Andy_Copland

Anyone Good With Pictures?

I want to lighten a photo but dont know how without the standard windows picture viewer thing. Is there anyway to save some of the quality to keep it looking sharp while lightening?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

This is the best I can do with my limited knowledge in this area....
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

I had a little play but couldn't produce anything better than the version Mr Wrong has already posted. Lightening it produces a lot of noise - which I think is unavoidable with a picture that's so dark to begin with - and using plugins to reduce the noise just blurs the whole thing.

I like the original the way it is though. Did you actually think it would look better lighter, or is there something you wanted to see for reference?

How big is the original file? 72kb is a really small file to work with. If you can send me the original file (unless this is it), I'll have a go with Lightroom or with Photoshop and see what I can come up with.

Were you looking to get some of the details back in the shadows? I think that the sillhouettes effect looks good as it was shot.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

You'll need to have the full file size, otherwise, like everyone has said, you lose all the data from the shrink.
Also, you have the silhouette, which is cool, and to get too much detail out of that area, you are going to completely blow out the sky, which has already gotten pretty far into the range of the "flashies" already...

Cool shot though.

I think the only way to make it the way you want it would have been to use a different shutter speed/aperture. What were the settings of those at the time you took the picture and what kind of camera were you using?

Edit to add my attempt at it

Here's my shot at it. It's hard to get detail in the rigs on their backs without getting too much artifact. Look at the right hip of the jumper on the left and you'll see what I'm talking about there. This is about 10 mins in Photoshop with a couple of adjustment layers and some unsharp mask.
Andy

Unfortunately RAW doesn't increase the dynamic range of the camera. It just eliminates compression when the file is saved in the camera. Most dSLRs have around 8 stops of dynamic range. I don't know about point and shoot cameras but imagine it's less.

An advantage of RAW is that it will keep a lot of the details in the shadows and won't compress it away. Highlights that are blown out are just lost. There's really nothing you can do to get detail back where something is pure white.
Andy

Thanks for everyones help, i was trying to just get some extra light on the rigs to see the colours.

I've came to the conclusion a better camera and more photography know how would be better than editing software :)

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.