robskydiv

WorkOut Regimens

What kind of workout(s) do you do? I'll be forty-five in a few months, so heavyweights just isn't for me anymore. I mainly do dips (on chairs), push ups on chairs, curls (lightweight dumbells) and I have to abandon the running soon due to a sore right hip. I'd appreciate your input as to your various types of exercises.

3x/week with this guy, and 2-3x/week replicating the same type of workouts on my own. Hard to say what I do b/c it varies every day, but a lot of it is body weight exercises (plank, plank walkup, pushups, burpees, squat jumps, squats, lunges, situps, crunches, and variations of all of the above with weights), various things involving weights (dumbbells or kettle bells mostly), some running, some boxing, some kicking, the occasional sprint on the rowing machine, or climbing stairs carrying weights. And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head - it's all "boot camp" style workouts, not disssimilar to Crossfit (which you may want to look into - I know lots of people who swear by it). Very little of it involves fancy equipment or machines, which I love, and the variety keeps me interested/motivated and it's fun and efficient (30 mins/day).

That's what I do as formal "workouts," plus walking to/from work (1 mile each way, so it's not a huge amount of exercise, but a little bonus each day), and occasional fun stuff that's also a workout like hiking or snowboarding.

So far this year (I started mid-January) that's led to roughly 40 lb weight loss & 2 clothing sizes. I have more energy than I've had in a long time and am a lot more flexible and physically capable than I was before I started down this path. Still have a ways to go to achieve all my goals, but it feels really great. After the first couple weeks of "oh my god this is pure hell I hate it I hate it I hate it" now I just get a nice "I had a good workout" soreness and most of the daily aches and pains of life as you get older are gone.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yoga class, 1.5 hours, twice a week.
Lift weights 1 hour per week.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I walk or run five days/week. Walk when I truly do not feel like running but at least I got the eff up out of bed (while I am a morning person, I have to get up at 4:30 a.m. to have time to workout before everything else...).

Depending on how far I walk or run, I then do cross-training for a total of about 45 minutes to an hour five days a week.

I like yoga strength-training on bad-weather days. I never thought I could sweat indoors doing stretches, but...fucking yoga. I actually look forward to bad weather days. I like it much better than cardio, but cardio (running) keeps me slim, toned & hot, so...

:P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I hate running and running hates me. But I like the cross trainer/elliptical (has to have the hands move too though)

You're in your 20's - it was ok to prioritize - strength, cardio, flexibility

30's - cardio, strength, flexibility

40's - whole different animal - flex, cardio, strength

Every day - cross trainer and stretching (the stretching is very extensive now - I use the P90X routine as best I can remember) - that's an hour total since I've maxed out the cross trainer resistance (about 30 min each cardio and stretch). I'll just stretch in odd moments too - I'm really not flexible and want to fix that.

odd days - dumbells for chest and tri and arms (instead of bars or machines, I believe dumbbells give more to the stabilizers)

even days - back and legs or I go rockclimbing for the evening

I'm really neglecting abs and rotator cuffs though. But I'd need to choose to set aside more time to add that in - cuffs are easy and don't take much time - the core work would require more.

once I hit my target flexibility, I'm going to try the P90X sequences per the plan and see if that covers all the bases instead of my current efforts. I think shocking the system might have more benefit than just grinding away every day

I really like yoga, great workout, but I can't stand the videos with the 'moonbat' trainers and their idiotic spirituality aspect they're smoking on. "C'mon people VISUALIZE the toxins flowing away from your ORGANS" :S shut up and feed the workout to me correctly (I do like the p90 yoga, it's type A without the moonbat)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I hate running and running hates me.

While I would not go as far as to say "hate", I royally dislike it, too. If I had a lap-sized swimming in pool in my backyard, I would never run again. I love to swim. I miss swimming. I will not swim in the ocean as exercise because I am not a fan of sharks. I do not like the idea of those workout pools that keep you in place as you swim; I like to go somewhere when I am putting in that much effort.

I never ran a day in my life before I met Bill; his whole family runs and participate in those races where they actually pay to run great distances. :S I pay not to run and would never run farther than five miles unless I were being chased by a lion and, even then I might just prefer he catch up to me and put me out of my misery.

I have learned to accept running in my life, though Bill tries to stay a little ways away from me as I tend to get bitchy about things like wind, temperature, the insane newspaper-delivery lady (we run at 5 a.m.) who seems to be on my ass no matter what path we take, and assholes who water the sidewalk instead of their lawns. I also bitch to myself to keep running, saying things like "run faster, lazy bitch". Strange I know, but I do not respond as well to positive reinforcement. I am not happy until my run is over, but afterward I feel pretty good and am glad I got up to do it.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.