rivetgeek

SKydiving application

I am thinking about creating a skydiving application for my android based phone. Im looking for suggestions on useful features. Assume the phone has gps, accelerometer (senses direction and acceleration), compass, and can easily overlay onto google maps and also has full database and number crunching capabilities.

Here are some features I am considering:

1. standard dive tracking such as height, max speed, jump logging.

2. Automatic mapping of descent and landing pattern via the gps and compass.

3. Flare height tracking.

4. Gforce measuring.

5. Tracking of any other enabled devices on the jump (via google latitude).

Assume the world is your oyster, what features would you LOVE to see. If/when this gets done, it will be released for free on the android marketplace and possibly ported to other phone operating systems
~Bones Knit, blood clots, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars.~

I am thinking about creating a skydiving application for my android based phone. Im looking for suggestions on useful features. Assume the phone has gps, accelerometer (senses direction and acceleration), compass, and can easily overlay onto google maps and also has full database and number crunching capabilities.

Here are some features I am considering:

1. standard dive tracking such as height, max speed, jump logging.

2. Automatic mapping of descent and landing pattern via the gps and compass.

3. Flare height tracking.

4. Gforce measuring.

5. Tracking of any other enabled devices on the jump (via google latitude).

Mass data input of the 270 that led to the sweet swoop across the pond.

Assume the world is your oyster, what features would you LOVE to see. If/when this gets done, it will be released for free on the android marketplace and possibly ported to other phone operating systems

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Mass data input of the 270 that led to the sweet swoop across the pond.

Such as parachute characteristics like wingloading and whatnot? Or speed and height of turn?

No - I should know my wing loading before i start my turn.:D

like decent rate - altitude of initiation - duration of turn - over all efficiency of the process
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Totally doable. Though is there an empirical way to measure efficiency/success (aside from having the phone in one piece at the end)

Swoop distance.

And you would consider the start of a swoop from the moment when there are no lateral gforces and only forward movement?

I suggest that you allow the user to set a window as to where the lateral and vertical forces reach a certian level. A swoop does not really start until a somewhat level flight is established. You need to make it user adjustable because it will never be zero. Also, sometimes people swoop on curved paths, so lateral forces would be changing and not zero.

A set elevation - like the gates for the swoop its self - but the entire process should be recorded to find the efficiency from initiation to flare continuing even with how much speed is left at the end that needs to be run out..