JayCam

Why wouldnt my cutaway cutaway?

The red cable may be harder to terminate and not as tough but overall I'd say it is better since you don't need to touch it. I guess I will need to test myself because no one (including JumpShack) has been able to give me proper comparative test results...

rm

I have ~16 reserve rides these days and at least for my stuff - the red cable is WAY WAY WAY easier to chop with than the yellow. Its a night and day difference....

W

I have ~16 reserve rides these days and at least for my stuff - the red cable is WAY WAY WAY easier to chop with than the yellow. Its a night and day difference....

What is the difference between the cutaway forces for yellow with inserts vs. red without inserts vs. red with inserts, all with the same number of riser twists, say 6 twists? That is the question.

If twisting the risers increases the friction on the cutaway cables and inserts reduces/eliminates the friction from twisted risers, it should make a difference even for the red cables.

Derek

What is the difference between the cutaway forces for yellow with inserts vs. red without inserts vs. red with inserts, all with the same number of riser twists, say 6 twists? That is the question.

Derek

It probably would make a difference, but me (5'1 130 lb girl) has never had even the slightest problem cutting away from spinning twists with the red cable. I suspect it certainly would make it easier as well, but none of my rigs have them, so I have no personal experienc,e and the only times I've had a hard cutaway (twice) it was on yellow cable.

W

It probably would make a difference, but me (5'1 130 lb girl) has never had even the slightest problem cutting away from spinning twists with the red cable.

Were any of the times you had spinning line twists, did they include twisted risers?

I suspect it certainly would make it easier as well, but none of my rigs have them, so I have no personal experienc,e and the only times I've had a hard cutaway (twice) it was on yellow cable.

Were the yellow cables cleaned within the last 30-days? Were the 2 hard cutaways with twisted risers? Did the risers have metal inserts?

Derek

Were any of the times you had spinning line twists, did they include twisted risers?

In all honesty its hard to remember - when you have a 75 sq ft canopy spinning up that fast. I'm not really paying attention. I can't imagine that of all of those that none of them did.

Were the yellow cables cleaned within the last 30-days?

All of my yellow cables cutaways were back in the mid-90's so I'm rather fuzzy on that. I know one of them was immediately after a repack so it probably was, others maybe not. I would clean them regularly at the time but not oil them.
Were the 2 hard cutaways with twisted risers? Did the risers have metal inserts? [/quote

I have never had a cutaway with inserts so all of my knowledge is from risers without them.

W

From Jumpshack's web site:
-----
Discussion: In April 1997, Jump Shack began manufacturing release handles with a red Teflon coating, replacing the yellow Lolon-coated cables. The Teflon cables are a response to an epidemic of difficult cutaways, and the realization that many skydivers do not regularly maintain their cables. Teflon-coated cutaway cables were introduced for purposes of reducing maintenance and lowering the typically high pull forces which are associated with lack of maintenance in the Lolon-based system. (The industry-standard yellow Lolon cables must be inspected and oiled on a monthly basis).
----

I've never done any pull-force tests or anything on them, but I do recall very vividly the first time I chopped with the red cables - I went back into freefall staring at the handle in my hand cuz I couldn't believe it pulled so easily...

From Jumpshack's web site:
-----
Discussion: In April 1997, Jump Shack began manufacturing release handles with a red Teflon coating, replacing the yellow Lolon-coated cables. The Teflon cables are a response to an epidemic of difficult cutaways, and the realization that many skydivers do not regularly maintain their cables. Teflon-coated cutaway cables were introduced for purposes of reducing maintenance and lowering the typically high pull forces which are associated with lack of maintenance in the Lolon-based system. (The industry-standard yellow Lolon cables must be inspected and oiled on a monthly basis).
----

I've never done any pull-force tests or anything on them, but I do recall very vividly the first time I chopped with the red cables - I went back into freefall staring at the handle in my hand cuz I couldn't believe it pulled so easily...

From an earlier post by the old guy with the big beard:

The red cable is Teflon. It is very slippery, but not very tough. (You can even damage it with your fingernail.) I have seen it crack and come off the end of the cable. If it were better than Lolon, I would use it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The red cable is Teflon. It is very slippery, but not very tough. (You can even damage it with your fingernail.) I have seen it crack and come off the end of the cable. If it were better than Lolon, I would use it.

The cracking red cable was an issue with one batch when it was being introduced. I think it is far to say the yellow (Lolon) cable is extremely tough and the red (teflon) cable is not as tough. but when people do not clean and lubricate their cutaway cables (and no one I know does) then which one would be better? The red cable is maintenence free. I also wonder if the red cable is compatable with metal riser inserts.

Anyway, what was the root cause of the original posters problem???

rm

The cracking red cable was an issue with one batch when it was being introduced. I think it is far to say the yellow (Lolon) cable is extremely tough and the red (teflon) cable is not as tough. but when people do not clean and lubricate their cutaway cables (and no one I know does) then which one would be better? The red cable is maintenence free. I also wonder if the red cable is compatable with metal riser inserts.

rm

Discussing which one is better and which one is easier to cutaway with is a waste of time. It doesn’t matter what John Sherman says about his rigs and the use of red cable.
The fact is that the vast majority of rigs manufactured today have systems that us the yellow cable.

The yellow cable should be removed, inspected, cleaned and lubed with silicone at least every 30 days. Risers, especially Type 17, that are used with yellow cable should have metal inserts in the cable channel.

I think it is far better to listen to the man that invented the 3-ring system then people that have changed one part of that system.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

rm

Discussing which one is better and which one is easier to cutaway with is a waste of time. It doesn’t matter what John Sherman says about his rigs and the use of red cable.
The fact is that the vast majority of rigs manufactured today have systems that us the yellow cable.

The yellow cable should be removed, inspected, cleaned and lubed with silicone at least every 30 days. Risers, especially Type 17, that are used with yellow cable should have metal inserts in the cable channel.

I think it is far better to listen to the man that invented the 3-ring system then people that have changed one part of that system.

Sparky

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It does not matter what colour your cables are. If you are too lazy to clean them, you are a crater looking for coordinates.

Does anyone know how wide risers compare to mini risers in respect to their vulnerability to riser twists?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Does anyone know how wide risers compare to mini risers in respect to their vulnerability to riser twists?

I have never seen or heard of one twist up and have problems cutting away. But then again not many people put a small elliptical on Type VIII risers.:P

Sparky

Just so you know, the company of that man currently recommends 3-ring maintenance at least every 90 days("three months", pg 74 of the latest version of the Vector3 manual, off the RWS website).

Just so you know, the company of that man currently recommends 3-ring maintenance at least every 90 days("three months", pg 74 of the latest version of the Vector3 manual, off the RWS website).

Thank you, I had not noticed that part of the new manual. But that is followed by this:

It’s important to maintain the system even more frequently in humid, muddy or freezing conditions.
If the Vector becomes immersed in mud or muddy water,

So would you say that every 30 days is acceptable?

Sparky

So, there was an issue with the coating cracking on a particular type of cable at some point, yet you say it's maintenance free? Personally, I'd still pull the cables out occasionally and inspect it for cracking...... Also, the red cable SHOULD be compatible with metal inserts since that's how they are routed to the 3 ring assembly;)

So, there was an issue with the coating cracking on a particular type of cable at some point, yet you say it's maintenance free? Personally, I'd still pull the cables out occasionally and inspect it for cracking...... Also, the red cable SHOULD be compatible with metal inserts since that's how they are routed to the 3 ring assembly;)

I don't say the red cable is maintenence free --- JumpShack does. They say you don't NEED to clean it and never need to lubricate it. I do clean/inspect mine once a year. It should be compatable (like you say) with metal inserts but I only buy risers made by the rig manufacturer --- JumpShack don't make risers with hard housings --- their testing shows they are not needed (again, with the red cable). So what was the root cause of the hard pull - a non lubed cable maybe???

So would you say that every 30 days is acceptable?

Acceptable? Of course. Hell, knock your self out; I don't see any harm in cleaning your cables every week if you feel like it.

Necessary? Probably not in most conditions.

Another related issue I recently noticed was that new rigs seem to need more regular cleaning. I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that the manufacturer of the cutaway housings uses some kind of oil in the manufacturing process, but only cleans the outside of the housing when they're done.

The DZ I currently work at got a lot of brand new gear in the beginning of the season, and we've noticed that the cables on rigs that have been in use no longer than a couple of weeks can be extremely dirty.

Maybe the manufacturers should start cleaning the housings before building the harness-containers? Or maybe the rigger assembling the rig should do it?

Another related issue I recently noticed was that new rigs seem to need more regular cleaning. I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that the manufacturer of the cutaway housings uses some kind of oil in the manufacturing process, but only cleans the outside of the housing when they're done.

The cable housings are made the same way they have always been made. During manufacture there is a cutting oil that is used and there is a residue left on the inside. On new rigs I run a length of 750 braided nylon through the housings a few times and this will remove most of the curd. But due to their design, coil wrap, it will continue to seep out of the coil laps for sometime.
And this is true on all rig, including Racers.

Necessary? Probably not in most conditions.

Scary statement when talking about parachute type things.:P