NickDG

So Cal Fires . . .

We live near the Station Fire that started in La Cananda and last night about midnight we got a reverse 911 call telling us to be ready to evacuate if necessary.

At about 4:AM I drove around the neighborhood to see how close the fire actually was and saw the flames cresting the San Gabriel Mountains that are behind us. This area has not burned in over sixty years.

Right now (10:AM) it's very smokey here with ash falling all over. And the Fire Dept says they have zero percent containment. The good news is the winds are very light, if a Santa Ana Wind was blowing we'd be in big trouble for sure. The bad news is the temps will be over 100 F again today with very low humidity

There are also several other fires burning in So Cal as well. One in Palos Verdes (where Barbara Streisand lives) one in Hemet, another close to Pasadena, and the fourth in Idylwild.

NickD :|

>>Isn't there one in Burbank too? I saw it early last night.
Not that I know about. If you are looking North towards Burbank you are probably seeing either the Station or Pasadena fire (now being called the Morris fire).

We have all the important stuff staged for evac like our logbooks, photographs, and important papers. Everything else is replaceable. The only exception is Nina! And I really don't have a way to get her out of here . . .

Isn't there one in Burbank too? I saw it early last night.

It sure is creepy looking outside right now. The sky is just full of smoke.

Stay safe, Nick!

You're probably seeing the Station fire in LCF... it's just behind the Burbank hills, so it looks like it's coming from Burbank when you're in the valley.

Nick,
I'm probably only a couple miles from you (north of Glendale Community College), but we're pretty safe here. The fire would have to tear through hundreds of homes to reach us. If you need couch-space or a backyard for pets, drop me a PM.

I took this yesterday from up on Foothill Blvd. This was when it was only about 300 acres and the winds were taking it north. It's since shifted and grown to 1500 acres...

Here's the latest official info. So far the evac area is still a bit east of us . . .

"The Station Fire, which was originally traveling north in the Angeles National Forest, took a turn for the worse as winds shifted it southward towards homes in La Canada Flintridge.

1,500 acres have burned and containment has been downgraded to zero percent, says Gabriel Alverez, a fire information officer with the U.S. Forest Service. A mandatory evacuation is now in affect for 873 homes north of Vista del Valle Road, East of La Canada Boulevard and north of Starlight Crest Drive. The evacuation center is now at La Canada High School.

750 personnel have responded to the scene, which includes four helicopters, one air tanker and 14 to 16 engines. Highway 2 remains closed as the conflagration continues to move in a southward direction in triple digit heat."

LOL, the local weather guy on the TV just said, "The smoke is rising thousands of miles into the sky."

I guess it's really worse than I thought!

NickD :o

Thousands of miles? LOL

Nick, can you go get a trailer for Nina? Just in case?
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

LOL, the local weather guy on the TV just said, "The smoke is rising thousands of miles into the sky."

I guess it's really worse than I thought!

NickD :o

...and I was JUST telling my roommates that I didn't trust the local news because they're to sensationalist! :D

LAist seems to have pretty good fire coverage. They've been on the phone with LACFD for the past day...

I'm also following @LAFD, @LACFD, and @LATimesFires on twitter.

InciWeb also has a page about the fire, but they're really slow to update. Though, it did JUST get updated, so at least it's current now.

Your use of the word ,station,,what exactly does that mean? Station Fire...? makes no sensse to a midwest guy like me....is it the name of a subdivision?

Fires around California get names, usually related to where they started... The local Morris fire started near Morris Dam. The "Station" Fire actually started about 1 mile away from a fire station up in the hills. It's actually a really unfortunate name... Try googling "Station Fire California" and you'll get a ton of hits about "Fire Stations in California".

>>Station Fire...? makes no sensse to a midwest guy like me....is it the name of a subdivision?
No, ironically it's called the Station Fire becasue it started very close to a Fire Station in the Angeles National Forest. Usually they name wildfires here for whatever prominent landmark, neighborhood, or feature that's nearby . . .

NickD :)

>>Nick, can you go get a trailer for Nina? Just in case?
I suppose I could, but the problem is I have this EMS meeting at a hospital that I must attend tonight in downtown Los Angeles. So Julia will be here at home by herself. But I'm not too worried just yet, as she is all ready to go if need be.

And if worse comes to worse I'll just have to add another year and a half to Nina's five year plan . . . [:/]

Here's what the sky looks like behind my house.

I'm back from LA and all's okay at my place so far but there is a lot of fire right by the 2 and 210 freeway interchange.

A big thanks to Eric Gallan who called and volunteered to come by with his truck if Nina needed a ride out.

Still very smokey here . . .

NickD :)