Superman32

Why you do what you do

Every once in a while need little reminders of why we do what we do. Why put myself through the debt, stress and misery of med school?

I got my little reminder a couple of nights ago, when I had my hands inside the chest of 16 year old, pumping his heart with my hands :)
Yesterday, I also did my first lumbar puncture, which is obviously not nearly as awesome as intrathoracic cardiac compression, but there is something to be said about sticking a big needle into someone's spinal canal.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Unfortunately the kid didn't make it (multiple gun shot wounds to the chest), but not for the lack trying. He was worked on for a long time.

In what may appear as very cold thing to say, it was a great learning experience with great teaching - Hopefully we can use the lessons from this patient for a better outcome on the next.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Unfortunately the kid didn't make it (multiple gun shot wounds to the chest), but not for the lack trying. He was worked on for a long time.

In what may appear as very cold thing to say, it was a great learning experience with great teaching - Hopefully we can use the lessons from this patient for a better outcome on the next.

i didnt think that the kid made it.
Yeah as long as you learned something from it then it wasnt a TOTAL loss (not saying it wasnt tragic, but at least something good did come from it). The longest code i worked lasted for about an hour or so, and had me running from room to room in the ER breaking open code carts for more drugs. She was a 26 year old, with a massive pulmonary embolism (they think, never found out for sure), but either way, i got my first intubation, and learned what QUALITY CPR was all about.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.