TomAiello

Forestry by the Red Bull Air Force

Morning Tom ... :)
What a bunch of complete morons eh?

They never learn - but i'm guessing that they probably don't care so long as they got some good footage :S:S

I know some others will think that this is a complete over reaction but this area is very sensitive and precious to those who use it.

In skydiving terms its similar to someone coming down to your local DZ with a camera crew and potentially causing so much damage that your local DZ got shut down ...

W*nkers ... >:(

It's along the same lines as the thread "Visiting Jumpers that trash your DZ". You say it's not that important or breaking any laws. Well shit, when you leave your trash at someone else's DZ, that's not against the law either. It's about respect, and leaving things the way you found them. That exit point will never EVER be the same, and it was one of the more famous ones out there. So many videos are out there with people coming off of this point, and every single time, w/o thinking twice, most people can tell exactly what spot this is. This was just rude and they had 100% no regard for the other thousands of people who travel from AROUND THE WORLD to jump this spot. Fuck Redbull!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

maybe all jumping dogowners should gather and make our dogs SHIT EVERY FUCKING DAY IN FRONT OF THEIR HOUSES, maybe they would re-think their choices..

one of my buddies works for RB, he got an angry call from me right after i've seen this!

this is my fucking backyard, and altough i dont BASE, this just shows the disrespect of some fucking arse holes, thinking the world belongs to them; this proves everyone right that thinks we should shut this down and make it illegal; you know what, RBAF-wankers!? I FUCKING LIVE HERE!!! >:(>:(>:(

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

And it's not just the base. When I traveled to Florida for a week, I hit Deland (loved it), Zhills (Loved it), and then Sebastian. Redbull was there filming. I've got enough jumps to hold my own w/ anyone out there (not super great but not left behind on any jump turning vertical or horizontal points) and got shit on royally. B/c Redbull was there, I got a lot of scoffs and arrogant asshat comments...b/c this place was too hot to touch b/c they were there!!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Just a quick question....

When you were at Sebastian, was it the RB team or the Sebastian staff that "shitted" on ya??? I didn't quite get who it was, I'm just a stupid Swede you know ;)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Please don't take it as bashing sebastian...but both. I tried to walk around and introduce myself and see who might wanna make a jump...and just got a real snobbish environment from the whole thing. I'm gonna blame it on RBAF...b/c I intend on going back to Sebastian in the busy season. I never write a DZ off from a first time experience unless it is EXTREMELY shitty. Slow season and Famous assholes were there, so there's my excuse for them.:P

Redbull was there filming... I tried to walk around and introduce myself and see who might wanna make a jump...and just got a real snobbish environment from the whole thing.

OK, the guys are working and filming, you try to sneak in the movie and get ignored/ditched/asked to move on, and then you formalize yourself ? :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Not at all. Filming wasn't occuring at the exact time I was there, aka done for the day. People were just standing around. I could care less if I was in the movie. Didn't mean to Hijack the thread. Not about Sebastian. I'm pissed about RBAF. This just brought up my experience w/ them.

-Evo

You haven't posted in this thread lately so it's possible you've come to your senses, but just in case:

Do you BASE? Your profile says nothing about it. Either way, you might want to compare your BASE credentials against those of the guy you're trying to argue with before you continue.

I've never met Tom, but I know wisdom when I hear it on DZ.com.

Elvisio "only two S's but enough to be feeling [:/] for my BASE buddies" Rodriguez

edit because I'm dumb.

Did they break any laws?

BASE jumping has it's own code of ethics, which are largely independent of laws. We do many things that are illegal, but perfectly ethical (within our context), like trespassing onto buildings to jump them. On the other hand, there are many (perfectly legal) behaviors that are unethical from a BASE perspective (calling the police to arrest another jumper during an illegal jump, for example).

There is something about your post that really bothers me. I must admit I find it difficult to pinpoint but I think it is the rationalising away illegal activities.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I don't take it like you're bashing Sebastian...

I've only herad good things from there and it's on my "visit list" when I eventually drag my ass over to the other side of the big pond.. :)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

By all means. Please visit. I will be going back to re-asses my opinion. The facilities themselves were great...cept the bunkhouse, hahaha. That should be of no concern, it's a DZ bunkhouse...I don't expect much.:P

There is something about your post that really bothers me. I must admit I find it difficult to pinpoint but I think it is the rationalising away illegal activities.

For me, there is a huge difference between illegal activity and unethical activity.

There are many illegal activities that I, personally, do not find unethical (for example, making illegal BASE jumps where nothing is damaged). Conversely, there are many perfectly legal activities that I find unethical (a dropzone mocking up spoof web sites to divert tandem passengers to themselves, bypassing other DZ's who are nearer to the actual customer, for example).

I'm not trying to rationalize anything. I accept that many things I have done are illegal. I accept that there will be legal consequences for those actions, should I be caught at them. I do not believe that those actions are unethical.

I do not believe that the law is the ultimate source of ethics, or even that it is a source of ethics at all. Some laws may have their own source in our common ethical code (although many may not). Ethics have their source in our shared human values (or, in the case of BASE ethics, in the shared value system of BASE jumpers).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If they represent Red Bull, then complain to the company. The last thing they want is bad publicity.

While I believe that is possibly true, and have contacted the company, I really think that won't matter.

In the past, I've talked to a Red Bull marketing guy about this kind of thing, and he was very clear that Red Bull actually pays them to create controversy like this. In his words "any publicity is good publicity."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

For instance, you look out your back yard every single day and see a nice power tower with easy access to the top. The only indication it's illegal is the no trespassing sign. Possibly a fence but that's easy to bypass. Walk in, walk up the stairs enjoy the view, make out with your girl ... whatever it is you want to do. No vandalism, no harm, just stealing a view.

The view up top is fantastic. When and your girl are finished enjoying the sunset, just walk back down and leave.

You may feel that the letter of the law should be upheld and the trespassers arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I do not not. Ethically I find that ok. The moment you break things, it's not ok.

It's just as illegal to walk up and enjoy the view and walk back down as it is walk up and jump off.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto