tuffyjensen

Possible scam need help

Does anyone know this person.

Jeremy Zienota, 12 North Holmes Road, Canterbury, CT1 1QU, United Kingdom. My home dropzone is Skydive Canterbury (+44) 020-8123-1032 and ask about Jeremy Z or Jer-Z. Most of my friends call me Jer-Z like the singer Jay-Z :).

Not accusing yet, but trying to do some research. Trying to buy some gear from him and need to no if this person is legit. Registered here 3 years ago, but no info of any kind filled out.

After sending part of the money no email replies since Sunday. Has anyone used Western Union before and is there protection like paypal.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy

In general, Western Union = scam.

Western Union doesn't offer any protection like paypal does. Anytime a seller asks you to send payment via Western Union, alarms should be going off in your head saying "Scam!!!!"

Never send payment via Western Union. You have no protection at all if you get scammed... WHICH IS WHY SCAMMERS ASK YOU TO USE IT!

EDIT: monkycndo beat me to it.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Western Union doesn't offer any protection like paypal pretends it does.

FIFY

I received an unusable piece of network gear from a seller.
About the same I received it, his account disappeared.
When I contacted PayPal, all they wanted to know was if he shipped me something, ANYTHING.
I made the mistake of saying "Yes", so they informed me there was nothing they could/would do about it.
PayPal's "protection" is a joke.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Thanks for the help, as always you are so useful on this website. And you wonder why people don't want to post anything on here.

I fell into a little to much sense of trust after purchasing many things, even across the pond, and having nothing but good experiences. I did do some research prior to just not enough. So yes I F%$@# up, thanks genius.

To the ones with constructive help I really appreciate it.

I have filed a fraud report with WU, until the police call them the only thing they can tell me is that it was picked up in London. In the US you must show an ID, anyone know about London, and yes I know it very likely would be a fake ID.
Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy

Thanks for the help, as always you are so useful on this website. And you wonder why people don't want to post anything on here.

I fell into a little to much sense of trust after purchasing many things, even across the pond, and having nothing but good experiences. I did do some research prior to just not enough. So yes I F%$@# up, thanks genius.

I have filed a fraud report with WU, until the police call them the only thing they can tell me is that it was picked up in London. In the US you must show an ID, anyone know about London, and yes I know it very likely would be a fake ID.

If you are angry at anyone it should be yourself for making a bad judgement call by sending money via western union. You shouldnt be pissed that CspenceFLY for pointed out the obvious. Frankly, I like his posts and agree with his post to you about this. It sucks that this happened but I bet you wont make the same mistake again.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

the phone number is somewhere in London

Unfortunately it's not even that. There are no 02081 London STD codes - they start at 02082 - but we probably could have guessed that by now :(

Googling 'Zienota' doesn't bring back any direct hits, so presumably he's using a fake name and a fake ID to go along with it.

I think the best the OP can hope for is that there'll be CCTV footage from the WU branch where the money was collected - but that's assuming the police are sufficiently interested, which I doubt.

Western Union doesn't offer any protection like paypal pretends it does.

FIFY

I received an unusable piece of network gear from a seller.
About the same I received it, his account disappeared.
When I contacted PayPal, all they wanted to know was if he shipped me something, ANYTHING.
I made the mistake of saying "Yes", so they informed me there was nothing they could/would do about it.
PayPal's "protection" is a joke.

Actually, you still have two methods of recourse in this situation.

First, when you file a paypal dispute, be sure to file it as "Item Significantly Not as Described" (ISNAD) rather than as an "item not received." The difference between the two is that if you file "item not received," and you acknowledge receipt of anything you will lose the claim.

However, if you filed ISNAD, when paypal processes the claim, they will tell you to return the item to the seller and provide paypal with the tracking number (you must use tracking). Once the tracking number shows that the item was returned to the seller, they will process the refund.

The second method of more protection is more important and more substantial than the first. When you send payment via paypal, ALWAYS PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD. Do not send funds from your checking account. This is important because even if you file a paypal dispute and lose, you can still file a credit card chargeback, which is much easier to win than a paypal dispute.

Like anything else, you need to be proactive and take steps to protect yourself from scams. Use paypal, and pay only with your credit card.

Oh, and never send payment as a gift. Period. Otherwise, you have no recourse with either paypal or your credit card company.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hi B

Thanks for the info.:)
Can you please explain your last statement

"Oh, and never send payment as a gift. Period. Otherwise, you have no recourse with either paypal or your credit card company."

What kind of line would the scam artist use to encourage the consumer to make payment as a "Gift".

One Jump Wonder

With western union in london you have to provide either 100% points of I.D. such as a passport, or a drivers license and medicare card or whatever it was called over there.
Or you can have the person sending the money send you the how many digit code it is as well as a secret question and secret answer.. then the I.D. can be basic.

In Europe it is very simple for places to become western union agents, this is why alot of scams are done via western union, because their mates who have a grocery store or some small business can become an agent. So they may just turn the cameras off at the time.

The other thing about western union is you can sign up online to send money and you can sign up online to receive money, so of course if they signed up online then the identity is even easier to BS.

I believe there must be about 100 western union fraud cases reported every single day throughout the world, hell, it may even be thousands per day. So do not count on getting your money back, maybe you will get it back in thirty years and it is a suprise.

IN the meantime, Send me a PM and let me know how much you got ripped off and how much more you had to send, maybe i can make your unfortunate situation a little bit better for you by helping you into some gear at my cost prices as a dealer or maybe some of my contacts have some second hand gear amongst them that we can help you put an affordable rig together.

It sucks getting ripped off mate, I have been majorly ripped off by a conamn in the states this year and it hurts.
While saying that though, I have to say the first and easiest way to know someone is trying to scam you is if they TELL you how they want you to send the money.
First thing you should have done and anyone else reading this is look into the costs involved of sending them this money, because the first thing you would have noticed is that sending money via western union is one of the MOST expensive ways you can send money internationally. If they dictate how they want to receive the money this should ring alarm bells.

What I have noticed with Americans is that they are very reluctant to give someone their bank account numbers. I am guessing that they are relctant to do this because it just sounds like a stupid thing to do, however when you are sending money or receiving money, doing it from bank account to bank account is the cheapest and the SAFEST way you could possibly do it.

With terrorist laws throughout the world you must provide alot of details to wire money to someones bank over the counter, such as their bank account numbers, their home address and their full name and phone number. For them to withdraw the money they must have all the relevant identification. Also bank will act upon rip offs very quickly.

Nobody can access your bank account by you giving them your account details. Especially not from overseas. All transactions should be this way

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Everything about that message sounds dodge.. Reckon he's not even in the UK, since few of us would put dashes in a phone number. 0208 numbers are for central London landlines.. Numbers with 123 in it tend to be skype numbers, so this seems fairly bogus. A quick google search shows you that "Skydive Canterbury" is in New Zealand.. And the post-code (which over here would tell you the precise address where it points to) is for Canterbury Christ Church University.

Sorry mate, but a quick google search is all it took to find out all of this.. Shame you fell for it, but you really ought to be more careful who you send money to..

Edit to say: I would think your culprit is most likely in North America (because of the terrible piecing together of info and the dashes in the phone number).
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

It is to avoid the Paypals 2.9% brokerage fee. When buying a rig ( scam) the guy asked me to do this. That threw up a huge red flag. So I called paypal, and asked them what kind of protection do I have if i send it as a gift.. None.. So i told the guy no way!

Long story short, dont do it. Unless, you already have the rig, and want to help the person out.:)

Thats what I did. And now I have the most beautiful rig! She is soooo purty.. :)

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

It is to avoid the Paypals 2.9% brokerage fee. When buying a rig ( scam) the guy asked me to do this. That threw up a huge red flag. So I called paypal, and asked them what kind of protection do I have if i send it as a gift.. None.. So i told the guy no way!

Long story short, dont do it. Unless, you already have the rig, and want to help the person out.:)

Thats what I did. And now I have the most beautiful rig! She is soooo purty.. :)

Hi

Now I get it

Paypal charges the seller a 2.9% processing fee. The advantage of using paypal is the seller gets his money and the buyer has paypal to complain to if there's a problem with the dealB|

Paypal waives the 2.9% fee for cash gifts aka donations. Kind of like the paypal acct set up for Packin Jarrett

One Jump Wonder

The second method of more protection is more important and more substantial than the first. When you send payment via paypal, ALWAYS PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD. Do not send funds from your checking account. This is important because even if you file a paypal dispute and lose, you can still file a credit card chargeback, which is much easier to win than a paypal dispute.

And before you do so, remove your bank account from your Paypal account (in fact I suggest even do not add it). Filing a chargeback is against Paypal terms of service, and I read that some users have been charged the chargeback amount from their bank account.

Oh, and never send payment as a gift. Period. Otherwise, you have no recourse with either paypal or your credit card company.

And they also might treat it as cash advance :)
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *