BaronVonBoll

Reading for pleasure

I am always suprised at the looks I get from the guiys at work when I am asked, "What you doing for the weekend?:", When I reply reading a book. There is something far more satifying reading a book for fun than whatching tv or going to a bar. IMHO.

If you read for fun who are your favorite authors a what genre?

Science fiction: Anne McCaferry, Elisabeth moon, Gordan Dickerson, Barry Sadler, Mercedes lacky, Andre Norton, Steven Gould, Robert Hienlien. Dickson, Leo Frankowski, David Webeer.

Fantasy: Robert Jordan, Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, Terry brooks,Orson Scott Card.

Fiction. Melville, Steven King, Dean Koontz, James Paterson, et al.

Favorite books: Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, Wheel of time series, Cross time engineer, Honor Series.

What are your favorites?

My dz got an ad from an old skydiver turned author who wrote a mystery book which was oriented around a Texas dropzone. There were a few goofy parts of the skydiving but it was overall very good and kept my attention enough to finish it in one night. Her website is www.rachelbrady.net and the book is called Final Approach.

I liked it.. (And no I don't know her :-)

King's Dark Tower series was a good read.

I really enjoyed reading those books. But it did have one effect on me that I could have done without....

For something like the next 10 years or so, I kept getting that stupid phrase in my head: "didachick, dodachock, dumdadum" if that's how it went.... :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I enjoyed a science fiction trilogy by Barry Longyear:

City of Baraboo
Elephant Song
Circus World

The first book describes the circus leaving earth and touring the galaxy, the second is about the aftermath of a crash landing on an uninhabited planet and the development of a civilization there, and the third book is about the way that civilization deals with interference from the rest of the galaxy.

Good for you for setting aside time to read. Like many people, these days I typically only read to pass the time on the train or when I'm trying to get to sleep at night.

It's not that I don't enjoy books - just that I find it hard to get into the mindset of reading as an end in itself rather than as a distraction.

I read for fun, but I never read fiction. I love non-fiction instead.

Why do so many people assume that you can only read fiction for fun? I get just as much, if not more, enjoyment out of non-fiction as I do fiction, plus I am learning something at the same time.

Anyhow, some of my favorite authors are Isaac Asimov (his non-fiction works, not his sci-fi), Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Robert Greene, Ayn Rand, Nathaniel Branden, Mark Bowden, Peter Maas, and Bob Woodward.

I don't agree with everything I read either. I like books by Zechariah Sitchin and A. Ralph Epperson, though I don't agree with much of their writings.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I read for fun, but I never read fiction. I love non-fiction instead.
Why do so many people assume that you can only read fiction for fun? I get just as much, if not more, enjoyment out of non-fiction as I do fiction, plus I am learning something at the same time?

Agree. Not a fiction reader here. I'm currently finishing "Bury Us Upside Down" by Rick Newman and Don Shepperd.