Heatmiser

Amazing female rock lead singers...

...so who are your favorites? Hard rock, alt. Rock, metal, rockabilly, any kind of rock. I'm really impressed with Lzzy Hale from Halestorm. I'd create arguments with her just so shed scream at me with those pipes:$:D
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Ann Wilson, hands down.
Stevie Nicks, Lita Ford, Pat Benatar, Cass Elliot, Janis Joplin; they're all great. I'd wager that Ann Wilson has the most hits, greatest continual presence, and power. Even in her now-obese state, she continues to belt em' out like she was 22, IMO.

Ann Wilson, hands down.
Stevie Nicks, Lita Ford, Pat Benatar, Cass Elliot, Janis Joplin; they're all great. I'd wager that Ann Wilson has the most hits, greatest continual presence, and power. Even in her now-obese state, she continues to belt em' out like she was 22, IMO.

+1

There are some fantastic female vocalists ... too many to remember , but here's a list of a few that come to mind .....

Grace Slick,
Annie Lennox,
Clare Torry,
Debbie Harry,
Melissa Etherage ,
Joan Armatrading,
Gwen Sefani,
Sheryl Crowe,
Kate Bush
Stevie Nicks,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Top of the heap has to be Janis Joplin. I actually saw Janis once, when I was thirteen years old. She was like a human tornado, I could feel the little hairs on the back of my neck standing up. When she stomped her foot down on the stage, you could feel it right through your seat. Nobody else can even come close.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Top of the heap has to be Janis Joplin. I actually saw Janis once, when I was thirteen years old. She was like a human tornado, I could feel the little hairs on the back of my neck standing up. When she stomped her foot down on the stage, you could feel it right through your seat. Nobody else can even come close.

I agree that she has a better stage presence. But voice quality? Can't agree there.

Anne Wilson is hard to beat, an amazing voice and talent. Janice Joplin sang her heart out. Never saw either live but love their work.

A favorite of mine is Kate Pierson of the B-52's. Something in her voice, maybe the Southern tinge, that I really like, especially in her duets with Michael Stipe and Iggy Pop. My favorite to look at as well as listen to? Gwen Stefani.B|

Top of the heap for me is Carrie Akre. Damn that girl can sing.

Her old band Goodness gets together every now and then and does some live shows around here. Great choice. I haven't seen her live yet but it's on my bucket list. ;)

Apparently, she's doing a couple of shows in Seattle in January but as much I like her, I can't justify a 4800 mile trip for one gig in the middle of winter. Next time maybe.

I can't believe no one has said Joan Jett. "I Love Rock N' Roll" is one of the greatest female sang rock songs of all time. I was at the club last week when that came on and the place went almost as nuts as they do over miley cyrus.

Also, Shirley Manson, lead singer in Garbage? They are huge, how could no one mention her. Her voice is amazing.

To a lesser rocking extent, Gwen Stefani had some decent hits in No Doubt. But that was back in the day. She isn't what she used to be though.

I agree that she has a better stage presence. But voice quality? Can't agree there.

I'm a big Ann Wilson fan myself, saw her once singing Hendrix songs with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell (RIP to them both...) at a Seattle Bumbershoot festival.

But actually, Janis could and did sing with a very pretty voice when she wanted to, i.e. "Summertime".

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Ann Wilson, hands down.

Ann Wilson rocks hard but... I can't believe no one has mentioned Bonnie Raitt yet. Close call for me but Bonnie gets my vote.

I struggle with putting Bonnie Raitt in the same category as most of the names here, but she's very gifted as well.
Got to share the stage with her at Roskiilde, Denmark a while back, and she's as nice and real as she is talented and tough.
Like Ann Wilson, she's got the range, timbre, and tone of a great. Half the names on the above posts are nasally, whiny wish-I-was's, IMO.

...so who are your favorites? Hard rock, alt. Rock, metal, rockabilly, any kind of rock. I'm really impressed with Lzzy Hale from Halestorm. I'd create arguments with her just so shed scream at me with those pipes:$:D

Here's a pic that I'm sure pretty much sums up the band:

The hot chick, and the three blurry guys.

Elvisio "she is hot" Rodriguez

Ann Wilson, hands down.

Ann Wilson rocks hard but... I can't believe no one has mentioned Bonnie Raitt yet. Close call for me but Bonnie gets my vote.

I struggle with putting Bonnie Raitt in the same category as most of the names here, but she's very gifted as well.

That's because she's more blues than pure rock.

Speaking of which, I really dig Susan Tedeschi. And here's a tasty tidbit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs50uz3a_-M

Aimee Allen. She's pretty new to the scene and I think the name is going to be really well known in the not-too-distant future. I've heard her described as Gwen Stephani meets Sublime and I think that's a fair description. The chick's got some serious soul and she puts on a good show.
I got nuthin