boinky

Facebook-What Would YOU Do?

Sorry, I didn't mean to step on toes! :)

No worries. You didn't step on MY toes! ;) I put a question out there, knowing that there would be a variety of opinions. I am shocked by how many people say I should join, though. :o

Thanks! Like I said, It's all I can do to keep up with Dizzy.com!:$
I guess I'm just old and slow.:)
Arizona only has two seasons, Hot and HOTTER!

Nope. I'm not one of them. You are not alone! :)

Really? Cool! Do you have anyone badgering you to join, though? :S

Not to much, some say get with the times.. :P

I just think there's to much crap on it to wade through!

FYI tho. My wife is on it & keeps me informed on anything important. I'm good with that.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

FYI tho. My wife is on it & keeps me informed on anything important. I'm good with that.

Just like my youngest son told me that I could use his account to see what's up. ;)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Get on FB Sparky........ All the cool kids are doing it. :P

Maybe the bold word is the problem here? ;)

And hey there! I haven't been called "Sparky" in quite a while! :D
Nina

I would not want my parents/family/coworkers on my FB page so am fine with communicating with them separately via another method.

I'm concerned one day I'll get a request from my nephews, but my sister is very good about limiting their Internet exposure.

Give FB a try and if you limit the number of friends you have or set up a family filter you can see their updates.

Don't let it be a total replacement for phone calls, just a supplement. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I'm kind of late but here's my take on it.

My mom has an account and I really wish she didn't.

My dad doesn't have an account and I really wish he did.

It's a great way to keep in touch with family, but the quality of that connection depends on the personalities of members of the family.

If I go on facebook at any moment my mom has internet access, I will get stuck in a conversation with questions I have no idea how to answer. I can't turn off the chat because I have other people to talk to. I have to be really careful about what I post for fear my mom will interpret it the wrong way and overreact to it (the aftermath of my first posted skydiving picture was an experience I wish never to live through again). If I post a status update that's negative in any way, like a simple sad face, I get a flurry of calls and e-mails and chat messages asking why I'm "so sad."

On the other hand, I want an easy way to show my dad pictures and videos of my shenanigans, without having to send new links with each e-mail (which he ultimately forgets and asks me for again).

Some of my family on facebook wont respond to anything, and I end up more frustrated and wanting to contact them by e-mail. Now I have to remember which e-mail is the one they look at often.

If he really wants you to have an account, it's a good call to get one. Just be reasonable about the amount of participation you have in each others' accounts.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

And hey there! I haven't been called "Sparky" in quite a while!

Sorry Ive been hiding....... :)

Maybe the bold word is the problem here?

Even my parents are on FB, its not as bad as youre making it out to be. Your kids are asking you to sign up so they can talk with you in the format they are used to, youre going to say no because??? I dont always talk to my parents but I cant imagine if I tried to reach out to them in anyway they would say no. Say no enough and maybe they will stop asking altogether. :(
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

I am quite impressed how seriously you took this! Thank you! :)
The kids are pushing me, so obviously they're okay with my seeing whatever they're doing in their lives. It's me that just feels weird about it.....

Nina

Well, my mom is completely computer and technology challenged, so I don't have to worry about her seeing anything they (or myself, if I joined) would post.

I really appreciate the insight you've given me. Gives me some things to think about. I have a dilemma because I can't believe that this might be the only way to communicate, particularly with my oldest son.

And yes, I am worried about all the "friend" requests. Although I post random family things here....I have grown to mostly be a more private person in the last few years. Shoot...most people probably didn't even realize I had grandkids until this post. :ph34r:

Nina

Your kids are asking you to sign up so they can talk with you in the format they are used to, youre going to say no because??? I dont always talk to my parents but I cant imagine if I tried to reach out to them in anyway they would say no. Say no enough and maybe they will stop asking altogether.

Wow! Very valuable observations and arguments. Probably some of the best that I have received. Thank you. :)

And btw....hiding is quite alright. I do it myself on a regular basis! ;)
Nina