Tiger6513

Motorola Droid...

If you're on verizon you should also consider the Droid Eris... it is verizons version of the HTC Hero.

Eris.....Android 1.5 or 1.6
Droid...Android 2.0

Do you think the same about buying a computer when one has Microsoft Seven and another Miscrosoft Vista.. good call, that makes total sense...

So far so good, this phone has lived up to expectation. Keyboard takes some getting used to but is definetly a plus. Apps are decent but unpredictable, I have tried many and only kept a few (free ones only so far) but I feel more will come as the android OS becomes more mainstream.
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

Been playing with it for over a week now (Motorola's PR team sent it to me early.)

Initial thoughts:

1) It's slick as hell. The tech behind it (and the Android platform) rocks. Good hardware and software.

2) There are many more apps for the iPhone, but that's IRRELEVANT. Fact is, 1) how many do you really need, and 2) the ones on the iPhone that matter (finance, games, personal tech, travel, etc) are all on the Droid was well.

3) Touchscreen: Having moved from a Berry to the Android, I felt like I needed a Xanax for the first few days of using the touch screen. But it's gotten easier. I like it now.

4) The only downsides for me (and they're big ones) are...

a) No international phone. This isn't the Droid's fault, but Verizon's for using a CDMA network while the rest of the world is on GSM.

b) No Auto-Text - not auto-correct, but auto-text - i.e., the ability for me to type "myaddy" and have it convert into my address, or any of the hundreds of other quick-changes I've built into my Berry over the years.

c) Can't get the damn shutter sound on the camera to go away. Lame.

Other than that, it's good. If you're not using it totally for a business environment, you'll love it.

Been playing with it for over a week now (Motorola's PR team sent it to me early.)

Initial thoughts:

1) It's slick as hell. The tech behind it (and the Android platform) rocks. Good hardware and software.

2) There are many more apps for the iPhone, but that's IRRELEVANT. Fact is, 1) how many do you really need, and 2) the ones on the iPhone that matter (finance, games, personal tech, travel, etc) are all on the Droid was well.

3) Touchscreen: Having moved from a Berry to the Android, I felt like I needed a Xanax for the first few days of using the touch screen. But it's gotten easier. I like it now.

4) The only downsides for me (and they're big ones) are...

a) No international phone. This isn't the Droid's fault, but Verizon's for using a CDMA network while the rest of the world is on GSM.

b) No Auto-Text - not auto-correct, but auto-text - i.e., the ability for me to type "myaddy" and have it convert into my address, or any of the hundreds of other quick-changes I've built into my Berry over the years.

c) Can't get the damn shutter sound on the camera to go away. Lame.

Other than that, it's good. If you're not using it totally for a business environment, you'll love it.

dont worry, new camera software coming out in the first update on december 11th, hopefully they help you out :)

this phone also has 2 processors which increases its speed over the iPhone, 10 fold.
IHYD

Other than the GSM Network there are applications to address all those issues..keyboard takes some getting used to if you have large hands but that comes with practice...had a Treo for years and the Droid is a great step to a 'modern' smartphone..

Definately some tweaks it needs but all my complaints can (and hopefully will be) addressed by software...even if I have to write it myself

Will probably root this thing next month sometime and start playing with the SDK

They have other phones for that...other than that, you're right...how dare Verizon and its predecessors (Bell Atlantic Mobile, GTE, AirTouch and PrimeCo) use a technology that has 6-8 times the capacity, with more security, than GSM...:P

I used my BlackBerry Storm in Japan for three weeks with no issues at all. B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Ok new update, I like the Droid. Great phone with lots of apps, easy to browse and download many apps at the same time. Great feel and definetly lots of fun.

Pet peeves: battery cover design ( damn thing feels like its gonna slide off at least once a day )
... Force close, this phone is more like a stubborn computer ( freezes and restarts itself at least once or twice a day )

Overall happy, just wish the damn thing wouldn't freeze up.

Anybody agree/disagree or have suggestions?
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

Ok new update, I like the Droid. Great phone with lots of apps, easy to browse and download many apps at the same time. Great feel and definetly lots of fun.

Pet peeves: battery cover design ( damn thing feels like its gonna slide off at least once a day )
... Force close, this phone is more like a stubborn computer ( freezes and restarts itself at least once or twice a day )

Overall happy, just wish the damn thing wouldn't freeze up.

Anybody agree/disagree or have suggestions?

If I was in the market, I would consider it, if it didn't have the keyboard. I really didn't like it when I was playing with it in the store. If I was going to jump ship from BlackBerry to something else, I don't know if I'd pick Droid, or even Windows Mobile...;)...

As for the freeze ups on the Droid, I've not been reading up on them, but even my Storm wasn't restarting itself daily when I got it a year ago. I'd see if you're in your first 30 days and go back to the store and see if you can't reproduce the problem, or call the tech-support folks on the phone. That's definitely not normal behavior. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!