bigway

'V' The TV Series.

A classic....
Ground breaking special effects :D

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Talking about the remake that was on today.

Ohhh my bad... :$
Didn't even know they have done a remake... [:/]
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

A classic....
Ground breaking special effects :D

Not to mention nerve-racking hollywood tactics..

"The body consists of many cells, all operating independently from each other. We as the resistance must group closely together all in one place." - for which they choose a hideout on the outskirts of the town they operate in, with the main entrance in plain sight of a major freeway. :D

Fortunately that is amended somewhat in 'V - the final battle', in which they have at least spread out to some less obvious locations.

But I am looking forward to that remake.. Perhaps they can actually improve on the original.:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Just watched it. I think it might become pretty good. Story line half way through gets good.

I liked the premiere.. it certainly has a lot of potential.

QUASI-SPOILER ALERT

I think the revelation of the sinister aliens and the hint of their true form is a bit too quick for me. I would have liked them to draw that out a bit. Also, the revelation of some 'regular' people being aliens came a bit too fast.

END SPOILER ALERT

One thing I was wondering - what engineering decision results in the bottom of a spaceship being a gigantic TV screen? :ph34r:

One thing I was wondering - what engineering decision results in the bottom of a spaceship being a gigantic TV screen? :ph34r:

Actually, to me, that is one of the least far fetched ideas.

If the one of the "V" strategies for taking over a planet was to hover over and study them, they would need a visual cloaking skin on their ships so as to blend in with the ever changing sky conditions.

The same technology that could be used for visual cloaking could be used to project images. In fact, the US has worked on this sort of thing since WWII (believe it or not).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Any good?

It had moments, but overall I'd say it moved WAY too fast for the first episode.

There were numerous logic problems. For instance, how exactly did "mom" find "motorcycle boy" in the middle of the city while cell phone service is inoperative and the biggest panic attack since 9/11?

If the "V" are here for water, then why park their ships over cities rather than, i don't know, maybe that 3/5th of the surface of the planet covered by WATER?

How did the "resistance" figure out the reptilian nature of the "V"? Oh sure, "Mr. Exposition" comes on screen and and explains in great detail for five minutes what's going on, but how did he figure that out? BTW, thanks for saving the production company from having to show us anything actually cool by just freekin' talking about it.

Show #1 sould have been all about the "wonder" of "V" showing up with just a hint of a subtext of evil lurking behind the scenes. Instead, what we got was it all laid out for us with virtually no mystery left to tune in for.
quade -

If the one of the "V" strategies for taking over a planet was to hover over and study them, they would need a visual cloaking skin on their ships so as to blend in with the ever changing sky conditions.

The same technology that could be used for visual cloaking could be used to project images. In fact, the US has worked on this sort of thing since WWII (believe it or not).

Yes, there is Army research into that kind of technique, for camouflage. For example, a camera can be pointing outward on the left side of a tank, and the image it captures can be projected onto the right side of the tank. Therefore, any enemy looking at the tank from the right side, appears to see right through it to the terrain on the other side, making it invisible.

Actually, to me, that is one of the least far fetched ideas.

I'm not question that it's far fetched or impossible - but WHY would you want that feature?

I think your last paragraph helps explain it.

I also had the problem that it moved too fast, but given the short leash shows get before cancellation, it probably doesn't have the luxury of developing a well-thought out story without some immediate viewer gratification.

Any good?

It had moments, but overall I'd say it moved WAY too fast for the first episode.

There were numerous logic problems. For instance, how exactly did "mom" find "motorcycle boy" in the middle of the city while cell phone service is inoperative and the biggest panic attack since 9/11?

If the "V" are here for water, then why park their ships over cities rather than, i don't know, maybe that 3/5th of the surface of the planet covered by WATER?

How did the "resistance" figure out the reptilian nature of the "V"? Oh sure, "Mr. Exposition" comes on screen and and explains in great detail for five minutes what's going on, but how did he figure that out? BTW, thanks for saving the production company from having to show us anything actually cool by just freekin' talking about it.

Show #1 sould have been all about the "wonder" of "V" showing up with just a hint of a subtext of evil lurking behind the scenes. Instead, what we got was it all laid out for us with virtually no mystery left to tune in for.

I have a feeling that the backstory part will be fleshed out more fully in the future, but the reveal of the partner and the black guy as aliens came too soon.

Also, really, if the one alien guy really wants to show these aliens are bad, wouldn't it take a simple showing up at a news station going 'I'm an alien and this is what they're here for' to get it going?

I don't think that the aliens are here for water - in the preview for the season, the FBI woman goes "why haven't they just killed us all - they must need us" - and previews i've read say that this plot is deeper than that (because really it doesn't fly anymore in this day and age - an advanced race that needs water can just go to the asteroid belt or other planets and get as much of it as they need without having to brainwash or fight a resistance).

I thought about the 'cities' thing too. I think that on one hand, you'd want to approach slowly so that the inhabitants know you aren't hostile.

The flipside of that is that if they've been observing humanity, they'd certainly know that we're very quick with the trigger finger. A way to make sure we're not going to nuke them as soon as they're seen is to park over each of the biggest cities in the world - you can't kill the ship without taking out the city below.

Also, my thought on this (and with the ships in independence day too) - is that whatever power/thrust/anti-gravity device they use to fly their ships would likely be hazardous to the health of those directly below.

I don't think that the aliens are here for water

Oh, clearly not! That was their lame attempt at a cover story and a huge logic hole since lots of people besides "FBI chick" should have figured that out nearly instantly.
quade -

Talking about the remake that was on today.

It's in a time slot competing with "NCIS", the #1 show on TV. I'm a fan of NCIS, but it's been getting too predictably monotonous lately. Maybe I'll switch over and see what "V" is all about...

Get a DVR.

It's been great since we got ours. Generally we now record what we want to watch one night and watch it the next day or later. Depending on the system you get, you can record four shows at the same time. You can fast forward through all the commercials and save about 15 minutes per each one hour show.

You can use the extra time you have to surf DZ.com or drunk dial someone!

Any good?

Wow Quade we agree on something :P

I was pumped to see this as I loved V as a kid. I think I will still like it and get in to it but I agree with what you said Quade.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I don't think that the aliens are here for water

Oh, clearly not! That was their lame attempt at a cover story and a huge logic hole since lots of people besides "FBI chick" should have figured that out nearly instantly.

I just mentioned it because I thought that was what the aliens were after in the original series, right?

Am I the only one who remembers the original version? It sucked then and it sucks now, only in HD and with cgi effects. No matter how much sugar you put on a turd, it's still a turd.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Am I the only one who remembers the original version? It sucked then and it sucks now, only in HD and with cgi effects. No matter how much sugar you put on a turd, it's still a turd.

No, I remember that one. Never really liked it. That is why I asked if this was a remake of it.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

>Therefore, any enemy looking at the tank from the right side, appears
>to see right through it to the terrain on the other side, making it invisible.
Unfortunately that only works from one very specific angle.

You don't really need it to precisely match the background from every angle. You only need it to have the same basic colors and break up the outline of the object you're trying to hide. That's how fixed camouflage works and this would be no different.

Hell, in WWII they just added some spotlights to the leading edges of airplanes so that instead of looking like a black dot in the sky, the airplane was roughly the same luminosity of the sky behind it. Worked fairly well too.

But in any case, we're getting off the track here. Let's get back to ripping apart "V".

The original two part mini series and subsequent weekly was really about the appeal of totalitarian governments, specifically Nazis, and how easy it was for people to begin to identify with them.

It will be interesting to see how closely they follow that aspect. There's already a strong hint they're going to with "motorcycle boy" joining the "V" version of the Hitler Youth, so hopefully subsequent episodes in this series do explore that a bit.
quade -

No, you aren't alone.

The original was really stupid. I haven't (and won't) watch the new one.

Of all the shows they could remake, it had to be this one. Why not BJ and the Bear???:D:D
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo