BlindBrick

Where does one look to find used tandem canopies?

That is a tough one. Because Tandem gear is jumped so much, most equipment is used until it is unairworthy.

Look for a dropzone going out of business or basically upgrading their gear.

Maybe call some of the major Tandem gear manufacturers to find out who is buying a new fleet. Then call that DZ to see if they are selling their old stuff.

You also might want to check Bill Dause at the Parachute Center in Lodi. ParachuteCenter.com

Is this for a main or reserve for yourself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Is this for a main or reserve for yourself?

Backup canopy in case I can't find a BASE company who can make me something big in time for bridge day.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Ummmm, I hope you're kidding. Most tandem mains that I've jumped are pretty "used" and they all tend to have really long openings. It's not the time to find out how a tandem main will open at sub-terminal when you've got 800ft until impact.

just my .02

Tandem reserves open plenty fast enough!
I should know as I have 14 rides on Strong 425 reserves. Fortunately only one opening was at tandem terminal.
Ouch!
Try to imagine seeing stars at high noon!

I also jumped High-Lifter 370, PD 360, Strong 425, Strong 520 and Parachutes de France Galaxy 400, back when they were fashionable as mains. They all fly like extra-large Raven reserves.

Speaking of fast openings, I still have a Strong 520 (with only 300 jumps and fresh lines) in my loft. The first bidder gets it.

There are MT-1XX's and MC-4 military freefall rigs available on e-bay. I recently bought - cheaply - an MC-4 that 18 jumps on the main - everything was like new and you get 2 identical canopies.

I am not certain these would be advisable for Bridge Day, though. That's a lot of fabric to haul out at low airspeed.

I'm not a basejumper, just a Tandemmaster.
I would like to try a basejump, but never with a tandemcanopy. They are designed to open relaxed with 200kg of weight. Even reserves open more slowly than sport reserves.

If you really consider using a tandemcanopy as a base canopy I would suggest you try the canopy first jumping it without passenger. Make a C&P and you will know why it is not really smart (Please make this C&P from 6000ft minimum)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

I would like to try a basejump, but never with a tandemcanopy. They are designed to open relaxed with 200kg of weight. Even reserves open more slowly than sport reserves.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You have obviously never jumped a PD 360, High Lifter 370, Strong 425 or Galaxy 400 as a main!
They like to open FIRMLY on good days and slam you the rest of the time.
Rolling the bejesus out of them helps a bit, but only the best of packers can make them open soft at drogue terminal.
I have only opened one Strong 425 reserve at terminal and saw stars at high noon!
I suspect that the primary reason tandem reserves feel like they open slower is that most tandem reserve deployments occur after cutaways, and those long lines take seem to take forever to stretch out.
I have 14 reserve rides on Strong 425 reserves and have landed far more damaged 425 and m520 mains than I care to remember.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You have obviously never jumped a PD 360, High Lifter 370, Strong 425 or Galaxy 400 as a main!
They like to open FIRMLY on good days and slam you the rest of the time.
Rolling the bejesus out of them helps a bit, but only the best of packers can make them open soft at drogue terminal.
I have only opened one Strong 425 reserve at terminal and saw stars at high noon!
I suspect that the primary reason tandem reserves feel like they open slower is that most tandem reserve deployments occur after cutaways, and those long lines take seem to take forever to stretch out.
I have 14 reserve rides on Strong 425 reserves and have landed far more damaged 425 and m520 mains than I care to remember.

PD360 and Galaxy only as a reserve. PD360 openings were rather slow (after cutaway), but worst was the deep brakesetting Leaving you rocking till you pull the brakes.
Galaxy opening was FAST after a hardpull on the droque itself (ATOM rig).
NOTE: Both with a passenger, so I can imagine how a basejump opening will be without passenger.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig