HydroGuy

? for Mirage owners or riggers

I am researching Mirage containers. Right now I am leaning towards a G4...size M4. Will probably set it up with a Dash M 181 reserve. For starts, will have a Spectre 190/Safire 2 189 main.

My question is: Will a Spectre 150/Safire2 149 work in this container (obviously in the future)?

I contacted Ward from Mirage. He said the factory doesn't recommend going that small on the main. He also stated to ask on dropzone.com if any other Mirage owners have tried this same combo, and then make my own decision. So here I am.....
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Why are you planning so far in the future?

Buy what you need now. Accomodate for one downsize. That is easy to predict. It is impossible to predict what you want beyond that.

My guess is that you will want a new container with all the latest and greatest of the time.

Mirage containers hold their resale value well enough that you should be able to upgrade without too much pain.

I'm not sure where people are gettin the idea of thier first new container being their one and only.

The used gear market needs gently used modern gear. Your rig will have good resale value if you treat it well and maintain it properly. If you decide to keep downsizing, it makes good sense to get an appropriate container for your canopy selections. This will ensure the best openings and spare you some safety concerns.

In short. My recommendation is to buy your container with a snug fit for your current canopies. This will allow you to downsize. When you make a second downsize, re-evaluate and research your options then. You don't have to plan your entire skydiving career today.

I accomodate many customer of all budgets with this philosophy. It seems to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

That's great advice Bonnie has just given you. What i can't understand though is why all new skydivers want new gear?

Think about it this way. At 44 jumps your landings are getting there but nowhere near perfect. Plus with the enormous size of the skydiving industry in the US there's 2nd hand gear (in really good shape) being sold all the time.

Just a suggestion, think about buying quality 2nd hand gear and spend the balance of the cash you would have spent on getting your jump numbers up.

By the time you're ready to downsize you'll have your landings sorted and you'll be guaranteed to keep new gear shiny and new for longer.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Trends vary from drop zone to drop zone.

But most of my first time customers seek out used gear or a new/used combination.

There is no perfect combination. If you limit yourself to "used gear because you my fuck it up during your trial and error phase", then you may end up settling for something that is not quite right. Too big, too small, older and not freefly friendly, or just plain ugly. ;)

I sit each jumper down and consult with them. We first consider what they need. Then we consider budget. After that we start researching what is available in both the used gear and new gear market.

It is never the same for each customer.

If it is new gear or used gear, if you mess it up, then it will have poor resale value. And your next purchase will be painful because you'll get little for you crap gear.

On the other hand. If you get the right gear from the get go, you learn how to take care of it and fly it properly, then your second gear purchase is not so financially painfull. You get a good price for your used gear to put toward your new or newer gear.

Just my .02 cents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Hey Bonnie,

Many valid points in your post too! Guess i should have replied to the original poster, in no way was i slamming gear dealers recommending new gear to new jumpers :$

I'm also a big fan of the "made for you container" and used canopies deal, i just hate seeing newbies walking around with brand spanking new gear but flying it like crap.

Take care
PJ

I didn't think you were slammin'.

I'm just saying there is no cookie cutter answer.

And I understand how you feel too. I didn't have new gear until well into my skydiving.... dare I say.... career.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

just hate seeing newbies walking around with brand spanking new gear but flying it like crap.

why??? I had a choice, I went new. Money was not an
issue.I am not as seasoned and proficient as you,
maybe i should have waited until my 300th or so.

PS: I am buying another new one next year...

Money was not an issue.

Good for you.

If you can afford the new gear and the jumps, do it. I was reffering to people spending loads on new gear and having little or no cash left over to develope their skills. ;)