namgrunt

Are you going to take the shot(swine flu)

yep...but i am high risk population working in the er so...... kind of a must.

I have never had one.

However, now that I have taken a job in urgent care, I will be getting both H1N1 and the regular flu vaccine this year. Sucks to break my streak, but I cannot catch something from patients, and with 40-60 people per day, my odds of exposure are nearing 100%.

interestingly enough....i saw a ton of flu-a/b last season and didn't get vaccinated. Never did come down with flu....but i do wash my hands like there is no tomorrow....so maybe that is the reason why. as for numbers...right now we are seeing a lot of flu in our area....so i figure, well, i will eventually get it due to the exposure risk so better make sure i am vaccinated this year.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

No.

It's just flu.

True. However, as it is a new strain, no one's immune system is prepared for it. So although this particular strain doesn't seem to be particularly lethal (as long as it doesn't mutate into a more potent strain), it is extremely contagious. To a point where the question is probably not whether or not you will contract it, but when.
More so than people having flu, what seems to worry various authorities the most is having a huge majority of the population having the flu at the same time. Surely having 80% of the work force (police department, firefighters, bank employees, hospital staff, etc...) at home slurping chicken soup at the same time is not good news.

Hence the vaccine...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I live in a college community and interface closely with the students on a daily basis. A few weeks ago, it was reported that 2,000 students had contracted the flu. One was briefly hospitalized. Around that time, I felt flu-like symptoms for a couple days, and that was it. As far as I'm concerned, I've been exposed already, and a flu shot for that particular strain is pointless.

yeah, you cougs got nailed in the last couple of weeks........
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I live in a college community and interface closely with the students on a daily basis. A few weeks ago, it was reported that 2,000 students had contracted the flu. One was briefly hospitalized. Around that time, I felt flu-like symptoms for a couple days, and that was it. As far as I'm concerned, I've been exposed already, and a flu shot for that particular strain is pointless.

I don't follow football, but the buzz around here is that they'll continue to get nailed all season.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I did a jokey illustration for the vaccine a while back. :)

True. However, as it is a new strain, no one's immune system is prepared for it.

I didn't know that. I thought older people were meant to be safer from the virus because their bodies already had some resistance due to having flu in the past, is that not right?
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

I thought older people were meant to be safer from the virus because their bodies already had some resistance due to having flu in the past, is that not right?

It actually seems that in few parts of the world, there are older people who seem to be somewhat immune, which could mean that a similar strain did hit these parts several decades ago (although I believe this was only an observation, not a medical fact as of few weeks ago). However, I seem to remember that this was quite localized, so older people in general are probably not any more immune to this strain than younger people.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I had to attend a mandatory dinner last night about H1N1. The at risk age range are 24-64. They are not as concerned with seniors and 6 months and younger like previous yrs with the influenza. H1N1 will only be 1 dose unlike the the 2 they originally thought. Only side effects seen so far have been redness and swelling at the injection site. Both the yearly infuenza vaccine and H1N1 may be given the same day in different injection sites. Now, If a person gets the live vaccine(flumist) they must wait 28 days between the two vaccines.

If a person has been suspected/diagnosed with the flu they are allowed to return to work or school after 24hr as long as they have started tamiflu and or relenza. My jaw dropped when I heard them say any medical personnel suspected to have any flu like symptoms it was a mandatory 7 days before being allowed back to work.

This dinner was hosted by the Medical Director of the Health Department and Metcare. You can also see more information on this site.Flu info

I will be getting both flu vaccines.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

For those who aren't planning on getting the vaccine, beware. It's too late for him, but you can still be saved.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't follow football, but the buzz around here is that they'll continue to get nailed all season.

Ain't that the truth. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I thought older people were meant to be safer from the virus because their bodies already had some resistance due to having flu in the past, is that not right?

It actually seems that in few parts of the world, there are older people who seem to be somewhat immune, which could mean that a similar strain did hit these parts several decades ago (although I believe this was only an observation, not a medical fact as of few weeks ago). However, I seem to remember that this was quite localized, so older people in general are probably not any more immune to this strain than younger people.

Ah, thanks for that.
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

My elderly parents got the regular flu shot at a clinic, then they asked their GP about the H1N1 vaccine due to be out soon. He said the consensus in the medical community is that it is so new, and being rushed into production so quickly, nobody (i.e., doctors) knows anything reliable yet about its safety or efficacy, so the best he'd say was: do your own research and make your own decision.

That was his expert opinion and guidance?? Well, I was pissed at the non-answer answer, so I had my parents call their cardiologist. He gave them essentially the same answer.

Then I called my own doctor's medical group. Got basically the same answer. >:(

Next week I will be publishing a conspiracy theory.

Property of the US Government...

Like I have a choice.[:/]

same here...

i'd rather a NEEDLE SHOT than that snort-flu-shot deal...ugh.

That stuff is gross.

And to answer the question... the govt cant force me anymore, so NO.

Me too. Three years of BS injections for every damn thing was long enough. :S

The ONE AND ONLY time I had a flu shot as a civilian made me the sickest I had been that year.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

My elderly parents got the regular flu shot at a clinic, then they asked their GP about the H1N1 vaccine due to be out soon. He said the consensus in the medical community is that it is so new, and being rushed into production so quickly, nobody (i.e., doctors) knows anything reliable yet about its safety or efficacy, so the best he'd say was: do your own research and make your own decision.

That was his expert opinion and guidance?? Well, I was pissed at the non-answer answer, so I had my parents call their cardiologist. He gave them essentially the same answer.

Then I called my own doctor's medical group. Got basically the same answer. >:(

Next week I will be publishing a conspiracy theory.

Hehehehe...seems like you couldn't ask for a more honest answer. You are asking for a professional opinion on something they have absolutely no experience with. Now I know plenty of people on here give opinions and advice without having anything to back it up with, but it's kind of refreshing to me to hear someone say "I don't know."
Killing threads since 2004.

I'll be getting the vaccines, both the regular flu shot and the H1N1 shot. I spend time caring for my elderly grandparents as well as my twin cousins, who are under a year old, and I won't risk catching anything I could spread to any of them.

The young and the elderly are the least likely to die from H1N1:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/68151.html?wlc=1253416050
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Holy Crap! The Roo hops in for a hop by! B|

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

:D:D:D

yep hopin by cause I got internet for a moment.. dont uhhhh exactly have a consistant conection as I am well I cant have that bill so.... there. ( thats like 2 jumps a month for that stuff?!! lol) :P
(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama