fallfast69

Need help with a question

I'm helping my kid with a question on a test and I can't figure this one out. I already have the answer, but can someone explain how to solve it?

A 0.24-kilogram glider moving with a velocity of 0.6 m/s collides with and sticks to a 0.26-kilogram glider moving with a velocity of 0.2 m/s. The final velocity v of the two gliders is

A. 0.392 m/s.
B. 0.184 m/s.
C. 0.092 m/s.
D. -0.092 m/s.

Thanks,

Jon

I'm helping my kid with a question on a test and I can't figure this one out. I already have the answer, but can someone explain how to solve it?

A 0.24-kilogram glider moving with a velocity of 0.6 m/s collides with and sticks to a 0.26-kilogram glider moving with a velocity of 0.2 m/s. The final velocity v of the two gliders is

A. 0.392 m/s.
B. 0.184 m/s.
C. 0.092 m/s.
D. -0.092 m/s.

Thanks,

Jon

A is the correct answer if the first glider is overtaking the second. B is the correct answer if they are colliding, but the heavier, slower glider's speed should have been given as -0.2m/s.

Conservation of momentum (P (I think) = m × v): end speed is ((0.24×0.6)+(0.26×0.2))/(0.24+0.26).
Johan.
I am. I think.

Let's go with head on. I hope I remember enough physics.

Momentum = mass X velocity , or p=mv

So .24 x .6 = .144
.26 x .2 = .052

.144 - .052 = .092 for your new momentum, Divide by the new weight, .50 kilos, for the new velocity.

.092 / .5 = .184 m/s

Same direction collision gave me .392 m/s

Let's go with head on. I hope I remember enough physics.

Momentum = mass X velocity , or p=mv

So .24 x .6 = .144
.26 x .2 = .052

.144 - .052 = .092 for your new momentum, Divide by the new weight, .50 kilos, for the new velocity.

.092 / .5 = .184 m/s

Same direction collision gave me .392 m/s

Shouldn't the ATC guy be more concerned about who put the gliders on a collision course?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Gets even better if they collide at some God-awful angle. Gets real ugly if the velocities are not on the same plane. B|

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.