namgrunt

Are you going to take the shot(swine flu)

Nope. Not because of religion, sexual preference is why I won't allow my self to be injected with pork:ph34r::D

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I've never had a flu shot before but I've been considering this one. I haven't decided. On the one hand, it seems like this flu has mutated into something a lot less serious. I'm healthy and not in one of the "high risk" categories. But I will also be going to Mexico in November for a long awaited vacation. I'd hate to ruin my vacation by getting sick.

I've never had a flu shot before but I've been considering this one. I haven't decided.

That's about where I am. I haven't even had the flu since the early 80's, but this one seems like a decent target.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Had the regular flu shot, swine flu shots are on order. Our supervisor (EMS) gave us the whole the shots are your decision, but I hope you make the right decision speech. My town's population grows in size by 4 or 5 times with snowbirds, approximately 3/4 of which will come down with the flu this winter. Of that number, about half of them will call for an ambulance (or Medicare Taxi as we must be listed somewhere) instead of getting someone to drive them. 40 minutes is the back of the truck with one person with the flu is enough for me to get a flu shot, much less 5 or 6 per day.
Killing threads since 2004.

I'm in a high-risk group, and not easily influenced by idiot conspiracy theorists....so yes, I'm getting one as soon as they're available.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

yep...but i am high risk population working in the er so...... kind of a must.

I have never had one.

However, now that I have taken a job in urgent care, I will be getting both H1N1 and the regular flu vaccine this year. Sucks to break my streak, but I cannot catch something from patients, and with 40-60 people per day, my odds of exposure are nearing 100%.

Yeup, getting it. I work in health care plus I have asthma.

Although, I think there is a good chance I've already had it, never got tested though since whatever I had didn't get too serious.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I live in a college community and interface closely with the students on a daily basis. A few weeks ago, it was reported that 2,000 students had contracted the flu. One was briefly hospitalized. Around that time, I felt flu-like symptoms for a couple days, and that was it. As far as I'm concerned, I've been exposed already, and a flu shot for that particular strain is pointless.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

In the late 70s, there was an announcement of the first Swine Flu
that anyone had ever heard of. They were saying that everyone
should get the shot, but especially people in certain risk categories -- like senior citizens.

Then, 2 days later, they announced that Social Security was
having a budget crisis...

Then, 2 days later, they announced that some people, mainly
senior citizens were dying from the shots. The program was cancelled.

Probably nothing more than a coincidence...
:)

I just got the seasonal flu shot, not the H1N1flu shot.

As a biologist I have difficulty understanding what non-scientists think about vaccinations. Some of them seem to think that vaccinations are bad, because of some weird idea that vaccinations step in & do the job that your own immune system should be doing.

It would appear that people with such beliefs do not understand the concept of priming B-lymphocytes.

Vaccinations do not replace your immune system, they work with it.

does anyone want to respond?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------