PLFXpert

Quality Control: Mystery Skydiver

(Please state why.)

What if a third-party, in the interest of skydiver safety, employed a "myster skydiver". I.e. a tandem passenger, AFF-student or otherwise that was actually D-licensed, credible and knowledgeable about proper procedure to show up at random DZs and report back on his or her findings?
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

(Please state why.)

What if a third-party, in the interest of skydiver safety, employed a "myster skydiver". I.e. a tandem passenger, AFF-student or otherwise that was actually D-licensed, credible and knowledgeable about proper procedure to show up at random DZs and report back on his or her findings?

I've always thought it would be a lot of fun to show up at a DZ where you were unknown, go through AFF training, and then give the AFFI's a first-time jump they would never forget. >:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

(Please state why.)

I said yes...but (there is always a butt) how does one make sure the plant isn't bias. Maybe I should have said no because of the political nature of a test like this? ....hummmmm...[scratching head - may be reconsidering]...

I've always thought it would be a lot of fun to show up at a DZ where you were unknown, go through AFF training, and then give the AFFI's a first-time jump they would never forget.

After walking onto Spaceland Saturday, one of the manifesters thought I was a tandem student. I had played along to just be handed the paperwork when another jumper punked me out. That's too bad, that would have been fun.:D

Of course, Stevie was behind the newer manifester trying really hard not to laugh. I was talking about how scared of a tandem jump I was...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's too bad, that would have been fun.:D

I think so, too. I mean, I lack the jumpmaster/tandem-master know-how to qualify for the position, but...I am happy to fly under the radar in real life. In fact, I think it super-fun. >:( When someone assumingly acts as an informant bestowing upon me great information I could not possibly know, I smile and and enjoy! I am missing that chip that needs to speak up and show my feathers. I would rather observe and document.

That's the problem. As fluid as the sport is and how much people travel, if someone has enough experience as an instructor to be considered to have an expert opinion, then they are probably known well enough to be ineffective.

There might be a 182 DZ somewhere in central West Virginia that may have no ties with the outside skydiving community. I'm sure they wouldn't care what that outside expert said anyways.

completely possible to obviate.

Fake information on the waiver? That can get you into trouble depending on local state laws. Of course, that would only come into play if there was an injury or death.

My point is that if you take someone who has the experience to be considered an expert (lets say over 1000 or 2000 instructional jumps alone), they have probably traveled. They have problem been to a couple of boogies or even have competed before. The point is that it would be easy for them to be recognized when traveling to a random DZ. Even out of state. That would negate the effectiveness of the "secret shopper."

Who would run the program and who would benefit?

Fake information on the waiver?

Um, no.

My point is that if you take someone who has the experience to be considered an expert (lets say over 1000 or 2000 instructional jumps alone), they have probably traveled...

I said knowledge of tandem, AFF and otherwise. I do not agree it takes one to two-thousand jumps to equal this. In fact, I would not even say many or all 1k to 2k jumpers even remember or know all there would be to know, and know currently, for a tandem or jumpmaster to know. It is very easy for many people to become complacent.

(Please state why.)

I've always thought it would be a lot of fun to show up at a DZ where you were unknown, go through AFF training, and then give the AFFI's a first-time jump they would never forget. >:(

:)

>I've always thought it would be a lot of fun to show up at a DZ where
>you were unknown, go through AFF training, and then give the AFFI's a
>first-time jump they would never forget.

I've done that . . .

Hey!>:(
Don't just leave us hanging;
Let's hear the story!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

(Please state why.)

They should be doing this every day at the Skyride DZs just to keep them on the straight and narrow. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There's nothing new under the sun . . .

Back in the early 90s USPA (on the sly) proposed just such a thing. And I got an invitation to sign up for it. And I did.

I was going to go around to USPA group member DZ's and pose as a first jump student for AFF courses. But once we sat down to work out the nuts and bolts of it I realized I was going to probably get punched in the nose a lot. Plus I'd have to subject myself to jumping all the crap student gear in the world. (The kind of gear that would probably save a student, but kill me).

We all, USPA, me, and a few others involved, came to our senses and realized it was a stupid idea . . .

NickD :)

I can think of a few Tandem Mills around Las Vegas that need a mole to ride passenger on a few jumps.

I used my own rig at a Vegas DZ during a bachelor party. I remember pulling at 5k and seeing the tandems pull at about 3.5k at the most, maybe 3k.

The DZO said it's a trade secret when I ask before the jump what they pull at.