warpedskydiver

Get well soon DSE!

Latest update:
Douglas got out of surgery a few hours ago. His pelvis is back in one piece now (yay!).

Just to clarify a mistake in the original news story.. there was no femur break. The pelvis was in 2 pieces and it allowed 1 leg to be slightly higher than the other, which is why initially the paramedics thought he may have had a broken femur.

Doctors want him to be up & mobile soon. We'll see how that goes... I think Douglas will likely be online posting for himself within a week.

The posts of good wishes are appreciated by me, Douglas' family, and of course Doug himself. They've been read to him in the hosiptal so keep 'em coming =]

Chris

So glad to hear his femur isn't broken too. Did the doc say how long it'll take before he's fully healed and back to his old life?

I was thrilled to get a text from him late last night. It said, "alive>srill". His drugged texts give me a grin because normally he's such a stickler for proper grammar and spelling. Well, except for commas, he uses too many of those. (That's for your benefit, Douglas! ;))

Edit: Douglas texted this morning and said he'll live, but it hurts a lot though. He apprecitates the vibes from everyone, so keep 'em coming!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

:(:([:/]

:( Justin just told me you are hurting Douglas.

I'm sending you some old but powerful energy to help you heal... I know we'll be seeing you when you are ready again,.... and I'll "take you with me" on my next "spirit puffy flight".... Stoney
Life is what happens while we are making other plans.

Hi guys,
thaks for ll the kind words of support, phone calls, PM's, etc; You cannot possibly know how much they have meant.
First off, WTF happened!!?? I'm still very doped up but here is my best (I've dreamed/relived at least three times a day, l clearly recall coming for a 90 on my front risers, slowly releasing my right riser to transition. I typically hold entire hand through toggle and use two fingers on risers, I believe this to be the case in this jump.
I don't know how/why I lost the toggle, I just did. No good explanation. I immediately went for my right rear riser and at the same time, fixated my vision on our swoop noodles. I was afraid of impaling myself on one of them (Highly unlikely, but wo says fear is rational?)
Anyway....ground rush took over. I impacted on my left knee and scrotum, then tried to PLF but there was just too much energy. Pelvis split in half, L1, 2,3 all broke into bits, and the sacrum broke off as well.
They needed to stabilize me after all the blood loss, so Thursday was surgury day (accident on monday).
Just now starting PT and remembering swearwords I thought I'd left in my distant past. Missy and Heather (PT ladies) must have strong ears.
No night is without agony; pain runs somewhere between excruciating and torturus, but at least I'm breathing without help now, and can hold my own cup of water. I got out of ICU this morning, which is why I'm allowed a 'puter. Up to now, Parachutist and Mannie have been reading posts and emails to me.
I'm sure I'll get ripped a lot, I really don't know how the toggle was no longer in my hand. I'm just surprised to be alive. The docs say that this sort of pelvic injury is rarely survived, so I guess I've been lucky.
Thank you all again, and I hope to be back in the sky sooner than later.

~d

SO good to read your words, DSE!

I can imagine what you're going through (one of my current patients has a similar injury to yours and YES the swear words are part of the recovery). Us therapists DO have 'strong ears'. :P

In my patient's words now (3 weeks later from his car accident) 'he's amazed that it -does- get better and to hang in there'! And yes, the pain meds are sent from god...without them there'd be no moving at all.

A new chapter in your book. One not planned for, but wow is it going to be a doozy!

"Happy" healing . . .

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Spot, so good to see you back and locking down threads!

Heal up and take care. So very glad your still with us. Don't worry about the pain terrorist, I think they all have to have thick skin and be hard of hearing to do that job. :P

Take care,
BK

I can't believe you're starting PT already, but I'm so glad to hear you're on your way to being all fixed up. Keep us informed on your progress! :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I can't believe you're starting PT already

We start them as soon as medically stable. The sooner the better to prevent 1) Loss of muscle mass (strength), 2) Promote healing (improved circulation and bone strength), 3) Improve mental status (who likes to be cooped up between 4 walls for hours on end? . . . without end), and 4) Prevent horrid things like pneumonia and bed sores.

And yes, the initials P.T. don't just stand for Physical Therapy . . . they really stand for "Pain and Torture". :$

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I can't believe you're starting PT already

We start them as soon as medically stable. The sooner the better to prevent 1) Loss of muscle mass (strength), 2) Promote healing (improved circulation and bone strength), 3) Improve mental status (who likes to be cooped up between 4 walls for hours on end? . . . without end), and 4) Prevent horrid things like pneumonia and bed sores.

And yes, the initials P.T. don't just stand for Physical Therapy . . . they really stand for "Pain and Torture". :$

ltdiver

You are not kidding, we used to have to get up and make our own beds @ 04:30 back in 1983

Back then it was like medieval torture.

Oh and they did not want to use too much pain meds because it "could be habit forming"

I think the patients bill of rights was the best thing ever.:)

It is so good to hear from you again. Are you carrying a plate in the pelvis now? I've known others to have to get that. Sorry to hear you're in huge pain. Can someone bug the staff for you so that they will manage that for you better. There's always some better drugs somewhere. Suffering does not make you stronger.

Those PT peeps can be real inquisitors, can't they?;) I'm glad you are already in physical therapy. That means you're starting to heal.

Doug, you wouldn't believe how relieved we all are that you are still here with us. Valinda and I are already looking forward to the next time we get to hang out with you. Heal fast, and make them take good care of you.

John

Hi Doug....

I'm glad the surgery went awesome and that u are on your way to recover...I hate pain myself so take the pain meds as much as u can....I luv morphine

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

So good to hear from you!! We were really worried about you! Still are but it's just such a relief to hear from you!!

I've always said: "To be in pain, means you are alive, and that's a good thing." However John is also correct. Make sure they are giving you good pain meds that work for you. There are a lot of different combinations they could try. I suggest you try them all until you find one you like! ;)

Keep in touch! We are looking forward to hanging out with you again!! You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Let us know if we can do anything! :)

Hi guys,
thaks for ll the kind words of support, phone calls, PM's, etc; You cannot possibly know how much they have meant.
First off, WTF happened!!?? I'm still very doped up but here is my best (I've dreamed/relived at least three times a day, l clearly recall coming for a 90 on my front risers, slowly releasing my right riser to transition. I typically hold entire hand through toggle and use two fingers on risers, I believe this to be the case in this jump.
I don't know how/why I lost the toggle, I just did. No good explanation. I immediately went for my right rear riser and at the same time, fixated my vision on our swoop noodles. I was afraid of impaling myself on one of them (Highly unlikely, but wo says fear is rational?)
Anyway....ground rush took over. I impacted on my left knee and scrotum, then tried to PLF but there was just too much energy. Pelvis split in half, L1, 2,3 all broke into bits, and the sacrum broke off as well.
They needed to stabilize me after all the blood loss, so Thursday was surgury day (accident on monday).
Just now starting PT and remembering swearwords I thought I'd left in my distant past. Missy and Heather (PT ladies) must have strong ears.
No night is without agony; pain runs somewhere between excruciating and torturus, but at least I'm breathing without help now, and can hold my own cup of water. I got out of ICU this morning, which is why I'm allowed a 'puter. Up to now, Parachutist and Mannie have been reading posts and emails to me.
I'm sure I'll get ripped a lot, I really don't know how the toggle was no longer in my hand. I'm just surprised to be alive. The docs say that this sort of pelvic injury is rarely survived, so I guess I've been lucky.

~d

so glad to read a post from you bro. I've been trying send you healing vibes every time I released a practice arrow these last several days. hope you heal soon and we can fly our wingsuits together sooner rather than later. hopefully p.r. boogie next year?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Holy shit Spot!!! Its so good to hear from you. I was out jumping today and wondering how you were doing the entire time at the dz. I hate that you're in pain but it will eventually pass. Im just glad you're still with us. Have a speedy (but safe) recovery and our next jump togeather will be on me.:)

Muff #5048

Pissed Off, Patience, and Recovery - it's a process.
One day at a time and on some days one moment at a time.
From what I've heard of you, your up to the challange and will make a remarkable recover. Take your time, the skys not going anywhere.

RobH

Hi guys,

~d

Spot,
thanks so much for letting us know of your recollection of the incident. doc and i think of you often and are thankful you are still here to grace us with your smile. let us know if you need anything.....hopefully we will see you soon.;)

C-

ETA: PT's are tough but with patience persistence and a little feistiness you will be thankful for them as they get you stronger, faster -------- I had a total lovehate thing for my PT with the knee....but thankful for them as they allowed me to return to the sport sooner than expected.:)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!