mdrejhon

Proper storage of unpacked canopy for 2 weeks?

Hi,

I jumped my first packjobs this last weekend. Beer!!!

However, I had to leave in a carpool in a hurry right after my last jump, so I was told to pack next time or at home. He showed me how to carefully "braid" the lines, and stuff the canopy in my gear bag (a duffel bag) and put the rig on top of it.

Since I do not dare pack at home (not enough space, and I've only packed 5 times.) and will pack next time I am at the dropzone, I want to know what is the safest way to store an unpacked canopy.

Is it allright inside my gear bag for two weeks with my rig lying on top of it?

If you store it in your fridge that will keep it nice & fresh. Resist the urge to pack it in olive oil.
:P

We had delicious fried canopy the other day a couple months ago.

Somebody had some old canopy that was retired into the bonfire. :D

>Is it allright inside my gear bag for two weeks with my rig lying on top of it?

Sure. Best way to store a canopy is in a dry, dark area as loosely as possible; a trash bag is a good container to stuff it into. But given that most people store them far longer than two weeks packed tightly into a D-bag, storing it in a gear bag is fine. Just make sure there's nothing heavy/hard in the bag that can pinch the fabric.

Thanks,

I have now put the zippered duffel bag upsidedown just in case, so the rig is no longer compressing the canopy on top of it. The canopy fills about half of the duffel bag (same volume as a gym bag), so that's plenty loose enough I guess. The gear bag normally has enough room for a helmet, some logbooks and other gear, but I didn't pack any of those.

Good point about pinching. That shouldn't be a problem, it's a plastic zipper on a fabric bag, but I'll watch for pinch points and sharp objects.

A canopy sort of develops a "memory" of shape. If you can, just throw it over your shoulder and do a "Field Pack". Go through the motions of flaking it and folding it. So when you put it in your gear bag, at least is has the folds in the right places, and it's not all crinkled up. It will make it easier to pack in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I had to do that once so I took advantage of the situation to practice packing it a few times. I just left the last pack job in the container and then asked a packer to pull it out and grade me on how well I did the next time I went jumping. It gave me confidence when she said she would have jumped it .....

Stick the canopy in a pillow case. Preferably a Looney Tunes pillow case, but any will do. Stick it in up the risers and then tie off the pillow case arund the risers. Stick in closet as is, close door.

(Unless you have mice in your closet, that is the simplest safest way I know of storing an unpacked rig.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.