Superman32

Buying a suit?

When buying a men's suit, are the alteration included in the purchase price?

I just came back from Men's Warehouse where they are having a promotion --buy 1 get a second for $100. -- so I decided to get 2. The end price ended up being a higher than expected, but I figured it was the tax. Well, I just looked at the receipt and they are charging me $150 bucks for alterations - Not major things but waist, length,etc.

I haven't bought a suite in a while, but I thought it was part of purchase price.

I kinda want to go back and cancel the order, because I was definately not impressed by the tailor, he kinda just eye balled the adjustments, not really getting any measurements. My other thought was to allow them to fix the jacket and take the pants to a dry cleaner and have them to the sizing.

What do you guys think.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

What's the TOTAL price for both plus alterations...what kind of suits are they....designer etc?

And...do you really LIKE 'em? ;)

The Total price for both is $910. I are both "designer" but I don't really think anybody famous - "Jack Victor" and "Michael Kors".

I'm really not a suit person, I'm not even a shirt and tie person, but as far as suits go I think they are nice. Don't know if nearly $1k nice, for clothing that will mostly sit in a closet, but they are nice.

I'm getting these suits for job interviews, and the second essentially to take advantage of the deal and so I could have a spare.

I have 1 other suit, but its a 3 button and I think its looking kinda dated.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Unless you're a very odd size, I think that's an awful lot for alterations. Call a major department store nearby like Dillard's or Macy's and ask what their prices for alterations are.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Seems very high. I have bought suits from MW at least 2 or 3 times and the alterations were never more than $20 or $30 per suit. If I remember correctly they charged "per alteration" so if the waist needed to be taken in and the pants hemmed it would be two separate charges of $10 to $15 each. On one occasion because of a sale I got them free. The alterations (at least at this store) are good for life so additional alterations are free if you ever need them. But....$150 does seem awfully high.

I'm really not a suit person, I'm not even a shirt and tie person,

Neither am I;
That's why I haven't bought one since I graduated from college.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Unless you're a very odd size, I think that's an awful lot for alterations. Call a major department store nearby like Dillard's or Macy's and ask what their prices for alterations are.

Yup...and shop their big sales.

I got 2 very nice 'Boss' suits at the last 'red apple' sale for about 600.00.
Buy one at 20% off, get the 2nd at 1/2 price or something like that...got 'em to throw in a couple ties as well.

And alterations were part of it.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Neither am I;

I got a couple wet suits, a 3mm O'neill and a 5mm Henderson. No alterations neededB|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Neither am I;

I got a couple wet suits, a 3mm O'neill and a 5mm Henderson. No alterations neededB|

Oh, I forgot about that!:$
I do have a custom-ordered wet suit.
I bought that a couple years out of college, after every suit I tried off the shelf seemed to be tailored for someone with a pot belly and spindly arms.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You can have a suit custom made for that kind of money. All of mine are custom made now. My shoulders and chest are far larger than my waist, so nothing fits off the rack. You can't even modify the rack items to fit. Michael Koors is actually a well known designer, but if you have to have them altered, I'm not sure it really matters.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

This thread just reminds me of the Friends episode.... come on, I'm sure someone else was wondering if he was paying extra for the "cupping"

"That's how they do pants!":D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHWzzqC83s

I was definately not impressed by the tailor, he kinda just eye balled the adjustments, not really getting any measurements

I won't imply he was a good tailor without meeting him - just the fact that he works at the Men's Wearhouse, he probably isn't.

But a good tailor can do measurements by just looking. I've had a custom fit by a guy that looked at me, and to 1/8th of an inch guessed every size on me, with his apprentice following it up with a tape measure just to make sure. He was really old, and had been doing it his entire life, trained by his father and grandfather.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I was definately not impressed by the tailor, he kinda just eye balled the adjustments, not really getting any measurements

I won't imply he was a good tailor without meeting him - just the fact that he works at the Men's Wearhouse, he probably isn't.

But a good tailor can do measurements by just looking. I've had a custom fit by a guy that looked at me, and to 1/8th of an inch guessed every size on me, with his apprentice following it up with a tape measure just to make sure. He was really old, and had been doing it his entire life, trained by his father and grandfather.

And to add to that... You dont really need measurements for adjustments. He should be marking the suit for where to move seams/buttons/cuffs etc. But then again, I never got myself one of them fancy $450 hand made suit.... ;)
Remster

But then again, I never got myself one of them fancy $450 hand made suit.... ;)

Still wearing the Leisure Suits, eh?:D