boinky

Facebook-What Would YOU Do?

I'm in the military and only get home a couple times a year. I call home fairly often, and email every once in a while. But my parents got on Facebook a few months ago and it has definitely been nice. It lets them keep up with my life (and vice versa). Now when we talk it's not just about catching up since they're pretty caught up from FB. It gives more time to just chat about whatever we want to. It's about how you use it. And used right it can be just another great tool to communicate.

It's not so much the "chattering," as I communicate here on occasion. When/What I choose, though. I can't really explain it, but I just feel sort of odd to be asked to share family experiences with a bunch of other people.

Uh, you can communicate only what you choose to communicate on facebook, as well. I don't understand why you would have to share family experiences on there. Why can't they just send you personal messages, and you do the same back? You don't have t post those on your wall! :D:D:P

But if I created a "family" only page and they had to respond to it, isn't that sort of defeating their purpose, though?

What purpose would this be defeating? Why can't you post a family only page or album or send messages only to your family? I think that people enjoy Facebook because you can upload photo albums quickly and send quick personal messages, as opposed to doing it via email, etc. It's just easier to share more, if you choose to do so.

Fyi, NOBODY in my immediate family (parents/brothers) are on facebook, as they are all private people. I totally respect that, so trust me, I completely understand your way of thinking. I would never ask someone to do something like this for me, but I do think that it's easier to communicate via FB. (I'm in touch with bigway skydivers around the world, as well as with some of my cousins in Peru and France!)

Regarding privacy, although I post things on facebook usually several times a week, nobody has ever even known when I was dating someone or what was going on in my personal life, etc. You can be as private as you want to be. That is YOUR choice. ;)

P.S. Sorry for coming across as pushy with FB. Now, I feel like one of those cult-like Crossfit people! :D Do what makes you feel comfortable, Boinky! :)

Give it a try. What can it hurt? You might find you like it. Or not. If not, then tell them you hate it and want a different way to communicate.

Either way, you won't know until you try, will you?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I've never posted there. Obviously. So I'm not sure of all of the "ins and outs" of things. :$

But if they were responding to me on there via pm's or whatnot, wouldn't it be the same thing as just sending me a regular e-mail?

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Give it a try. What can it hurt?

Other than the time it took to create a page? ;) Of course, I have no idea how long that takes or what it entails.
Nina

But if they were responding to me on there via pm's or whatnot, wouldn't it be the same thing as just sending me a regular e-mail?

It's not the same as regular emails. You truly get to see what the other person is like from a different perspective. It's like eavesdropping on their life with permission. Plus, if they are already there, they can easily send a message your way. They seem to want to share their lives. It sounds positive to me.

Ok, ok...the truth is that lots of us are on there, and WE want to see you on there! :D:D:D:D

Ok, ok...the truth is that lots of us are on there, and WE want to see you on there! :D:D:D:D

Now that was a very cute answer! :D
Nina

It's not the same. FB is sort of like a wall of "this is what I'm doing, here's the photos of me and my girl doing x, y, z, etc etc" and your friends comment and chat on those items.

It's a very casual and easy way of keeping in touch with people. I have a nephew on facebook that I never get to see and it definitely keeps us connected.

? :)

It's a photo "moments" contest I run here.

And as for this....

Who cares about FB?

Obviously everyone but me! [:/]
Nina

Sorry, I didn't mean to step on toes! :)

No worries. You didn't step on MY toes! ;) I put a question out there, knowing that there would be a variety of opinions. I am shocked by how many people say I should join, though. :o
Nina