DavidB

H1N1 flu in the news question

Every single day on the local & network news is another story, or four, about the latest flu vaccine, who got it, & how many confirmed cases reported in the area. Every day for the last 4 or 5 weeks!

Is this happening ANYWHERE else, or is this just a US phenomena?
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I'd hate to think this glaring lack of response means what I think it means...

Really? There haven't been news stories about swine flu in Europe, or anywhere else? It's only the US news services that feel it's necessary to report on this epidemic?

Curious... :|

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I don't have the details on the rest of the country but at the hospital I work at we have been seeing record numbers. Washington Department of Health has given all hospitals permission to convert any usable space to accommodate the high volumes. Meaning if needed we can convert office space, kitchen, storage into patient rooms..

I hope the country never reaches that point.....Scary, Scary, Scary[:/]

Remember to wash your hands often and cover your cough!!:P

Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

I'm pissed at the scarce supply of available vaccine. Not sure who to be pissed at, but I'm pissed. I want my kids and elderly parents to get it, but they can't find it.

The issue is that the vaccine doesn't grow in the eggs at the same rate as previous vaccines have. The companies making the vaccine did stellar work identifying it and creating it, but like I said, it grows slower than normal. The only thing in the system you can be pissed at is H1N1 itself. Outside the system you can be a little pissed at the people that weren't taking it seriously enough a few months ago and those that continue to mock the system for trying to keep it under control. Oh yeah, and the people that think vaccination is a government conspiracy.

Sigh.

60 Minutes did an excellent piece on the subject a couple of weeks back.
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minutes/video/?pid=26_uo8dJra8LiMvZNVCKUMSgYxC1mxuS
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

In ways it may be over hyped by the media. Overall, I think vaccinations in general serve a good purpose.

I wasn't particularly planning on getting the H1N1 vaccination but it was recommended so I did. I had no problems with it so far.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

It's just as bad here in Canada. It's in the news every day, the politicians are screaming that they were unprepared, the media is blowing it out of proportion, there was a hospital in London, Ontario that had 3. cases of H1N1 and they called it an outbreak, now the politicians are pissed off that hospital execvutives and NHL players bumped the high risk groups and got the vaccine when it was first released and of course the latest is the Canadian military is offering to insurgents they capture in Afghanistan, It seems to be a global cluster fuck.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

I'd hate to think this glaring lack of response means what I think it means...

Really? There haven't been news stories about swine flu in Europe, or anywhere else? It's only the US news services that feel it's necessary to report on this epidemic?

Curious... :|

There was a fair bit about it in the press a while back but as it was based upon scare mongery and very little else... who gives a shit?

Our government, bought a massive batch of the vaccine (which appears to have been rushed through development and testing) and I for one wont be touching it with a proverbial barge pole.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The death toll in Alberta is 25 now. It seems higher than in other areas and yes it is usually the lead or second story in the news. Clinics have had to close due to shortages and it is restricted to various tiers of high risk, unless you have connections with the Calgary Flames, then you have already gotten it.
As far as the vaccinations being safe? Well the Canadian Medical Association says we should as well as the National Centre for Disease Control. On the other hand some people who think the moon landing was faked think we shouldn't.

We spent the day at the University Hospital in Iowa City Iowa. My hubby is on immunosuppressants. His Dr. said if there was only one dose of the vaccine available in the Hospital, he would give it to Dave, but there isn't even one available. He said 14 died last Friday.
As far as risk from the vaccine, he said that one in one hundred thousand may have problems. (I think that was the number)
Guess I'm spending tomorrow on the phone, looking for vaccine. Injectable please...
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Agreed.

As of 1 November 2009, worldwide more than 199 countries and overseas territories/communities have reported laboratory confirmed cases of pandemic influenza H1N1 2009, including over 6000 deaths.

source - go to the table at the bottom of that website.

But even today, I had one lady refuse the vaccination because her chiropractor told her it was dangerous. [:/]

Just got an email from the French consulate in Shanghai, offering free vaccination to all citizens and their family (even if not citizens themselves). A good thing, as when it hits China hard (which should be any time now), it will not be pretty... So getting vaccinated next week!:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I don't have the details on the rest of the country but at the hospital I work at we have been seeing record numbers. Washington Department of Health has given all hospitals permission to convert any usable space to accommodate the high volumes. Meaning if needed we can convert office space, kitchen, storage into patient rooms..

I hope the country never reaches that point.....Scary, Scary, Scary[:/]

Remember to wash your hands often and cover your cough!!:P

Personally, i think most of it is media hype. we have up to 24000 die annually of flu. current cdc guidelines say do not treat those between the ages of 3-65 unless they have a comorbid condition....such as asthma, diabetes, cardiac disease, respiratory disease or those who are immunocompromised. which means that the average joe who comes and sees me doesn't get tamiflu but symptomoatic management unless they have something on assessment that says to me "you need to do more." yes....people who are getting h1n1 are miserable.....yes the flu is miserable.....and honestly i wouldn't wish it upon my worse enemy.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!