TKATC

Ever been kicked off your DZ?

At a third DZ, high winds had shut down jumping near sunset. I saw Gold Knights drinking, so I opened my own beer. The DZO reamed me for drinking on his drop zone, but didn't say a word to the Knights. Those government contracts are that important!

For God sakes! - beer is to this sport as the Holy Grail is to Catholicism... Why would this DZO tell you not to drink beer at a DZ?... :S[:/]B|:|

careful, your newbiness is showing! Beer after hours is cool. Visible beer in or near the hangar during the day when there is at least the possibility of getting another load up is generally frowned upon. The GKs of course can do what they want! :P

depends what DZ you start at I never heard of a beer light until I started traveling to other dropzones:S we sell beer in manifest all day :o
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

At a third DZ, high winds had shut down jumping near sunset. I saw Gold Knights drinking, so I opened my own beer. The DZO reamed me for drinking on his drop zone, but didn't say a word to the Knights. Those government contracts are that important!

For God sakes! - beer is to this sport as the Holy Grail is to Catholicism... Why would this DZO tell you not to drink beer at a DZ?... :S[:/]B|:|

careful, your newbiness is showing! Beer after hours is cool. Visible beer in or near the hangar during the day when there is at least the possibility of getting another load up is generally frowned upon. The GKs of course can do what they want! :P

You misunderstood me...I wasn't trying to imply that anyone should drink while jumping - for obvious safety concerns; even 1 beer is 1 too much. However, if you're not jumping I see no reason why you can't drink early in the day before the beer light comes on.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Haha well I guess it just depends. I was at a boogie and this one guy said you just have to be the asshole that everyone expects to do something stupid that way no one is suprisedB| He said one time after a good skydive and he was under canopy he pulled out two beers and double fisted them before he landed.:o But he was pretty savage tho! lol

Me: I want to ride a bull out of a skyvan.
vegasjoe: How the hell are you going to land that thing?
Me: Who said anything about landed with it? I think after we'll have some Bar-B-Que.

I didn't misunderstand. There's a difference between quietly having a beer away from the skydiving activities and busting open a cooler full of them in the hangar or parking lot while they are still sending loads up. (and a gray area in between) As John pointed out, some dzs are a lot more strict about enforcing the "beerlight" than others. I know that when Roger Nelson was designing the "new" SDC, he put a little distance between the campground and the hangar for a reason and it wasn't so we'd get more exercise! :D

Ok...so here's the story and reason for my post. I am a bit upset that my partner in crime and I got booted off our local DZ UFN.

Our crime was that we stumbled onto the DZ around 3am drunk and stupid trying to visit a friend of ours. In the process we woke somebody up and they flipped out. We all know flipping out on drunk skydivers usually draws a negative reaction...but we left after 2 or 3 minutes. A few days later we did it again...not interntionally trying to wake anyone but I suppose this was the last straw for this person and he called the DZO at 3am, who in turn called the manager to reiterate that he wasn't to be bothered by phone calls at that hour unless somebody died.

The next morning the manager called my cell phone and left an extremely unprofessional message (profanity and whatnot) indicating we were banned UFN. He appearantly didn't want to hear our side of it, he just went straight to the ax.

Anyway, I think it is a pretty lame reason to get banned. I understand it is annoying to some that we got loud late at night but I think it is something you might expect at a DZ. I mean....does one buy a home next to an airport then complain about the noise of the aircraft that use it?

Seems pretty stupid to me?

If you didn't cause a rucus at 3 am, twice, you would still be jumping there?

Some simple Drop zone rules: don't steal the otter tow cart, don't wake up the DZO, don't bang his daughter, don't piss off the neighbors!

If you showed up drunk enough to wake people up, how did you get there in the first place. :|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

If so, for what atrocious offense did you commit and how long were you banned?

Never got kicked off myself, but in my time I have seen Bill Dause kick out quite a few jumpers from Pope Valley and Lodi. I quickly learned to keep a low profile, never pull low and not fuss about anything at the DZ. For cheap jumps it was worth keeping my mouth shut.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

depends what DZ you start at I never heard of a beer light until I started traveling to other dropzones:S we sell beer in manifest all day :o

Same thing for me. I thought people were joking when I went to another dz and they told me I had to drink in the parking lot until jumping was done. I thought "beer light" was just a phrase, I didn't know it was literal! :ph34r:

Next time we see each other in Z-hills or DeLand, let's have beer for breakfast on the deck, just cuz we can. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I am amused at the reaction of some parents at the DZ. Personally I like the stance that the Ranch and Orange VA take.

This isn't daycare folks, if you don't want them to hear it or see it, don't bring them.

Attention parents!!

Unattended children will be given large amounts of caffeine and sugar, as well as a puppy!

Please watch your kids!

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I "took sides" in a partners break up.

Dougie, you're not telling the whole story. That's just the tip of the iceberg; how many people were grounded or banned over those two seasons? Five? Six? It was unbelievable...

The briefest explanation is that the DZO punished people for personal issues he had with them. Because he disapproved of something I'd done (unrelated to jumping), my coach rating was "suspended" at this dz. I did a fun jump with Dougie a month or so later, shortly after he got off student status (with the DZO's permission). Because he was a newbie, we worked on skills. The DZO called it a coach jump, said I'd "undermined his authority" and GROUNDED me for the rest of the season (it was early August). >:(>:(>:(

The rationale behind his other bannings and groundings were similarly ridiculous. The end result is that he drove away almost all the fun jumpers. It's basically a tandem factory now. It's too bad, 'cause it was a sweet little place...:(
May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

I also really enjoyed the "Mary was only a virgin if you don't count anal" shirt...

Oh my god, I just blew tea out my nose...:D:D:D:D

OMG, I can't wait to get home. I HAVE to see this! I tried to open tshirthell.com in my office and the webfilter blocked it as a tasteless site lol :D:D

I "took sides" in a partners break up.

Dougie, you're not telling the whole story. That's just the tip of the iceberg; how many people were grounded or banned over those two seasons? Five? Six? It was unbelievable...

The briefest explanation is that the DZO punished people for personal issues he had with them. Because he disapproved of something I'd done (unrelated to jumping), my coach rating was "suspended" at this dz. I did a fun jump with Dougie a month or so later, shortly after he got off student status (with the DZO's permission). Because he was a newbie, we worked on skills. The DZO called it a coach jump, said I'd "undermined his authority" and GROUNDED me for the rest of the season (it was early August). >:(>:(>:(

The rationale behind his other bannings and groundings were similarly ridiculous. The end result is that he drove away almost all the fun jumpers. It's basically a tandem factory now. It's too bad, 'cause it was a sweet little place...:(

I was just contributing to the thread without airing dirty laundry or digging up dirt. That's all. :)
This is the new and improved more diplomatic Dougie. :P;)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I also really enjoyed the "Mary was only a virgin if you don't count anal" shirt...

OMG, I can't wait to get home. I HAVE to see this! I tried to open tshirthell.com in my office and the webfilter blocked it as a tasteless site lol :D:D

Hehe as I said it's a really good one but I could imagine some trouble with the average hill billy;)

Unfortunately it's not on t-shirt hell anymore...

Hehe as I said it's a really good one but I could imagine some trouble with the average hill billy;)

Unfortunately it's not on t-shirt hell anymore...

The best part about that t-shirt is the picture of Mary holding her finger to her lips as to say "Shhhhhhhh".

My ultimate favorite t-shirt from that site is the baby onesie that says "I ripped mommy a new one".:D

I was just contributing to the thread without airing dirty laundry or digging up dirt. That's all.

This is the new and improved more diplomatic Dougie.

Aw, come on. Airing dirty laundry and digging up dirt is the entire point of this thread! Can I have the indignant, mischief-making Dougie back?:P
May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

If so, for what atrocious offense did you commit and how long were you banned?

I was asked to leave a DZ this past weekend (not my home DZ) before I even got a chance to jump. At the party Friday night I was accused (bad rap) of trying to steal something (inexpensive non-skydiving item) that someone had given to me and I gave back as soon as they asked.

Not sure what their issue was or why they thought I was trying to steal it--although admittedly I was new at this place and they didn't know me. Not sure how long I'm banned from this DZ for. I'm going to try to get it sorted with the DZO tomorrow.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Anyway, I think it is a pretty lame reason to get banned. I understand it is annoying to some that we got loud late at night but I think it is something you might expect at a DZ.

WRONG!! People don't expect or deserve to be woken up by piss heads on a DZ (or anywhere else for that matter) ever, So...

Being very antisocial once ... really bad form.

Being really antisocial twice in the same week, to the same people.... You deserved what you got IMHO

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome