TomAiello

Forestry by the Red Bull Air Force

Tim, (if you're still with me)

Truth be told, I was somewhat baiting in hopes to hear a more in depth Nick DiGiovanni-ism and that was a good one. Thank you.

Yer a tool...as in a great tool for getting Nick to expound. I think you should do it more often.

(I really did believe you guys planned that other bit, although I have been assured that I was wrong. Nonetheless, the interaction between the two of you when you poke him a bit is a great gift. Keep up the good work.)

On the subject of this thread, I suggest that the only path of redemption for the Red Bull boys is to get right back up to that exit and start planting (or a reasonable facsimile of same--if they want to pay someone to plant on their behalf, it's not quite as good an atoning act, but it'll do). The SBA should not bear the cost of fixing this, and neither should individual donors. The burden is on Red Bull to make good.

(Note to Tom: Who is collecting donations? I doubt that Red Bull will do what they should, and someone has to take up the slack.)
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Note to Tom: Who is collecting donations? I doubt that Red Bull will do what they should, and someone has to take up the slack.

I believe the SBA (Swiss BASE Association) was going to take up a collection. I haven't checked in the last 24 hours or so, though, so I'm not for sure on that. I'd PM Mikki, although I think he's on BASEjumper.com more than he's on here.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

You know what your right! Sue the shit out of those bastards, make them pay for chopping down some trees! Down with the the RBAF!.....:S

Cmon now. "its not that serious"

-Evo

Please give me your address. I want to do some landscaping. :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

He said that he wished people would look at their own countries, the deforestation going on and their own problems at home and let the Swiss take care of Switzerland.

Given that one of the people concerned (enough to start a Facebook group about the issue) was a Swiss jumper, who lives in Switzerland, that makes very little sense.

yes, and given that this guy pretty much IS the SBA, and had no idea, and the mountain-guide that did it claims to be part of the Swiss BASE Association.. is NOT! michi will go there next weekend to re-plant some trees.

i asked miles about it and he said that all of RBAF was against the cutting of those trees. apparently, the mountain-guide was pretty much at fault.

a good friend of mine works for redbull, he got an enraged call from me straight away, he carried it on to his boss, so we'll just let it sink in and see what happens..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Is it too late to hope they(the person that fucked up some perfectly good trees and beautiful place) have an awful accident involving a chainsaw and what used to be their penis?

Assholes.

Hey next time the military wants a LZ just for practice, lets just use a daisy cutter or a MOAB.

Geez.

You know what?, my knees are really bad and I want to go do some hiking up trails but they are way too steep.

I think I will just blast the stone away and put in an escalator.

Is it too late to hope they(the person that fucked up some perfectly good trees and beautiful place) have an awful accident involving a chainsaw and what used to be their penis?

Assholes.

Hey next time the military wants a LZ just for practice, lets just use a daisy cutter or a MOAB.

Geez.

You know what?, my knees are really bad and I want to go do some hiking up trails but they are way too steep.

I think I will just blast the stone away and put in an escalator.

Hi W

You don't have to personnaly go to extreme measures and screw every thing up to get to the top.

From what I've read you can hire a local "somebody" that will help you get to the top so you be all you think you need to be.
One Jump Wonder

I was in Lauterbrunnen when the news of the cut trees came in, and the Red Bull guys were just as disappointed as anyone.

A lot of the people on this thread love to jump to conclusions... and are reacting as if the jumpers of the RBAF were personally up there with chainsaws.

I didn't like hearing about the trees either, but I didn't start wildly making statements about the RBAF or Red Bull. At this point, the trees are cut, and they were cut by locals who help maintain a lot of the BASE sites here. If you don't like it, at least complain about the right folks... yes, the ones who said, "I've been wanting to remove those particular trees for years". Not that it will do much good, because the trees are cut... just like the trees that were cut to build the hundreds of miles of ski lifts, tramways, and rack railroads in this part of the Bernese Alps of Switzerland. I'm not saying this is right, but seriously, it's none of my damn business what the Swiss want to do with their trees.

And for those who think the RBAF guys, after years of working to be a part of this movie, should just quit the movie over massive deforestation (sic), you apparently haven't held a job for more than a month or understand what a steady paycheck means for people trying to raise families.

"Yes, honey, it would be great if our family could pay our bills, but man, I sure showed those guys for cutting down those trees."

Live in reality, folks. This apparently involves jumping out of some airplanes that burn 80 gallons of Jet A per hour and expel enough poisonous gas to fill a blimp hangar with every load, and then coming home to make wild accusations and bitch about stuff you don't know about on DZ.com.

And to the person who started this thread on an international newsgroup, you should probably go work for Fox news with your passion for shit-stirring and half-truths about the relationship between Red Bull, the jumpers of the RBAF, and this situation. Hope you're proud. The trees are still cut, but don't you look cool! Come find me in the Horner this week and I'll buy you a beer. :-)

-Eric

the trees are cut, and they were cut by locals who help maintain a lot of the BASE sites here.

thats the straight out lie i've figured after talking to miles, michi (mikki_zh, pretty much mr. SBA) and a mate that shall remainn nameless, as he's a jumper too (both in skydiving and in BASEjumping), and its what gets ME upset..

some guy called martin, thinking he can do what he wants with just a year of BASE.. nah man, even RB thinks thats fucked up..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

"Yes, honey, it would be great if our family could pay our bills, but man, I sure showed those guys for cutting down those trees."

Being a professional jumper is not an excuse for poor conduct.

Being a professional means that you have a duty to rise to a higher standard than other jumpers, because you are holding yourself up as a both a role model for newer jumpers, and as a spokesman for the sport to the outside world.

Those who think of themselves as professional jumpers have a responsibility to provide a better example, to be more thoughtful, to behave more responsibly, and to exercise better judgement than others.

"I need to make money" is a lame excuse for poor behavior.

Live in reality, folks. This apparently involves jumping out of some airplanes that burn 80 gallons of Jet A...

This is not about environmentalism. It's about BASE ethics. I'm not concerned about saving the planet--just the exit points.

And to the person who started this thread...

I'm PMing you my phone number. If you're going to be at Bridge Day, I'd love to have a beer and chat with you. If not, maybe we can talk on the phone.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

So I was wondrin...you say the trees are cut and case over? Other than planting new trees, if the old debris from the cut ones are still there, can we use some wood glue and glue the old ones back up?

Sorry...one of those mornings.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

thats the straight out lie i've figured

Well, there you have it. You figured. Case closed.

You've got your names right but your facts wrong. Leave the figuring to the folks who know what's up, and keep your second-hand information to yourself, mr virgin burner. heh, nice username, BTW. :-)

-Eric

Being a professional jumper is not an excuse for poor conduct.

Apparently my writing skills aren't that great. Let me state it again, the professional jumpers didn't cut the trees, and the trees were not cut based on their conduct.

If someone who freelances for a company that is working with the company you've worked for for 5+ years does something you believe to be wrong, do you quit your job in protest? Or do you just raise a verbal protest and then get on with your job? Think about it!

This is not about environmentalism. It's about BASE ethics.

I, for one, wish it was about environmentalism. BASE ethics, if there are such things, get redefined depending on who's talking about them, and in my experience they get restructured to please the individual's needs.

I will be missing Bridge Day this year but I will respond to your PM.

-Eric

BASE ethics, if there are such things, get redefined depending on who's talking about them, and in my experience they get restructured to please the individual's needs.

Meh, they seem pretty simple to me.

Contact locals, dont burn other peoples shit and treat sites with respect.

:)

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

i got good intelligence, dont know who the fuck you are tough..

if you're in my neck of the woods, as you like yourself made out to be, hit me up for a beer or two; if not, you're just one of the wanna-be's..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda