johnnyoneeye

Is this a reasonable price for a used rig?

I am looking at buying my first rig. I have found a rig I am very interested in, but I do not know if the price is reasonable ($3600). The rig has a the following specs:

Javelin J4 – 100 Jumps – (2000)
Spectre 190 – 100 Jumps – (2000)
Tempo 210 Reserve – 0 Jumps- (2000)
Cypress – 0 Jumps – (2000, needs batteries and its 4yr inspection)

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

John

I suppose it depends on what you were looking for. I wouldn't pay more than 1100 for the container system, I personally wouldn't buy a Tempo, but I can't see it being worth more than 500$, and the Spectre probably 1200$. There is a website you can check cypres values at, I can't remember the location... maybe someone can link you. I wouldn't pay more than 600 for a cypres due for it's 4 year.

-A

Have you seen this rig and the canopy? The seller says it has that many jumps on it, but let the rigger look at it and see what they say.

I'm with Angela on the cypress. The seller is asking too much money.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I think that price is in the ballpark of reasonable, but I would keep in mind that as soon as you get it you will have to pay to have the Cypres 4-year inspection done. As I recall, that costs an additional $200 or $300 after shipping and insurance.

The way I supposed this price was reasonable was by assuming everything was in great condition due to it having low jump numbers, and then estimating the new prices.

If you buy a new harness, however, you can expect it to fit you very, very well. A used harness may not; you have to try it on and even if you think it fits well, it still might fit inferior to a custom-done rig.

I have seen Tempo 210s listed for $600 in the classifieds here and I sold mine for $500.

Personally, I expect a new rig with main, reserve, and AAD (some components of which may be lightly used or new lower-price-brands equipment) to be in the ballpark of $4,000. (As an exercise to the reader, make a price list and check it yourself.) So based on that, getting the same thing with 100 jumps on it for a little less sounds like you'd be paying for what you get - if all the equipment is actually sound.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

IMHO:

Javelin J4 – 100 Jumps – (2000) $1,000
Spectre 190 – 100 Jumps – (2000) $1,200
Tempo 210 Reserve – 0 Jumps- (2000) $500
Cypress – 0 Jumps – (2000, needs batteries and its 4yr inspection) $500

Give or take.

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Check the market and call some dealers to see what similar pieces are selling for.

I've always thought buying gear was a bit of a toss-up on the price. You can buy much newer stuff, put some jumps on it and see if the resale is still high enough to recover most or all of what you paid. The other option is to buy some good solid older gear that's going cheap and learn on that rig, then sell it cheap. I bought a complete set of gear for $2k from a retired jumper (Javelin, main, reserve, 8 year Cypres, ditter, pro-tech, flotation vest, jumpsuit, odds and ends). Now it's older stuff and not really suited for freefly, but it was cheap and sound and I'm not scared of scrubbing it on the tarmac (which I've done several times).