VanillaSkyGirl

London's Calling...I'm visiting in December

My mother and I are taking a cruise from Austria to Germany during the Christmas holiday. It's a very quick trip, since my mother has little time to spare due to her hectic schedule. I hate the idea of going all the way to Europe without returning to the very first place that I ever visited in Europe. Therefore, I decided to book a mini-long weekend trip n London by myself. It's been just over 20 years, since I've visited London.

I arrive into Heathrow in the daytime on Thursday the 17th of December. My flight to Austria leaves on the afternoon of Monday, December 21st. I booked the airline tickets just now, and I have nothing planned so far. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts about interesting possible places to visit in the few days that I'll be in London by myself.

Also, where should I stay away from, and what restaurants are recommended? I'd also like to know about the weather, so I will know how bundled I will need to be during this period. Lastly, perhaps I could meet with some of you for lunch one afternoon or for a mini DZ.com group dinner? Let me know...thanks!

I'm probably the *worst* person to ask as I don't take advantage of all that London has to offer.. However, I will ask around to see if there's anything cool going on (should be - there's always *something* going on!!).

If you need a place to crash, you're welcome to stay at mine.. It's in a nice area of London and well connected. I only have an air-mattress to offer, but it's an option if you want to save a bit of coinage :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

You are so kind. Thank you, Nataly. I really appreciate any and all of the help that is offered on this trip. It's a bit of a spontaneous addition to my initial holiday trip to Austria/Germany with my mother, so I have nothing in mind already planned in London. Of course, I have plenty of time to decide what to do. Hopefully, I can also meet you, at some point. :)

You are so kind. Thank you, Nataly. I really appreciate any and all of the help that is offered on this trip. It's a bit of a spontaneous addition to my initial holiday trip to Austria/Germany with my mother, so I have nothing in mind already planned in London. Of course, I have plenty of time to decide what to do. Hopefully, I can also meet you, at some point. :)

No probs - just PM me if you want any info :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I used to live in London and enjoyed minute of it.

-Most things have the same numerical price as in the states. If a Big Mac meal is 6 dollars here, it will be 6 pounds in London. when I was there it was 2 dollars to 1 pound.

-Since you're there for a short trip try the double decker tour buses. You get to see a lot in a few hours.

-For a great steak try Angus Steak House. They have a few locations downtown.

-Take the Heathrow express train to London vice a taxi. You'll save a lot.

Things we enjoyed:

London Eye
Tower of London
Buckingham Palace
Kensington Palace
River Cruise on the Thames
Harrod's
Shopping on Saturday morning in Notting Hill
Tour a musuem (there are a lot!)
Day trip to Stonehenge
See a play (if you like music by Queen, see "We will rock you". It's a family favorite)
We also enjoyed going to Wimbledon, but that was in the summer. It might not be as fun in December!

For food, we found a hotel that offered a free English breakfast every morning. There was so much food, it held us till dinner if we just had a light snack in the afternoon. It was a great way to save money.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thank you, everyone! I've been to London before, many years ago. I traveled throughout Europe several times when I was in my 20s, but going back at this point is more for a getaway & to soak in a different culture, than the more exotic locations that I've traveled to since then.

I almost feel like I want to lean towards theatre, fashion, art, rather than just hitting touristy spots. I welcome any more ideas, that have not been mentioned.

wrap up warm it's bloody cold and wet around that time, if your going to stone henge it's about 2 hours away but there is a dropzone on the way (netheravon), London at Christmas time is really good though, there are thousends of tours to go on just pop into tourist info building there point you in the right direction

For fashion don't forget to visit Camden Market (indie/alt /grunge) or Covent Garden for touristy bits or the Westfield Centre (shopping Mall) if you like your designer label's - Jimmy Choo / Louis Vuitton / Prada etc ...

Art - you have the Tate Modern / National Gallery and many others ...

Theatre - there's a list as long as your arm - but don't pay full price for the tickets - there are plenty of booking booths in Leicester Square that will sell you a discounted ticket (unless there's a show that you MUST see).

Wimbledon is a great place but probably cold if you're visiting in December!

if you have time go on a daytrip to Cambridge or Oxford, should not be so busy that time of year.

Cambridge is sooo much nicer than Oxford:P (we live there and would be more than happy to meet up and show you around.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hi there VSG, I live and work in London. I work close to Hampstead Heath and Camden (both suggested in previous posts) so I'd be happy to have lunch with you one day, if you're in the area.

Yes, London Skydivers still happens once a month and I'm not sure when we are going to have it in December, although it does tend to be earlier than usual in December. Once we've figured that one out, I'll let you know! It would be great to have you along.

B|

www.sneale-create.com

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I would LOVE to meet with the Brit skydiving community. I will continue to post updates as I go forward with my plans. So far, I have my airline tickets bought so far, and that's it. I still need to find a nice, yet affordable hotel and decide upon an itinerary. All help with any of this is much appreciated, and I am very excited to meet some of you in December! :)