warpedskydiver

Get well soon DSE!

Dude, your getting too old for that kind of shit! I hope the hurting stops soon. And thanks for giving the skydiving community an initial description of what happened. I'm sure we are going to talk about it a lot in the future.

Hi Mr Spot

Damn man you sure don't do anything half assedB|

You know the real deal, and you will excell in your recovery just like you've done with every other thing you've attempted.

No pain no gain[:/]

One Jump Wonder

Dude, your getting too old for that kind of shit! I hope the hurting stops soon. And thanks for giving the skydiving community an initial description of what happened. I'm sure we are going to talk about it a lot in the future.

I'm sure folks will talk about it for a while, I'm already hearing all sorts of bullshit about it, including that I have a compound femur, and other various shit that it was a low turn, etc.
Bottom line (aside from that I screwed up) is that the toggle loss/ target fixation coupled with fear of injury slowed my response time down enough that I didn't get to a rear riser. I'm absolutely convinced that had I reached that rear I could have flared it nicely and slid in on my thigh/calf.
I also feel like I "gave up" when I fixated on the target. I've had one guy in particular at the DZ constantly ragging on me about my landings (in spite of very opposite comments from any number of canopy coaches) and I think that those comments have had me paranoid at times. I simply "gave up" when I target fixated. I knew beyond any doubt at that moment, that I was going to die. Allthough I never lost consciousness on the ground, I'd told the paracrew and the LifeFlight crew that there is a DNR order in my locker at the DZ, and I demanded they obey it. They told me if I lost consciousness and they couldn't revive me, then they'd obey it and avoid life support. I'm grateful it didn't get that far.

The jump was an AFF practice jump where I was shooting Jay Stokes and his candidates. Everything about the jump was a little weird anyway. My Hypeye hit the door frame just right when one the candidates climbed out, and camera went into standby just at exit, so I missed about 2 seconds of the exit. Got it back on in mid jump. Then we hit very heavy industrial haze to where my fingers froze (I usually don't wear gloves, I like tactile feel of skin, even when it's cold), and then the two candidates both lost Jay so it was just he and I in the immediate area at deployment time. Deployment was 100% normal as was releasing wings, collapsing slider, taking toggles,
andmy shutting down camera. Video "sorta" shows that my hands are in toggles the way they usually are. (Ever since Shindig's incident, I've changed how I close up after a camera jump)

They put me back in ICU on Sat night and took me back out again today, turns out a torn ACL is now part of the mix of mess, but I did get up on a commode today, and did manage to try out my new pelvic hardware with a standing bar. I've been informed that I've got 3 more days in critical care and then 3-4 weeks convalescent care before I get to go home.
I'm grateful to folks that have send cards, letters, PM's, etc. They really do help, the vibes come through and they do inspire. I keep finding myself wishing occasionally that I had not survived this; the pain is unbelievable, and i've broken more bones than the average guy in my life, including punctured lungs and horse-stamped scrotums. The pelvic pain is beyond description, IMO.

Jay Stokes was on hand with some funny quips here in the ICU last night, as was Nick from PC, and a couple of local friends. It's been a hoot having them read the PM's and posts. Thanks a lot again, to everyone. It's incredibly sustaining.

Shit man... It hurts even reading about your injury :(

Hope for a good and fast recovery. :)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

It's been a hoot having them read the PM's and posts.

Good thing you said they were reading the pm's before I sent naked pics to cheer you up! ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Andrea, now you are going to cause him to have a heart attack too while in there if you keep teasing him like that!

Keep us posted on the rehab progress. It might seem like its not progressing that fast but you will be making huge gains with out even knowing it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

"I impacted on my ... scrotum"
" horse-stamped scrotums."

Dude, you are making the "big balls" jokes way too easy

True...but you gotta admit - it takes REAL talent to land on your scrotum!! :D

Hang in there, Spot...get better quick - you've got 30k+ people pulling for you!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

"I impacted on my ... scrotum"
" horse-stamped scrotums."

Dude, you are making the "big balls" jokes way too easy

haha and with a broken pelvis, most times the blood pools in the scrotum making it look like GIANT eggplants! Shit is unreal to look at! :ph34r:

Glad to see ya up and around Doug... keep up the good work with PT!!! Hey, if you're still stuck in UT the end of July beg. of August, I'll be up that way. I'd be happy to help out in any way needed!

Take care!
g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Steveorino - It needed to be a picture of a flying squirrel.;)
A friend sent me the vid of the guys doing the Wingsuit BASE in Norway (the one where the guy flies real close to the road) and she called them "squirrel suits":D:D:D

DSE - I'm glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Good thing you said they were reading the pm's before I sent naked pics to cheer you up! ;)

You never sent naked pix, because I'd send copies of mine right back. I no longer have "balls."
I have a "ball." I'm a one-ball-man. It's circumfrence is slightly smaller than that of a football. Yes, the nurses make fun of me. Yes, they take photos. Yes, there is even one on someone's facebook page. "Hurt" doesn't describe this purple/blue/red/yello/green marble that prevents legs from closing. They tie my ankles together at night to prevent my legs from sliding off either side of the bed. I have my own "nut bra" made from a pillow case.

Tomorrow I'm being transferred to convalescent care for the next 3 weeks or so. I'm supposed to be walking with a walker by then, and crutches in 5 weeks. In the meantime, I'm considering the benefits of becoming a eunich anyway. I'm not the first to experience this, not the last, but damn....it hurts. Stupid hurts.

Two words of advice; avoid object fixation, because hitting the object is probably less painful than missing your flare as a result.
Learn to find your rears FAST. I thought I had this nailed, because of how I manage camera and wingsuit jumps. I was wrong.

I have a "ball." I'm a one-ball-man.

careful now, I think Rick has that copyrighted.
:):S

Spot it's so good to see you posting all over this place again.
Hang in there.
One day at a time.
I can't imagine how much pain you're in... will boobies make you feel better? You know I'm still coming to your boogie :P

Thinking of you every day and sending you my best vibes...

You never sent naked pix, because I'd send copies of mine right back. I no longer have "balls."
I have a "ball." I'm a one-ball-man. It's circumfrence is slightly smaller than that of a football. Yes, the nurses make fun of me. Yes, they take photos. Yes, there is even one on someone's facebook page. "Hurt" doesn't describe this purple/blue/red/yello/green marble that prevents legs from closing. They tie my ankles together at night to prevent my legs from sliding off either side of the bed. I have my own "nut bra" made from a pillow case.

Tomorrow I'm being transferred to convalescent care for the next 3 weeks or so. I'm supposed to be walking with a walker by then, and crutches in 5 weeks. In the meantime, I'm considering the benefits of becoming a eunich anyway. I'm not the first to experience this, not the last, but damn....it hurts. Stupid hurts.

Mr Spot

Your a video dude:|

We want pics:P

FWIW Don't beat yourself up about the stupid part. Your alive.:)
Now get better and take pics.

Two words of advice; avoid object fixation, because hitting the object is probably less painful than missing your flare as a result.
Learn to find your rears FAST. I thought I had this nailed, because of how I manage camera and wingsuit jumps. I was wrong.

One Jump Wonder

Steveorino - It needed to be a picture of a flying squirrel.;)
A friend sent me the vid

How is this?

Nope, that one clearly has 2 balls.;):P:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

ain't gonna show you my ball... but if you use your imagination, there *is* a cantelope beneath that gown.

Got moved to a rehab department today. Between 8 days in ICU, 3 days in Critical Trauma, and now my first day in Trauma Rehab...there is a huge variance in food, attitude, and bed wow....