iluvtofly

Stupid Cats

Today was a fun day at work. Went into one exam room with a Dr. to give a couple of cats their yearly boosters. When I tried to take the first one out of the room to simply weigh him he went spastic the moment the door closed and he lost sight of his owners. He immediately twisted his body out of my grip, jumped up my should and scratched the Dr.'s face along with my face and neck. He then continued to twist down and latch all of his teeth around my elbow. I ran back into the treatment area and just dropped the cat.

Almost immediately my elbow began to swell and stiffen up. I got all the workman's comp paperwork and drove myself to an urgent care type facility. They proceeded to pump me with 2 bags of different antibiotics via IV, along with some anti-inflammatory stuff. They also gave me some really great pain meds to take home.

I feel like a bit of a wimp though because they put me on restricted duty for the next 3 days (I'm not allowed to lift over 5 pounds with my right arm) and I have to go back to the clinic everyday for the next 4 days for them to check me out.

On the bright side, I now have some great pain meds. On the down side, I may have to change my Halloween costume to Freddy Krueger. :D:D:D:D

Today was a fun day at work. Went into one exam room with a Dr. to give a couple of cats their yearly boosters. When I tried to take the first one out of the room to simply weigh him he went spastic the moment the door closed and he lost sight of his owners. He immediately twisted his body out of my grip, jumped up my should and scratched the Dr.'s face along with my face and neck. He then continued to twist down and latch all of his teeth around my elbow. I ran back into the treatment area and just dropped the cat.

Almost immediately my elbow began to swell and stiffen up. I got all the workman's comp paperwork and drove myself to an urgent care type facility. They proceeded to pump me with 2 bags of different antibiotics via IV, along with some anti-inflammatory stuff. They also gave me some really great pain meds to take home.

I feel like a bit of a wimp though because they put me on restricted duty for the next 3 days (I'm not allowed to lift over 5 pounds with my right arm) and I have to go back to the clinic everyday for the next 4 days for them to check me out.

On the bright side, I now have some great pain meds. On the down side, I may have to change my Halloween costume to Freddy Krueger. :D:D:D:D

I call BS.

Cats are awesome!

I think you're biased, you dog lover, you.

I bet if the cat were able to tell its side to the story, it would say that you viciously attacked it and provoked it. >:(

Po wittle kitty kat! :)

On a side note, hope you get better soon. ;)
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I used to have cats when I was in college. A lot of cats out there are great and I love them to death. This one was just beyond horrible. After I got back to work today I found out his brother was even worse. The Dr.'s refused to do anything to him without first sedating him after what happened to me and the one Dr.

Unfortunately what happens is even some of the nicest cats and dogs freak out at the vet. Some of it is because they don't know us. Some of it is because they are so overwhelmed by the smells of all the other dogs and cats that go through there. Despite the title of this thread, I NEVER blame the animal when stuff like this happens. They just don't understand that we're trying to help.

I used to have cats when I was in college. A lot of cats out there are great and I love them to death. This one was just beyond horrible. After I got back to work today I found out his brother was even worse. The Dr.'s refused to do anything to him without first sedating him after what happened to me and the one Dr.

Unfortunately what happens is even the some of the nicest cats and dogs freak out at the vet. Some of it is because they don't know us. Some of it is because they are so overwhelmed by the smells of all the other dogs and cats that go through there. Despite the title of this thread, I NEVER blame the animal when stuff like this happens. They just don't understand that we're trying to help.

I love cats, and I have one. Everytime I take her to the vet she freaks out. Last time I took her, she attacked the housecat that lives at the animal clinic. I think she felt threatened, like you said, by the presence of other animals that she is not used to.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Check this out! Funny as hell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6RoEaUQqp8&feature=player_embedded#

whoops: edit to make clicky

:D:D:D I knew exactly where that was going the moment he started to let the cat run between his legs.

My saga continues. Woke up this morning and it was nearly impossible to move my arm at all. After many tears and obscenities screamed at the top of my lungs, I managed to stretch enough to be able to move it some.

I went to work for a whole 2 1/2 hours this morning. Fortunately on Sunday's we don't do much besides take them all outside, clean their pens and feed them. Unfortunately, it was 2 1/2 hours of pure agony. Despite doing only 1/10 of what I normally do on a Sunday morning, it still hurt like hell.

Went back to the Dr. afterward for a followup. He took one look at my arm and noticed instantly that the swelling had gotten worse. I told him about not really being able to move it much without screaming. He changed my antibiotics (because they're obviously not working) and gave me a note saying I can't go to work tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm really not looking forward to calling them in the morning and telling them I'm not coming in. I was already getting shit today for being a baby. Yes it's noticeably swollen, red, and warm to the touch. But in their minds, if my arm isn't actively falling off then I just need to suck it up. [:/]

I think you need to learn how to handle cats or find a new job.

I have always had cats (have 3 right now) and they have all been really sweet, friendly good natured cats who would never attack anyone. But to some extent, all of them (past and present) freak out when I take them to the vet- some worse than others. Any animal that is frightened or in pain is unpredictable, and I think that's especially true with cats. I don't think any of mine would have ever done what you described, but years ago I did have one that almost all of the vet techs were afraid of. I remember having to pick him up late one evening after he'd had his teeth cleaned. They wouldn't even reach into his cage to get him out- I had to. When they saw him curled up in my arms purring, they couldn't believe it was the same animal that had just been snarling and hissing at them only a few minutes earlier.

I think you need to learn how to handle cats or find a new job.

I have always had cats (have 3 right now) and they have all been really sweet, friendly good natured cats who would never attack anyone. But to some extent, all of them (past and present) freak out when I take them to the vet- some worse than others. Any animal that is frightened or in pain is unpredictable, and I think that's especially true with cats. I don't think any of mine would have ever done what you described, but years ago I did have one that almost all of the vet techs were afraid of. I remember having to pick him up late one evening after he'd had his teeth cleaned. They wouldn't even reach into his cage to get him out- I had to. When they saw him curled up in my arms purring, they couldn't believe it was the same animal that had just been snarling and hissing at them only a few minutes earlier.

Well as I stated earlier there is a lot going on that tends to frighten the cats (and dogs for that matter). They can smell all of the other dogs and cats that have been through there. I think this is a large part. My dog, who I've had for 13 years, is the sweetest thing ever. However, after I get home from work she won't come near me until I take a shower.

Also, they don't know us as well as they know you. On that note, when they do come to the vets office they typically get shots if nothing else. So they associate the vet with pain. Most of the time, if an animal acts out at a vets office it's out of pure fear. This is why I never blame the animal if they freak out like that.

And I know how to handle cats. In the 3 months I've worked there, I've probably handled a couple hundred cats without incident. Yes, I've gotten scratched before. But that was usually when the Dr. was doing something unpleasant to them (do you know how a vet takes and animal's temperature or gets a stool sample if you don't bring one in?) Shit happens, I realize that getting scratched and bit is a hazard of my job.

I apologize if I got a little long winded or got of track on what I was trying to say. I think my pain meds just kicked in. But I'm sure you can at least somewhat figure out what it is I'm trying to say.

Keep a close eye on that. I developed Pasturella (sp) from a cat bite and even after 8 straight days of being hooked to an antibiotic IV an hour each day, I wound up having to have surgery to have the infection scraped out. Not fun!
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Thanks. Yeah both the Dr. I saw yesterday, and the one I saw today warned me of what could happen. The one today said that he usually has to send someone to surgery for a cat bit about every 6 weeks. My big concern is that the 2 bags of antibiotics they gave me via IV yesterday didn't have the slightest bit of affect on it. So they switched the ones I'm on while at home.

Keep a close eye on that. I developed Pasturella (sp) from a cat bite and even after 8 straight days of being hooked to an antibiotic IV an hour each day, I wound up having to have surgery to have the infection scraped out. Not fun!

yeah my aunt had to have emergency surgery, after being bit by one of our cats, on her ring finger. she was taking amoxicillin for a few days, but with no relief, my uncle came down for some reason \( i honestly cant rember why) took one look at her hand and rushed her to the ER. she had surgery that night. funniest thing about it all, my aunt is a DOCTOR. she was too worried about leaving all the other cats at the house for the nights that she would have to be in the hospital. i guess i cant really blame her though, we do have over 150. long story short, keep an eye on it especially since its in a joint area. good luck.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.