MWGemini

Software for designing patterns for sewing

I've been looking around at a few different software packages for designing sewing patterns, and was wondering if anyone has ever used them before, and what your experience with it was.

All the programs I have seen so far are geared towards clothing, and seem to only allow for modifications of current patterns. While that is nice, I'd also like to have the ability to design my own patterns from scratch, and not just for clothing. Does anyone know of a program that can do that?

Also, have you ever used (or seen) a program that can display the finished pattern in 3d (none of the ones I have looked at so far can)?

Thanks,

Mike

I'd also like to have the ability to design my own patterns from scratch

If you want to make your own patterns I'd check with your local community college and see if they offer a pattern making class (several in my area do). Even if it's geared primarily toward clothing, the principles will be the same for whatever you're building.

I've not taken the class yet but I've created a couple of patterns and modified several more, working with the textbook and a coworker who has taken the class. It's not all that hard, and it's kinda fun. :)

I may do that.

What I'm looking to be able to do is design a simple pattern for a gear bag. I just finished my first sewing project (an altimeter mount for my mud flap), and apparently did not think the original design through enough. That is why I'm wanting to be able to design it and see it in 3d before I actually start sewing it. As designs get larger, that feature will become more and more useful for me, since I'm sure I will overlook things.

Thanks,

Mike

AutoCAD is far too complex for fabric patterns.
A couple of well-respected, West Coast manufacturers use Anvil software which is written for tin bashers (sheet metal fabricators) and is easily adaptable to flat fabric patterns.
Also try researching software written for making paper scale model airplanes.

I may do that.

What I'm looking to be able to do is design a simple pattern for a gear bag. I just finished my first sewing project (an altimeter mount for my mud flap), and apparently did not think the original design through enough. That is why I'm wanting to be able to design it and see it in 3d before I actually start sewing it. As designs get larger, that feature will become more and more useful for me, since I'm sure I will overlook things.

Thanks,

Mike

Advice:

1. Forget software for awhile; learn how to sew first.

2. Keep your first projects simple. Weight bags are good - either for main packing, or shotbags for reserve/BASE, velcro reserve line protectors for reserves, etc.

3. Realize that you WILL screw up. Become adept at stitch-picking in the process.

4. Use the right materials and machines .... our loft is open to you. We have lots of scrap for practice.

5. From what we've seen in this sport & rigging, most designs come from someone who had an idea, made a prototype, tested it/got input, refined it, then finally perfected it.

As far as your gear bag, why re-invent the wheel? Find a bag or luggage design that you like, examine it very closely, deconstruct it (either in real life or in your head,) think through the steps of the manufacturing process, take a bunch of measurements and then reconstruct it with good materials. If you feel comfortable asking, get input from others. You may not be happy with it; may have to refine it.

But, you might end up with the best gear bag ever.

Good luck!
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL