SpeedRacer

do you tip the barber?

I seldom tip for anything-don' believe in it. The price for service is the price. Sure i realize most work for tips-not my concern. Not to be rough or a hard ass-just don't do it. This whole tipping thing really astounishes me.

Mr. Pink?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Dude, they cut your hair- keep them happy- they have to eat too- I tip my Hair person, besides that- she is hot, and she hasn't ever given any of my family, or myself a bad hair cut. :)

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

OK, in a restaurant, you pay for your food & then your tip pays for the waiter who serves it & gets stuff for you.

But why tip the barber? What did the cost of the haircut pay for, if not the barber's sevice?

I always tip. While I was jumping at Ft. Campbell, Ky, I met another jumper who grew up in the same town as I and went to the same barber.

OK, but no one has answered the question:

What does the cost of the haircut pay for,

And what does the tip pay for?

(with bartenders & waiters, the cost of the food/drink is paid for with the bill, then the cost of the service is paid for with the tip.)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

OK, but no one has answered the question:

I alluded to it previously.

According to a barber friend of mine, she said that she was paying a flat fee each month to maintain a chair in a larger shop in town. Then she was paid only a small percentage of the fee from the haircut. The tip was money that went straight to her. So the tips were very important to her well being. That's also why she converted a room of her house into her own shop and started her own beauty business.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dude, they cut your hair- keep them happy- they have to eat too- I tip my Hair person, besides that- she is hot, and she hasn't ever given any of my family, or myself a bad hair cut. :)

Second that. They usually remember you if you do it consistently. I always tip mine, because my haircut is pretty specific and they always wash my hair and give me a scalp massage too B|
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Yes, I always tip my hair stylist...he does a great job. I've been a loyal customer for the last 20+ years or so, he knows what I like & how I like it!;)

I hope he never leaves....I hate explaining myself to the new stylist....he/she doesn't listen very well! Happened to me once while my fav. stylist was on vacation....pissed me off so badly that the salon offered me free haircut for a year.:S

Now whenever my fav. stylist leaves for a vacation, he calls to let me know. B|

"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

The cost of the haircut pays for a haircut. The tip pays for any effort beyond the standard haircut.

The tip also covers your end of the 'social contract'. It's no secret in this country that a barber is a tipped position. If you see the same barber on a regular basis, and have developed a relationship with them and you do not tip, you are not holding up your end of the social contract, and you end up looking like (and probably being trated like) an ass.

Whatever business case you want to make for a tip is irrelevant. The standard has already been set that a barber gets a tip. You can always go to a different shop each time, or go to one of those 'supercuts' type location, and in those cases you can not tip, and not feel the effects of doing so. If you never see the same barber twice, then the person cutting your hair doesn't know that you're not going to tip. Like I said, if you frequent a certain shop or barber, they'll remember you and treat you accordingly on future visits.

I don't mind tipping a barber/stylist. I could never do their job, standing there all day making small talk with a string of people you see every month or so. More power to them, and few extra bucks out of my pocket isn't going to break me.

I don't mind tipping a barber/stylist. I could never do their job, standing there all day making small talk with a string of people you see every month or so. More power to them, and few extra bucks out of my pocket isn't going to break me.

Agreed. I just wish they'd teach more than the ONE line in stylist school: "So, do you have any plans for the weekend?" Yeah, marinating kittens. Wanna come over?