BillyVance

System Security - legit??

A few days ago, this program seemed to install itself on my computer. It's been giving me annoying pop ups saying my computer is infected and that I need to activate the software to clean it out. Of course, that means paying up front with a credit card.

No, I'm not doing it, without first verifying its legitimacy. Actually, I don't think I will, after seeing how sneaky it was.

Here are a few screen shots I saved to show what I've got. Anybody know of this or seen it before?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There is some information out there if you do a search for "System Security pop up"

Seems to be a virus or some type of malware :(

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

It's a sales job...

Lsas.Blaster.Keylogger is a trojan alert that secretly downloaded by the trojan. Once installed, It will display fake windows security warning alert and start offering paid version of the software. Every message generated by Lsas.Blaster.Keylogger can be ignored because they are all falsified.

Source: http://www.spywaredoctorhelp.com/lsasblasterkeylogger-removal/

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Here are a few screen shots I saved to show what I've got. Anybody know of this or seen it before?

Go to ANTIVIRUS.COM, and let trendmicro scan and clean your pc for free, right from the internet. They catch stuff Nortons, AVG, and Mccafee cannot.
Tact is not my specialty.....

Dirty Sanchez #453

Start with clearing all the cookies and temporary internet files.

If it hasn't installed, that will probably get rid if that. If it did install, use the other links to download a fix ... good luck, that one sucks.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thanks, I've downloaded the Spyware Doctor program and I've completed the scan on my computer, and eliminated a couple of things, but not the System Security program.

So I scrolled down for the instructions on how to kill spyware processes. It said to kill this process: 692527612.exe. Well, I don't see it in the taskmgr's process list. There is a process called 1276842556.exe but I have no idea what it's for.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Its a Virus. This is one of the FakeAlert family. AVG will get it if you want to go that route or just about any AV program running the latest updates should find it. This is also called AntiVirus 2009, SystemSecurity, AntiMalware, etc. Its all the same base code, they just change some aspects to keep evading AV detection for a day or two at a time.

Do a full system scan of your PC with updated AV and it should find it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I went ahead and killed the process that I posted about earlier, and finished the other steps named in that web page.

So far, this seems to have worked! No pop ups! and the icon has disappeared from the icon bar at the bottom right corner of my screen just left of the clock. :)
Now, a question. Will PC Tools Spyware Doctor do everything that Webroot's SpySweeper does? My subscription to SpySweeper is due to expire in a few days. I don't want to renew it if Spyware Doctor does the same job. I have been using SpySweeper at least 4 years now.

He's not listening.
Nobody ever does.
:P

I was distracted by the continuous pop ups by that system security shit and didn't really read the thread thoroughly. I bought the PC Spyware Doctor software thinking it would eliminate that crap and when it didn't, I had to read the directions on that webpage again and do it manually. Oh well, what's another $30. [:/]

At least I'm letting SpySweeper lapse, and a year from now this Doctor subscription will lapse or I will be using a brand new computer before then.

You really don't listen at all huh?

Get rid of the PC Spyware Doctor and use AVG, its a MUCH better program and will detect a HELL of lot more then that tool does. Get a refund on the software and just use AVG.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I had good luck with Webroot Spysweeper a few years back just for spyware. At the time, I was using Norton for virus protection- it would find the spyware during the regular virus scan, notify me that it was there and they couldn't get rid of it. Spysweeper did, and it did a much better job than anything else I tried. I'm sorry to hear your low opinion of their anti-virus protection because I ended up buying and installing it about a month ago when I was having issues with my computer at home. It seems to be working OK but now I am paranoid and will probably try AVG tonight just in case! Thanks!

Chalk another one up for Webroot SpySweeper. I too have been using it for the last couple years along with Avast AV on all my computers and haven't had any problems.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Webroot is specialized and only focuses on asubsets of threats compared to the larger AV scanners that scan for a wider variety of threats. Look at the number of threats each look for and you'll see differences.

I work with all the AV vendors under the sun on a daily basis and they all miss something that another picks up. Most times its nothing major but sometimes is its a situation where the cleaning techniques are not proper and need adjusted in the next update to enhance the abilities. Other threats require special steps that a normal scan will not pick up.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

try SPYBOT or ADAWARE. Both are free, and between the two of them, get rid of 99.9% of the malware and spy programs out there. And, like someone else said previously, AVG is great anti virus software, and like spybot and adaware, is free. I haven't paid for any anti virus or spyware programs in years.

AVG is good.

I have been using AVAST for a number of years, and find it excellent as well. It even catches nasties living in songs from Limewire.

Do you have any experience or comment re AVAST? Question also asked to normiss.

Thanks!
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

A few days ago, this program seemed to install itself on my computer. It's been giving me annoying pop ups saying my computer is infected and that I need to activate the software to clean it out. Of course, that means paying up front with a credit card.

No, I'm not doing it, without first verifying its legitimacy. Actually, I don't think I will, after seeing how sneaky it was.

Looks like some website wants to turn off the Cypress in your PC ;)
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"