kruisekat824

Paypal stuff

So, I'm selling an old ring on craigslist and the lady that wants to buy it is having me ship it to her brother in PA so he can send it to Africa I guess. Seems kinda weird to me but she already sent me the money on paypal so I figure its good to go now. Paypal sent me an email saying they would deposit the money in my account when I provide them the tracking number. I guess I'm just asking if anybody knows more about paypal than I do and if this sounds legit?

Thanks!

So, I'm selling an old ring on craigslist and the lady that wants to buy it is having me ship it to her brother in PA so he can send it to Africa I guess. Seems kinda weird to me but she already sent me the money on paypal so I figure its good to go now. Paypal sent me an email saying they would deposit the money in my account when I provide them the tracking number. I guess I'm just asking if anybody knows more about paypal than I do and if this sounds legit?

Thanks!

I just had something like that happen to me on my PSP that im selling. He said he wants to send me money and ill ship it USPS international.

Im not going to do it, seems too fishy.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I just sold some stuff on Ebay, and the whole tracking # thing is legit - I think it's a new layer of protection for the buyer/seller, sort of an escrow account. After the item sold, the funds were held up or whatever until I entered the UPS tracking number and it was verified as legit. Then I got my $$. No hassles.

Easy Does It

Thanks!

Sounds like a scam using a stolen PayPal account, which seems to be becoming more common.

An important aspect of Craigslist is the ability to sell locally for cash in order to avoid scams.

Edit to add: I use PayPal fairly frequently, and have never received such an email. Does your PayPal account show the pending transaction if you log in directly (i.e. not going to the site via any links in the email, but rather typing "paypal.com" into your browser)?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

It's not a scam. I've expeienced it myself, not biggie at all. It seems to be to help prevent people from getting ripped off, paying for things then the seller never ships the item. Paypal will verify that the UPS number is legit. As far as where the ring goes after the transaction is complete, who cares who the buyer sends it to after she receives it? If I buy a box of rocks from some one, do you think it matters if I send it to my nephew in Swabovia afterwards?

Easy Does It

Thanks!

to Africa ? a ring ? Don't have they nice and cheap conflict diamonds there ? :)

IT sounds like a scam with a stolen Paypal account. I would forgo using paypal for this, and ask them to send you either :

USPS money orders, and go the the Post Office, cash them and only AFTERWARDS send the ring
OR
Western Union transfer, go to the WU office, get the cash, and only AFTERWARDS send the ring.

I have a lifetime of mailorder and this has a very bad smell to it

Be careful...a lady I work with had her son ship an Ipod touch to Nigeria after getting an e-mail similar to that. He clicked through a link in the e-mail and it showed as a pending transaction. Once the item was shipped and the tracking number sent to paypal, they had no record of the transaction. It was an elaborate fake confirmation page.

I had the same thing happen when I was selling a laptop. I thought it looked fishy so I called paypal and they said it was a scam. They said that they are not an escrow company and don't put holds on money. This was over a year ago so maybe some things have changed but I would call paypal and find out for yourself. Once it is shipped there there is no gong back. Good luck

Only send items paid for through PayPal to the confirmed address. You might be okay with this deal, but oftentimes, people make purchases with stolen credit card numbers/PayPal accounts and claim to be making the purchase for a third party as part of a common scam. In many of these scams, you will get your money, however, when the authorized credit card owner gets their bill the next month or so and they dispute the purchase, PayPal can pull the money back out of your account. Be careful with this one. Don’t assume that because you have received payment on a third party sale that the money is yours to keep.