TrophyHusband

my first 5k

We have our first event under our belt and I can't wait until our next one. We timed our arrival to the event just right. We picked up our packets, found the bathroom, returned our bags of goodies to the truck and had time to mill around for just a little bit before heading to the starting line. While walking around, I found the one person in the crowd that I was sure I would be able to beat. She was a 300 plus pound woman that wore a bright pink shirt that said "Cancer Sucks" in huge letters on the front. Meg warned me not to underestimate people.

We knew we would be running slow (Meg runs much less slow than I do, but she wanted to run with me), so we picked a spot behind the starting line with about two thirds of the racers in front of us. This proved to be the right choice since not a lot of people passed us and we didn't pass a lot of people. When the race started, we took off on our slow, plodding pace and started the timers on our watches as we crossed the starting line.

The plan was to walk for one minute after every six minutes of walking, but even though the course was more hilly than we expected, I was feeling pretty good so we decided to walk after every seven minutes of running.

The first person that really caught our eye was a woman running in a skirt. This wasn't a skirt one would wear to work or out to dinner. It matched her sports bra and was made of the same moisture wicking as all other athletic clothing, but still, the woman was running in a skirt.

During our first walking break, we got passed by a woman somewhere in the vicinity of 70 years old who was race-walking. "Walking Granny" waddled past us at a steady pace and had not gained a whole lot of ground before our minute was up. When we started running again, I falsely assumed we would pass her, but our plod was apparently only slightly faster than her walk. We didn't even catch up to her before it was time to take our second walk break.

"Running Skirt" was also still just a little ahead of us as well. By the time our third walking break came, I thought for sure that Walking Granny should be running out of steam. I mentioned to Megan that we should be able to pick up the pace a little towards the end and pass her. Meg said that we would have to pick up the pace right then if we were to have any chance of beating her, but we were going the long final hill, and I didn't think I could pick up the pace and keep it up for the rest of the race.

Running Skirt decided that she could go a lot faster and she quickly disappeared ahead of us and that was the last we saw of her. Near the end of the final hill, at the second to last turn, we saw someone that I had forgatten about. "Cancer Sucks" had finally slowed to a walk, probably done in by the long hill, and gave us a chance to pass her. Once past her far enough to be out of earshot, I said to Megan with a fake-cocky air in my voice, " see, I told you I would beat her". We had a straight stretch ahead of about 300 yards before the final turn. I had Walking Granny in my sights.

She wasn't far ahead of us and, nearing the end of the race, I knew I had enough left in the tank to overtake her. We sped up a little and on the final turn and passed her on the outside. With the finish line only 250 yards away. I lengthened my stride and picked up the pace. By this point, I had already run farther than I had run in any previous workouts before this, but Meg usually runs much farther than three miles at a time, so she easily matched my speed.

With walking Granny and Cancer Sucks safely behind us and only 100 yards left, Meg told me to run faster. I put on a burst of speed at was surprised that I was able to achieve a full sprint. Meg was also surprised by my final effort, but she still easily matched my speed. I hit the stop button on my watch, recording a time of 36:43, my new personal best.

Waiting for us at the finish line was our friend, Donna, who had arrived just in time to watch our dramatic finish. It was wonderful to see her there holding several cups of water for us and hugging us without reguard for our sweat-soaked clothes.

Our official time was probably about 37:02 or 37:03 since the official timer started at the same time for everyone, approximately 20 seconds before we even crossed the starting line.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Meg warned me not to underestimate people.

I like your wife. B|

Congrats on the first 5K! (BTW, paragraph breaks are your friend - that was hard to read!)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

i looked them up online when i got home. i would love to see my wife wear one, but that will never happen. at least i convinced her to get some form-fitting running shorts and pants that show off her tush rather than the old-lady-saggy-butt shorts she's been wearing.

www.kjandmegan.com

i have another 5k and a sprint triathlon that i'm signed up for. running isn't really my thing but my wife is a runner. before kids we used to spend weekends together at the dz, but she's done jumpiing so it gives us something to do together. we also bought bikes so now she wants us to do a century ride in march. in may there is a 5k run/5k open water swim i want to do as well.

www.kjandmegan.com

Congratz on the 5k and the personal best time! Sounds like you both had a great time!

My first 5k was in LA. The route finished inside the LA Coliseum, which was pretty cool on its own. The effect was heightened because the 5k had started about 3-4hr after the LA Marathon started, so there were folks in the stands cheering us on, as if we were part of the marathon. B|:D

The worst 5k I’ve done was a ‘jingle-bell’ run in Illinois in December. The temp wasn’t all that bad, but what seemed like a cute idea at first – to have a couple hundred runners tie jungle bells to our shoes – turned out to be dang annoying after about the 1st half mile. :P

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Sounds like a good way to spend time together. Have you considered a mini-marathon? I've done two of those and will participate in the Chicago Marathon in a little less than 3 weeks. The crowds and the other runners are a big encouragement.
The strong can always afford to be gentle, It is only the weak who need to "give as good as they get."

some skydivers from gold coast are doing an ironman this fall in pensacola. if you are into tri's, hook up with julie and pj. I am doing a sprint tri in biloxi in october and i know julie will be there. there may be a few other skydivers there as well, but i haven't gotten a firm commitment from them. here's the link:

http://www.trifind.com/re_9365/ElympicsKidsTriathlonandAdultTryAthlon.html

www.kjandmegan.com