Thanatos340

The New Star Trek Movie

While I am a huge Sci-fi Geek, Never really been much of a Trekkie. I liked the movies and the most of the TV series but never thought it was more than just average Sci-fi for the most part.

I went to the Opening of the New Movie last night with 3 Hardcore Pointy Ear Wearing, klingon Speaking mega Trekkies and 1 total Non-Scifi type.

All 5 of us loved the movie. The movie was funny, great Characters (Casting could not have been better (except for maybe Checov). They really did manage to catch the essence of Star Trek without making the Movie overly Trekkie.

The Hardcore Trek fans that I went with went in with low expectations because they knew the Story line was not the same as the established story. They were happy with the way the Movie explained this.

Uhura was just plain fucking SMOKING!!! in this movie. The Kurt character was pure Kirk (Only without the really bad acting like the original). Great action scenes and a story that very well written. So many subtle references to the original series (even a great shot at Enterprise (The last TV series) with Scotty and Archers Beagle) and movies. Nemoy is this movie and has much more than just a Cameo as most people thought.

If you are a Trek fan, You will love it.
If you are NOT a Trek Fan, You will be after this one.

SWEET! We have VIP seating at Muvico tomorrow night.

Nothing better than being able to watch a good movie, have a cocktail, and not deal with anyone younger than 21 in your seating area.

WOOOOHOOOO! Can't wait.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

What is the deal with Muvico? I had never heard of them, so I looked them up after reading your post, but there isn't much info on their website. Is it one of those places where you can order dinner and drinks while watching a movie?

The Theater in Thousand Oaks, has private VIP balcony seating (approx. 68 seats). No one under 21 is allowed. There is a rest. & full bar, you can either order or bring food/drinks into the VIP section, or they will take your order and bring it to you.

They have 2 other seating sections. One that is reservable for all ages, and one that is general open seating.

It definitely cost alot more for the VIP seating, and it's unlikely I'll do it again in the near future - late birthday gift from my mom, so we're going all out!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
OMG, is she okay?

I'm not a big Trek fan, but have seen all of the movies, and enjoyed The Next Generation TV series. Thanks for the review on this movie. I will just wait for it to come out on DVD, unless there's a theater somewhere that offers open captioning. I'll have to check tripod.com.

In the trailers, I did notice how the actor portraying Captain Kirk had an uncanny resemblance to a young William Shatner.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>There is a rest. & full bar, you can either order or bring food/drinks into the
>VIP section, or they will take your order and bring it to you.

There are a few theaters in Portland like this. $3 to get in, beer and pizza available. (Sort of the opposite of VIP seating, with old couches in some, regular theater seating in others.)

Anybody that is a lifetime watcher of the series will be compelled to see it regardless of whatever I may say. I doubt even the most caustic review could keep away a person that grew up with the series and has had it be a part of their life for over 40 years.

Some things are delightful. Some things are inexplicable. Some things are actually awful. Most things are explanable, but the explanation is unsatisfying to me. Too much FanBoy & FanFic too. Was surprised by how clunky some elements were dropped into script.

Pluses; sound, costume and cinematography.
Minuses; set, makeup.

Exceptionally good working with material; McCoy & Scotty.

After a week or two goes by I'll talk about the issues I saw that I thought really stood out as crap. I can't really discuss them without giving a few things away.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>There is a rest. & full bar, you can either order or bring food/drinks into the
>VIP section, or they will take your order and bring it to you.

There are a few theaters in Portland like this. $3 to get in, beer and pizza available. (Sort of the opposite of VIP seating, with old couches in some, regular theater seating in others.)

That is a much more reasonable price than what we are paying! :ph34r: lol

Very cool!

g
OMG, is she okay?

Austin has the Alamo Drafthouse theater which is sort of like that. They serve beer and wine and pizza (and some other kinds of food). I don't think it's that cheap though, except when they show the free old B movies.

went to one several times when I lived in portland, but they were always several months behind on the new releases, have they changed this? being able to drink, eat while watching makes for a very enjoyable time - and since I have to go back in a few weeks I will wait to see it if they have it rather than see it here in a standard theatre.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Most things are explanable, but the explanation is unsatisfying to me.

Ditto - the (spoiler alert) "alternate universe" or "alternate dimension" or "alternate reality". Whatever it was. It was if the writers said to themselves, "there's really a lot we'd love to put into this movie, but because there is already so much ST media, the plot is too locked-down for us to write anything good. I guess we'll have to go with the time-traveling, temporal-event-changing alternate reality!" I assume that this cast is contracted for the next several movies, so from here forward, the movies will all follow this alternate reality. It's not like I wasn't already confused enough with the completely random stardates.

Overall, a really, really excellent movie. Reminiscent of Firefly, with the good CG and abundance of one-liners. A lot of good references to much of TOS, TNG and even Enterprise.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Saw it today and thought it was awesome!!! Have to admit I was a bit confused as I was unaware of the changes to the original history, but Wow. There was some great action and the characters were well done (for the most part). As already stated, it could be the start of a whole new set of films where anything can now happen.

By the way, I really enjoyed seeing grown men dressed down in their best Star Fleet uniforms... Where is Galaxyquest when you need it??

Was impressed by the cinematography, and special effects. Over all the movie had too much of an ADHD flavor, and I'll agree with Paul, the CGI might be great but the "real" sets were fucking garbage. I mean a push bar door (Federation outpost) in the 23 century?

I'll give it a "meh".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's also good to know you can build these huge spaceships right in the middle of an oil refinery.

Also . . . exactly where in IOWA is that 2,000 foot deep sheer wall canyon?
quade -

For those that think the use of modern day items in the movie was dumb:

I think that it was good that they had items in the movie that is similar to modern day items.

It keeps the movie from becoming too far-fetched. Also, chances are many things we use today will not change much in 200 years. Some things are good enough to stand the test of time without drastic changes to their design.

Someone said that the ship was being built in an oil refinery. My guess was a steam power plant. There was a cooling tower shown in one scene. I think cooling towers will still be used 200 years from now, because they work well. So, again I don't think it was a stretch.

I think the skydiving scene was too "hollywoodized". I would be surprised that even with 23rd century technology that people would be jumping rigs without a cutaway system and a reserve. Their canopy tech sure sucks. Today's canopies are better than what they have, but the push-button repack feature sure is nice.

Maybe when they are making the Vector LXVII or the Mirage G-62 you can get a reserve and cutaway system still as an option.;)

Also, you would think by then, they would have helmet visors that did not fog up before your exit.

Someone said that the ship was being built in an oil refinery. My guess was a steam power plant. There was a cooling tower shown in one scene. I think cooling towers will still be used 200 years from now, because they work well. So, again I don't think it was a stretch.

You've missed the point of the complaint. It's not whether or not an oil refinery or power plant will exist in the future, but rather that in either case it's most definitely not what a starship construction facility will look like. The set/location guys took the cheap way out and it looks stupid.

Why was the ENTERPRISE being built in IOWA anyway?

It should have been built in San Francisco, at or near the rest of the Star Fleet facilities.
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701)#Early_history
quade -

Why was the ENTERPRISE being built in IOWA anyway?

It should have been built in San Francisco, at or near the rest of the Star Fleet facilities.

Shouldn't it have been built in an orbital shipyard?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?