JohnRich

Movie: "Amelia"

The movie about Amelia Earhart, and her aviation feats.

I sure enjoyed the shiny old airplanes, old cars and old music. But the story really didn't do much for me. Maybe it was because everyone already knows how it's going to end.

That Lockheed Electra was polished up as shiny as a mirror. Wow.

The only part that was really interesting to me were the clues about how their disappearance came to be. Those are details I think I've known in the past but had forgotten. Like the radio homing beacon on a ship which was inoperative with a dead battery, and Earhart's radio being able to transmit only, but not receive.

Hillary Swank did a good job portraying Earhart, and even looks a lot like her.

P.S. Just looked up her N-number on the FAA registry. Interestingly, it has been permanently reserved in her name. Nice!
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N16020

A jumper friend of ours say the pacing of the story line was a little slow for her taste. With that said, I think Hillary probably did a good job portraying Amelia. There's a strong physical resemblance. I like those old round planes too. I'll probably wait to see it from the Big Red Box. :)

I thought it was a horrible film. They decided against telling an accurate story and instead focus on a completely mythical relationship between Earhart and Putnam. In reality the relationship between the two of them could not have been one more of convenience had they lived at a 7/11. And while they did show her side romance with Vidal, they only have one sentence that even briefly carries the subtext of her bisexuality.

I was extremely disappointed that in a film about an aviator, they seemed to have sucked virtually any of the joy and wonder out of flying. Oh sure, they thought they had put it in, but holy crap did they miss the mark for me. Early on there's a scene of Earhart supposed just after she had learned to fly. She's doing light aerobatics in a yellow bi-plane (Tiger?) and the cuts between the airplane flying and her in a studio being green screened into a shot could not be worse. FFS, they couldn't have attached a camera to a plane and taken her for a spin?

As for the shiny Lockheed Electras, why did the DF and other antennas keep switching from the top to the bottom of the plane?

After the Hawaii crash there's a hilarious scene where they're trying to piece the plane back together. Watch the background for an actor looking at a couple of the bent props for what may be more than a minute of screen time. WTF?

Arrgh.

Ya make a movie about a pilot as well known as Earhart and pilots are going to watch it. FFS get the details right on the airplanes and how they behave. Learn something about aviation.

Lastly, and yeah I know why the movie does this but it still doesn't make it right, the ending. They show Earhart as a stalwart heroic pilot at the controls never losing her cool and Noonan in the back of the airplane sniveling like a baby. That's some bullshit right there.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'll wait to comment until i see the flick although I imagine the casting was decent. But then, compared to "The Aviator", any movie has excellent casting.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

A jumper friend of ours say the pacing of the story line was a little slow for her taste. With that said, I think Hillary probably did a good job portraying Amelia. There's a strong physical resemblance. I like those old round planes too. I'll probably wait to see it from the Big Red Box. :)

I'd guess that the pace of real life would appear a touch slow, when we consider that Hollywood normally has to jazz things up to make them exciting.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the film - she was an amazing lady (from what I've read).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Lastly, and yeah I know why the movie does this but it still doesn't make it right, the ending. They show Earhart as a stalwart heroic pilot at the controls never losing her cool and Noonan in the back of the airplane sniveling like a baby. That's some bullshit right there.

[:/] They had to Hollywood it up, didn't they? Too bad.

No one noticed that they had 12A's instead of 10E's doing the flying.The plane from Z-hills was a 10E from the 70's. They had to build the Vega because none existed. All of this is from "Aviation History" I subscribe to. I have jumped both kinds also the 18 Lodestar and Connie 69 and a few C-130s.