Mostly_Harmless

Going from Student Gear to my own gear

I recently just finished up AFF and have purchased some used gear in great shape. I brought a Vector 3 container, 190 Spectre (about 300 jumps), 2003 PD reserve, and a brand new Vigil. My instructor is working me down slowly to the smaller wing load. I am currently jumping a Navigator 200, so I am getting pretty close to jumping with my own gear(finally). My only concern is that the Nav is a 9 cell, while the Spectre is a 7 cell. Are there any big changes I should be expecting from the 7 cell over the 9 cell? Any concerns I should be aware of? I really enjoy flying the Nav. 200 and just want to be sure that the Spectre will be just as fun.

I really enjoy flying the Nav. 200 and just want to be sure that the Spectre will be just as fun.

It will be funner. (Yes, I made up that word)

It will be quite a change (in a good way) going from student gear, to sport gear. Your instruct-er-ators will give you all the info you need. Just remember to be careful. B|

Have fun with your Spectre :)

I second the "more funner" comment.

I've almost exactly in the same place as you - I went from a Navigator to a (slightly) smaller Spectre for a few jumps, and to my uneducated eye, it was a lot more fun. (I'm still going to buy a Pilot though ;))

The angle of descent was noticeably steeper (this is generally a 7-cell characteristic, they tell me) and the flare was a bit more abrupt (again, seven cells) which took a couple of tries to work out how to land gracefully. But flying it was night and day. As sport canopies go the Spectre has a reputation for being pretty gentle, but after the Nav it felt positively zippy.

Woohoo! Nice pickup.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Funner is unanimous!

The Spectre has tapered ends. It will glide in and out of turns better.... more responsive. The flare is powerful! You'll love it.

Take some time to discuss the flight charactoristics with an instructor before going up.

Open with enough altitude to play around for a bit. Feel the difference in the turns. Also practice brake turns. Find the flare point.

Most of all. Have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I love that Nav. 200, its very forgiving! Soon I'm going to be using a Hornet 190. I jumped a Sabre 2, that was a 190. The sport rig is definately different. When I turned with the wind I really felt the difference! Also, be aware (cause I freaked for a second when I went to pull) the pilot will probebly be CONSIDERABLY tighter and will take more effort to get out. I went to pull on the Sabre, and first attempt it felt stuck! I thought "OH F*CK!" took a breath and tried again and it came out. Sport rigs that are 'freefly safe' have good tight spandex, and the pilot is a little harder to extract, compared to that Nav.

Muff Brother 3723

Thanks Gravitygirl! I read good things about that canopy but wanted to make sure I knew what was coming in terms with the 7 cell. Firsted learned on a 240 and now at a 200, which is a lot more fun to fly!

Huka the Nav is a lot of fun, going from the Nav 240 to the 200 was a big difference, it turned much better. Did you find your own gear yet? Those rentals are killing my funds specially since I already have my own rig!

Sunday is supposed to be nice, I can't wait, I can only afford to one more jump before I go to Fla. I'm going to Zhills and I got budget for about 10 jumps next weekend! Who knows maybe when I come back I'll have my B lisence:P

Muff Brother 3723

You're gonna have a blast with the spectre, but I would be concerned with the wing loading on your reserve though, that 30 squ. feet can make a big difference. When you're already in a world of shit the last thing you should be worried about is trying to land a reserve thats flying alot faster than your main. Have your instructors talked to you about this? If not you should bring it up.

Who is your instructor? I cant believe that he cleared you to jump a rig with a 1.2 on the reserve. What you have to consider is that when things go to shit your not going to have a whole lot of options. your gonna be low, disoriented, and in deep shit if you have to land that reserve in a small area or downwind.All I'm saying is that when your in trouble and have to go to reserve you're probably not gonna have ideal landing conditions. I would talk to Ray and get his input.I'm still a newbe with 115 jumps but I would not jump it.

Dude, 1.2 on a reserve is not like 1.2 on a zp main. Reserves are even less responsive than the average student canopy like a Navigator. Loading your first reserve like that is pretty common these days. My first reserve was loaded at just under 1.2 as well.

Now if it was something like a PD106R at 1.2 it would be a bigger deal, but if it's a PD160R or thereabouts at 1.2 it is less of an issue in my mind.

My $0.02
________________________________________________________________________________
when in doubt... hook it!

Maybe I'm wrong, but based on issues that have come up at my dz, for someone just off student status this seems a little too agressive for this guys LAST CHANCE.

Like I said, I'm still very new to this sport. When I have to go for silver I wouldn't want to find out then that my reserve was too small fo my experience level. Just mho.