klafollette

Hillary Swank a skydiver???

Anyone know if Hillary Swank is a skydiver, or a 1 tandem jump wonder?

On Jay Leno show tonight, Hillary Swank was on (Disclaimer: TV was just on, background noise, I don't purposely watch Leno). I had to rewind the TiVo a couple times to believe I actually heard her say this. Jay's asking about her being a "Daredevil". She said she skydived and bungee jumped. Jay then follows up to ask if it was just like a one time thing to see if she could do it and then move on, or does she do it cause it's fun? Then Hillary says this:

"No I love it, do it for fun. The first time I jumped out of plane, I started at the cockpit and I ran and jumped out of the plane" as she makes a "Shhweeew" sound and sticks out her arms like doing a boxman. Everybody oohs and ahhhs like she's amazing!!!

What?? Is she trying to pull the "I'm a Skydiver" bullshit story on national television?? Usually when I hear something like that out of someone's mouth, I ask where they jump and I hear "Oh, I have a buddy with an airplane and chutes, a few of us get together and he takes us up. We land in my back yard".

Ask a Perris or Elsinore jumper if she ever jumped there. Sure there are a lot of other DZs that have had celebrities, but I'd bet those two have had the most.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Back in her 20s, for example, she learned to skydive.

The first time she jumped, the actress started near the cockpit, ran the length of the plane and hurtled straight out the back door.

“It’s spectacular,” she said then.

“You jump with everything you have.

You feel so alive.” Swank no longer skydives, but her philosophy of life hasn’t changed.

“I jump in with both feet,” she says.

“That’s a pretty good way to sum me up.

Who cares.
People are allowed to be excited that they have done a few skydives.

Saying why is she trying to pull this bullshit, is a pretty egotistical response.

First of all it is great publicity for us, secondly if people did not get a huge rush and sense of achievment from doing a single tandem or a tandem jump every other year, us sport skydivers would not have the turbine aircrafts we love so much and skydiving would not be as evolved as it is.

I woulddnt say she is presenting herself as a weekend jumper, more a person who does the odd skydive here and there and loves the shit out of it.

Whats wrong with telling the world that.

I imagine her life she is not trying to make herself sound cool as in all reality she is a famous moviestar who is rich as fuck and Im glad she is spending her money in our industry and telling the world about how much fun skydiving is.

If it was not for celbrities skydiving or skydiving in the media then 90% of us would not be here.

I am certain about 50% of us here because we watched point break.

Good on for promoting our sport. More people doing tandems means more wind tunnels, more turbines, more boogies and more gear.

To talk about it as if she has no right to talk about it on national tv seems like you think she does not deserve to.
At the end of the day it is people like her that got our sport to where it is. If it wasnt for tandems we would be jumping in cessnas and the marketing of skydiving would be so shit that half of us would never of thought it possible.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

She apparently has a wuffo husband who made her stop jumping.

What a dickhead.

She and her husband take cross-country road trips with their pets. And they stay not at the Four Seasons, but at Motel 6. In Manhattan, they eat out or go to the movies. Or they have friends over for "serious, serious game nights. I think just being athletic my whole life and being into sports, I like a good game," says Swank, who excels at chess and Scrabble but has lost to Lowe a few times in both.

His one request of his sporty spouse? That she not skydive, Swank says with a giggle.

I will no longer jump when and if I have children. Until they are at least old enough to get a job. So about the first 5 years of their life.:P

Sure, you say that now. Just get a good life insurance policy. Vskydiver waited 5-6 days after each kid before she started jumping again. :P

Totally cool if Hillary Swank skydived. She's very athletic, very smart, would make a great jumper. I wish her husband wasn't such a little girly man about it all, sheesh. :D

Vskydiver waited 5-6 days after each kid before she started jumping again. :P

"5-6 *DAYS*"???:o

Oh, you mean you adopted kids?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Apparently I'm REALLY outta touch.
My first guess is she's a celebrity...which might explain that...but ... who the fuck is Hillary Swank.
Not even worth a google since I don't even thin I've heard the name before.
Which would remind me ... why the hell would I care about a celebrity that has less than zero impact on my life in any possible manner.......??????:S
Never will I understand that either. :S

Apparently I'm REALLY outta touch.
My first guess is she's a celebrity...which might explain that...but ... who the fuck is Hillary Swank.
Not even worth a google since I don't even thin I've heard the name before.
Which would remind me ... why the hell would I care about a celebrity that has less than zero impact on my life in any possible manner.......??????:S
Never will I understand that either. :S

Yes, she's a celebrity. An actress.

Quite a good one, in my opinion.

She's starring in "Amelia" coming out soon in theatres. Probably why the "daredevil" comment came out on Leno.

Info here http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005476/ if you care to look.

And like Bigway said -- does it MATTER if she's a current jumper or a two tandem wonder.

:)
'Shell

Okay, guess I was being a bit judgemental. Just sounded like a typical BS "I'm a skydiver" story. I just can't see an instructor letting a first jump AFF student run down the aisle and superman it out the door. That's what she makes it sound like.

I just saw it here on the west coast, and I had the same exact thought you had, hence, logged in to see everyone else' view.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Hi Robert

Some of those women are hard core skydiver's more than 5-6 days could be 2 wkends grounded.

I wonder how close to the delivery date a hard core skydiving women with a normal pregnency would go.

John you've been around a long time whats the most pregnent active skydiver you've ever seen. :P
One Jump Wonder

The first time she jumped, the actress started near the cockpit, ran the length of the plane and hurtled straight out the back door.

I've seen that alot on first jumps...haven't you guys?:S
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Hi Robert

Some of those women are hard core skydiver's more than 5-6 days could be 2 wkends grounded.

I wonder how close to the delivery date a hard core skydiving women with a normal pregnency would go.

John you've been around a long time whats the most pregnent active skydiver you've ever seen. :P

One of our hardcore competitors here in SA jumped right up until her due date, i don't remember the exact time frame but when the kid was born he had more jumps than a lot of the people on our DZ :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Usually when I hear something like that out of someone's mouth, I ask where they jump and I hear "Oh, I have a buddy with an airplane and chutes, a few of us get together and he takes us up. We land in my back yard".

Glad I'm not the only one to hear that.. my personal favorite is "my parents own a dropzone, I can jump anytime I want" but when you ask where the dropzone is you get answered with a question..
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

I've seen that alot on first jumps...haven't you guys?:S

that description just screams!!! tandem....
out of a tailgate..

and if there was video then she could have "re-experienced' that one dive , over and over again,,, to the point where she truly DOES believe that "she's done it a number of times"...:|

NOW lets Get JAY Leno out to a DZ to make a few,,,, and THAT would be a positive thing for the sport....B|

jmy
POPS 3935
36 hrs. 1281