klafollette

Prank Tandem: Scares crap out of student

I haven't checked the rules, but I suspect skydiving tandems are like hang gliding tandems. The FAA allows them for instructional purposes only.

I thought the video explained the situation well and it was friggin' hysterical.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

That was hilarious. It's good to see a good harsh prank being played out like this that is on and with the target. To all those who didn't like this, it's a bad joke when it victimizes someone. This did not and this guy wasn't just some Joe off the street who the TM was picking on.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

That was hilarious! “Duncan! Duncan!” I nearly spit food all over my laptop, then I saved the video so I can watch it again later.

To all the internet-empowered safety regulators:
1) That was as close to a 'harness modification' as the passenger carrying a phone in their pocket or you carrying a streamer in your jumpsuit. I’ve seen passengers carry flowers, sports drinks and all kinds of random shit.
2) It was about as malicious as handing someone a sour jawbreaker and I bet he still had fun when it was over too.
3) Skydiving is supposed to be fun, the spiraling looked high enough to be safe and I'd say that the instructor was highly professional to conduct this 'special jump' safely while still making it exciting for the passenger.

.... then again the tandem passenger was screaming under canopy, and screaming is the mark of an unprofessional and dangerous instructor. :S

edit to add: I'm no TI, but the word student never appears in Part 105.45. The term is "passenger" ;)

This isn't flying, its falling with style.

but the word student never appears in Part 105.45. The term is "passenger"

So just how soon will you DZ be going Part 135?

edit to add: I'm no TI,

We know. You're not. STFU.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

That was hilarious! “Duncan! Duncan!” I nearly spit food all over my laptop, then I saved the video so I can watch it again later.

To all the internet-empowered safety regulators:
1) That was as close to a 'harness modification' as the passenger carrying a phone in their pocket or you carrying a streamer in your jumpsuit. I’ve seen passengers carry flowers, sports drinks and all kinds of random shit.
2) It was about as malicious as handing someone a sour jawbreaker and I bet he still had fun when it was over too.
3) Skydiving is supposed to be fun, the spiraling looked high enough to be safe and I'd say that the instructor was highly professional to conduct this 'special jump' safely while still making it exciting for the passenger.

.... then again the tandem passenger was screaming under canopy, and screaming is the mark of an unprofessional and dangerous instructor. :S

edit to add: I'm no TI, but the word student never appears in Part 105.45. The term is "passenger" ;)

This has turned into whether or not the TI committed any infraction agaist USPA policies. I agree with you for what you said above. I can also see Andy's point as well. I think this boils down to discretion. There was an ongoing war sponsered by AXE between these two people so that eliminates the passenger calling the authorites or an attorney to sue the DZ and I'm sure Skydive Long Island took that into consideration. They do have a good reputation as a DZ. The part that I do see from Andy is that the passenger could spaz out and start grabbing handles or the TI. Something not foreseeable until you have exited the plane and that's a big gamble. In the end I laughed at the video because I love pranks.

In regards to the TI doing something wrong, it's already been stated by someone who is qualifed to call that shot that he violated no rules or regulations. See LOWPULL's post below from earlier.

I do not think this stunt was funny,nor do I think it was in good taste.

That being said, the Tandem I did nothing to jeopordize his rating.

I don't think it was funny, but no rules were broken.

And, yes, I do have the ratings and authority to make that call.

Ralph Nichols

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

In regards to the TI doing something wrong, it's already been stated by someone who is qualifed to call that shot that he violated no rules or regulations. See LOWPULL's post below from earlier.

I do not think this stunt was funny,nor do I think it was in good taste.

That being said, the Tandem I did nothing to jeopordize his rating.

I don't think it was funny, but no rules were broken.

And, yes, I do have the ratings and authority to make that call.

Ralph Nichols

Even though Ralph's a TI/E and I'm not any kind of "I", I still disagree with him. Gross in-air unprofessionalism should be enough to get any instructor disciplined.

I also hereby tease Ralph for making a safety pronouncement while using the screen-name "Low pull". :D Irony score +10, Ralph.

It's interesting to note that Skydive Long Island's professional ethics and integrity are for sale at a reasonable price.

- Lady, would you blow me?
- Get the fuck outta here, you creep.
- Would you blow me for $20,000?
- Are you serious?
- Yup.
- Sigh. OK.
- I'll give you 20 bucks if you do me right now.
- 20 bucks?? What do you take me for?
- We've already established what you are. Now we're just haggling over the price.

The TI should get his rating pulled.

Agree. Pranks between these 2 guys are fine, but the DZ has a fiduciary duty to administer tandem rides as if they were taking a daughter, mother, etc. This is not a rub on the student or his prank buddy, but on the DZ and TI.

Altho I do find it funny, I would never do this to anyone. With tandems, it's all fun and pranks along the way until the door opens - then it's 100% business.

This is not as bad as the TI who stuck a streamer onto his student a while back, but it's not really that far off. If a student pays a DZ/TI to take him for a ride, the loyalty is to the student, not his jackass friend.

As a 1st time student as we all were, we place our 100% trust in that person who we entrusted our life with.

You're right.

The student might start grabbing handles.
The student might grab the TI's hands or toggles in a death grip at 50 feet.
The student might have a heart attack, asthma attack or epileptic seizure.
The student might suffer an extreme traumatic psychological stress reaction.
The student might sue and wind up owning the DZ and all its assets and equipment, cuz sure as hell this would not be covered by the waiver.
The student might complain to the authorities and newspapers/stations and wind up getting the DZ's operations shut down.

Bwahahahaahahaaaa! Hilarious!

Oh, look; I guess I just discussed it further.

Can you say: Intentional infliction of emotional distress? Is this more than a summary judgment case? Funny: yes. Smart/prudent: No.

hey buddy get off your high horse. ;) Who made you King Ding A Ling of the tandem world? You dont know anything other than what you saw on the TV, maybe if you did you wouldnt be making rash comments about ruining a man's livelihood. Get over yourself man.

I used to be a tandem instructor and my students, most of them sccared, relied on me for their lives and l let them know they have an aly in me. They all really appreciated it.

Come on people... this is a television show.

Is there a remote possibility the whole thing was "scripted"?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Come on people... this is a television show.

Is there a remote possibility the whole thing was "scripted"?

Yes, there is another thread on this in one of the other forums where the S&TA at the drop zone where it occurred basically said the tandem passenger was in on the whole thing. That is kind of what I suspected from the beginning.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"