huka551

How do you tell the difference?

How does a newbie looking to buy a used canopy tell the diffence when there are so many different brands? Triathalon, Hornet, Sabre, Spectre, I know everyone will have an opinion about the one they personally use, but how would someone know about the specific reputation for a particular one (like does it open hard?)

Muff Brother 3723

Do a search on the forums for the brand you're interested in and that will give you a solid history on how people like it(or not).

Then it comes down to how much you want to pay for your canopy. Like everyone loves sabre2's, so the used market on them is pretty pricey.

everyone loves sabre2's, so the used market on them is pretty pricey.

I would have to disagree with that statement. I like the way the sabre2 flew once opened, but the openings I experienced were less than positive. i will not hijack this post however.

I would suggest you demo a variety of canopies, both 7 and 9 cell. Find a canopy that you like the characteristics of, what you like is what is important. The one thing you should do most of all is speak to your instructor.

I would also suggest you read this article www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=43

Good Luck,

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

how would someone know about the specific reputation for a particular one (like does it open hard?)

Any canopy can open hard, even ones with a reputation for soft openings.

Bytch, I agree ANY canopy can open hard, but would it not be fair to say that some certain models are more prone to undesirable openings?

it doesn't have to be the perfect choice. So long as you get a decent price and a safe wing loading, you can do 50+ jumps, sell it for nearly the same cost, and have a better idea for next time.

I'd hate to buy one without never jumping it, prefereably the actual unit I would get. But when I got mine at 40some jumps, I wasn't able to do much more than see that it opened ok, and seemed to fly fine.

but would it not be fair to say that some certain models are more prone to undesirable openings?

No, I don't consider it fair to say that. I know people who put loads of jumps on Sabres without ever being spanked. Same with Triathlons.

Yes, rectangular shaped canopies like the Sabre and the Tri can spank you if you aren't packing according to how the manufacturer recommends, and occasionally even if you are packing how the manufacturer recommends. But so can any other canopy.

but would it not be fair to say that some certain models are more prone to undesirable openings?

No, I don't consider it fair to say that. I know people who put loads of jumps on Sabres without ever being spanked. Same with Triathlons.

Yes, rectangular shaped canopies like the Sabre and the Tri can spank you if you aren't packing according to how the manufacturer recommends, and occasionally even if you are packing how the manufacturer recommends. But so can any other canopy.

Okay since I opened my mouth I will change feet :P

I know everyone will have an opinion about the one they personally use, but how would someone know about the specific reputation for a particular one (like does it open hard?)

There are plenty of good gear reviews right here at dropzone.com. Not just in the threads either. Click into the gear heading at the top of this page. There's sub-headings for main & reserve canopies, rigs, jumpsuits, altimeters, helmets, you name it. You have to kind of pick your way down through the manufacturers' names (you'll want to check out PD, Aerodyne, Icarus, and Precision for starters), and from there into the canopies, where you get to "Read Reviews" - you can write one too if you've got something to say about a piece of gear. You have to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt, as different people will love or hate the same canopy for all kinds of reasons. But it makes for good reading, you'll learn something and get an idea about how people generally feel about one canopy or another.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

No, I don't consider it fair to say that.

Hmmm...So a Sabre 190 wouldn't be more likely to slam me than a Spectre 190. Interesting point of view.:P

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

I've got to disagree with this. I'd say, though, that it's more on a canopy to canopy basis. Certain models have a higher percentage of 'misbehaved' individual canopies. Cobalts and sabre 2's are examples of this. There's more people bitching about getting a 'bad' cobalt or sabre 2 than about getting a 'bad' XF2, or a 'bad' spectre.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

I just went through the same issue...I did HOURS of searching reviews...then I backed up the reviews with HOURS of searching the forums. I found that when I'm ready to buy new gear, I'll demo a Triathlon and a Spectre. One of my main concerns is gentle, on-heading openings (I'm 6'4"/230lbs) and the Spectre sounds like a good choice for me. I've only got 20 jumps, but I was whacked by a Raven IV more than a couple times...no matter how hard I rolled the nose!

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

Those types of canopies that you mentioned are pretty solid canopies for a beginner. To be honest, I would recommend any of them.

Each canopy (even the same make and model) can vary on openings and flying characteristics; much has to do with the pilot. But there are definitely general trends among the brands out there as far as being known for hard openings or soft openings. Of course there are always exceptions...

I would recommend that if you find a particular canopy or set-up that you are interested in, post a question (or do a search) about that specific canopy and you will get many views from people who have jumped or own that canopy.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Ok, then would you think it would be fair to say that "Some canopies are more tolerant of bad packing and therefore less likely to spank you."?

I agree too, but going with a main with great reviews for gentle openings sure as hell couldn't do any harm either!

I bought a Spectre specifically because it's known for soft openings. I've now been spanked by two different ones, one time positively enough to break two lines. :D

I just went through the same issue...I did HOURS of searching reviews...then I backed up the reviews with HOURS of searching the forums. I found that when I'm ready to buy new gear, I'll demo a Triathlon and a Spectre. One of my main concerns is gentle, on-heading openings (I'm 6'4"/230lbs) and the Spectre sounds like a good choice for me. I've only got 20 jumps, but I was whacked by a Raven IV more than a couple times...no matter how hard I rolled the nose!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good choice.
Last year one of our junior jumpers (6' and muscular 230 pounds) demoed Hornet 190, Sabre 190, Triathlon 190, Synergy 210, etc.) and eventually bought a Spectre 210. Now most of his landings are soft, near the bowl.

I would say, determine your:

Canopy size
Price range
Level of performance

Then see what the used gear market has to offer you at the time you are ready to purchase.

You can be flexible on price, but stand firm on the other two. (Size and Performance)

So many times a "really good deal" will come up. But it is a smaller canopy than you wanted. Thas is NOT a really good deal.

At this point seek the help of an advisor. This could be a local jumpmaster, rigger or gear dealer. Feel free to PM me with your "finds", and I can help you determine if it is a good match for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I bought a Spectre specifically because it's known for soft openings. I've now been spanked by two different ones, one time positively enough to break two lines. :D

Geez, anything different about the jump that could've caused that?...or was it like mine that I packed...nice body position---good stable throw-out---then GACKKK!!!:S

Good choice.
Last year one of our junior jumpers (6' and muscular 230 pounds) demoed Hornet 190, Sabre 190, Triathlon 190, Synergy 210, etc.) and eventually bought a Spectre 210. Now most of his landings are soft, near the bowl.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope these posts shed a little light for huka551, also. And I DO realize that ALL canopies are prone to handin' out ass-whoopins every now and again w/out ryhme-nor-reason...but I still stand by my previous post...It's hard to ignore so many good reviews when they are backed up by good remarks in the forums. I guess I'm a percentages kinda-guy when it comes to this...example.......look at reviews for Sabre2 and look at reviews for the Spectre. When you read every post in detail, then take those opinions back to the forums and do some searchin', the outcome is hard to ignore!

I agree ANY canopy can open hard, but would it not be fair to say that some certain models are more prone to undesirable openings?

The Sabre2 neither has nor deserves such a reputation. True, it is not the only canopy in its class, but it is an excellent example of that particular class of canopy.

For Great Deals on Gear

...but I still stand by my previous post...It's hard to ignore so many good reviews when they are backed up by good remarks in the forums. I guess I'm a percentages kinda-guy when it comes to this...example.......look at reviews for Sabre2 and look at reviews for the Spectre. When you read every post in detail, then take those opinions back to the forums and do some searchin', the outcome is hard to ignore!

That kind of consensus can be misleading, though. Internet forums tend to overreport problems, as the effected users come looking for answers or to vent. At the same time, people without issues tend to rate their own purchases very highly, so top selling products tend to have the highest number of positive reviews. Many of us don't have very many jumps on more than a couple canopies, so the reviews show your satisfaction, not that you're sure it's better than that other brand.

Is the Sabre1 a spanker or is it just a reflection of the high market share it enjoyed in its life?

I also read complaints that the triathlon and 7 cells in general are hard openers, but initially I was concerned at how much slower it was opening compared to others I had been renting (spectre). I don't roll the nose on mine.

Not to disrespect the Sabre...I am sure it's a fine main...not that my opinion means shit! Seriously...I've never flown one...or any other for that matter, but I only know what I hear from other jumpers from the reviews and forums...and from those opinions, the Sabre spanks harder than the Spectre...which is great...if your into S&M!!