smsthilaire

Your word on Silibands by Parasport?

Hi everyone,

I've just received my order of ''Silibands by Parasport'' and haven't instal them yet but I was wondering if somebody could comment this new product.

As far as I'm concerned I should be able to give you my impressions within 48 hres.

Thanks,
I don't fear dying... I fear not living!

What sizes did you order/How they fit? It looks like "1 and 2" are recommended for the regular and locking stows (respectively) w/ microline?
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

I haven't tried them personally, but they are sold here in the Netherlands, and I've talked to some people who've used them.

They are quite expensive compared to a bag of regular rubber bands. The theory is that they are tough and durable and that they should last you a whole season of jumping. In practice however, the people I talked to said they didn't really last that much longer than regular rubber bands, and so weren't really worth the price. They get notches and small rips the same way rubber bands do, and eventually will shear and break.

So, their recommendation was to buy a bag of good quality rubber bands. Use the rubber bands with the highest percentage of rubber you can find.

BTW we're talking about these right? http://www.unfeathered.com/silibands1.html

Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

my dad managed to get a thing of silibands back in january and has been jumping them since hten. he has put probably about 30-45 jumps on them and i put about 20 jumps on them and only one has broke so far. they work good but i dont really care for them. they are hard to put lines through when you first get them. they do last awhile though. i know that regular rubber bands done last over 50 jumps. that is just my opinion on them.

Just like everyone else, the Jump Shack still offers a reserve free bag that does not use mil-spec bands.

Plenty of bag locks happen with mil-spec bands, but the fact that they typically break easy is a damn good reason not to use them for locking stows. The locking stows are often under a lot of tension even before the bag is accelerated off your back. If your locking stows break at the wrong time you have bag dump and a likely explosive opening. I think that a good many explosive openings are due to locking stows breaking at the wrong time. I would rather deal with a high speed bag lock than an explosive opening than injures me and destroys my canopy.

Notice how the jump shack's new reserve 'speed bag' uses so many of these rubber bands as locking stows. John Sherman doesn't trust his reserve design to just a couple of those wimpy things.

I make my own tube stows.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am