wildcard451

People who walk into a restaurant...

...5 minutes before close. You and your ilk of that mentality can go fuck yourselves. That is all.

I have to kind of agree with this rant.

I've never had to work food service.... thankfully! Because some of those customers can be complete unappreciative asses. It would be different if the person coming in at least acknowledged that he/she is keeping the staff there working an extra 30-60minutes just for them, If the tip was reflective of that sacrifice, If there was even a "thanks." But often, as heard in this thread, it's all about what they feel "owed." The sign says til 4am... "it's only 3:55 - feed me, bitch." Yeah, that goes over well. Enjoy the iced tea. Yes, management is important, but how many restaurant owners are there at 3:30am?! So the junior mgt is there with "orders" to keep the doors open... and then people take advantage of that.

So... I think it's as much the fault of the people taking advantage of it as it is those in charge not allowing them to take advantage.

Just be better, nicer, and don't forget to tip the waitress.

Quite few of you have never worked at a restaurant.

The OP is absolutely correct, and anyone who has had to close a restaurant more than once after a 12 hour shift knows the feeling.

A customer who comes in 5 minutes before close gets whatever food is left sitting under the heat lamps, and if what they want is not there then they are SOL. The benefits to turning off the lights 5 - 10 - 15 minutes before close are zero, as long as there are workers still in the restaurant people will assume that it is still open. Should we lock the doors 5 minutes early too? Any suggestion made by non-restaurant workers is irrelevant.

Then go mend a gas station instead. If your gonna stay in the food business...then go fix me that $10 grilled cheese sandwich bitch! Hello...who do you think is really paying you? People of your mentality will ALWAYS work for someone else.

You're an invalid. I don't remember giving you permission to speak, now go collect your welfare check.

Any suggestion made by non-restaurant workers is irrelevant.

But your customers are non-restaurant workers, and they're the ones whose viewpoint you have to understand if you want to address this.

Instead of just turning off the lights, why not have a sign that you put on the door saying 'Sorry, no new food orders tonight'? If anybody comes in after that and wants to order, you can direct them to the sign.

I know as skydivers that we've been 'guilty' of this many times, especially in summer when jumping ends a little before the restaurants close in these sleepy English villages where dropzones are located :)

Crap, for a minute the I thought this was going to go like this:
A priest, a rabbi, and a witch doctor walk into.........

Anyway NEVER PISS OFF RESTAURANT WORKERS....I always remember.....they are the last to touch the food!:|

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

Quite few of you have never worked at a restaurant.

The OP is absolutely correct, and anyone who has had to close a restaurant more than once after a 12 hour shift knows the feeling.

A customer who comes in 5 minutes before close gets whatever food is left sitting under the heat lamps, and if what they want is not there then they are SOL. The benefits to turning off the lights 5 - 10 - 15 minutes before close are zero, as long as there are workers still in the restaurant people will assume that it is still open. Should we lock the doors 5 minutes early too? Any suggestion made by non-restaurant workers is irrelevant.

Obviously you have never owned a restaurant. The business does not exist for the convenience of the employees.
I know of a very popular pasta joint that puts their closed sign at the end of the line up to get in. Those people waiting in the rain to get in do not expect to be treated poorly or be rushed by the staff just because they are the last guests of the evening.

Open means open, unless the management says otherwise. If the management fails to turn the customer away, or notify the customer that he may stay only until "X"-o'clock, or otherwise prefers to accommodate the customer rather than the employees, then the employees' gripe is with the management, not the customer.

Get another job. A company posts hours, deal with it. Change the hours. Post a fucking sign that says "no new customers after XYZ. Then what, you snatch someones plate from them when clock strikes closing time? Get over yourselves. Every job has shit you don't like. You work in an industry that deals with PEOPLE. I pay good money to eat out. Plus, I am always sure to tip well, regardless of service. I give folks the benefit of the doubt. You should do the same with customers.

Rant over:)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I worked in a steak house restaurant when I was in school. We closed around 9 or 10, but the employees stayed on the clock until they were done working. If that meant standing around waiting for a couple of losers to linger over their coffee, so be it. The boss did occasionally have me vacuum everywhere but under their damn feet on occasion. :D

I think more managers would be smart to emulate Herb Kelleher of Southwest Airlines. He told rude and abusive customers to take their business elsewhere and leave his employees alone. Now that will improve company morale, I don't care who you are.

to the OP calvin19 johnmichael and pontiacgtp00 thank you.

working in a restaurant is about the shittiest job on the face of the earth the hour sucks, and more likely than not u'll have a boss you hate. if u haven't worked in a restaurant STFU and go to hell if ur gonna start a rant about how bad u want ur food.
im a bus boy at a local restaurant to put my self thru college, where i work they wouldn't turn anyone away if their life depended on it, no matter how irate and ridiculous the customer is the owner always views them as "right".
in response to some of you complaining about how people start closing up their stuff early.. the reason restaurants do that is because they need to have their employees off by a certain hour. from the time the restaurant is officially closed to the time we need to be off isn't nearly enough time there for we have to start while we are still technically open. when u pieces of shit roll in blind drunk and trash the place again i don't have time to clean it back up before i have to clock off...incidentally i get written up for everything i don't finish, compromising my reputation/reliability at the restaurant.

and for those of you who mentioned you tip generously, i really do sincerely thank you
Jump more, Bitch less.

I agree completely... I've never worked in food service, but I've worked in retail, and we all hated it when people would come in 5 minutes before we closed. It's fine if you know exactly what you need and can be in and out by closing time, but those people are rare. Most of the time people didn't seem to give a crap that we were closed... they would make the "We're closed, get out" announcement on the PA, and there were always still people just browsing, like we would stay open just for them. And I know it's worse for food service, because you've got to clean up and do all that other stuff you can't do if people are still ordering food.

Although that can be taken to an extreme... I went into a restaurant one day on my lunch break from work. I got there at 5:15, and they closed at 6. I was getting food for myself, and for some people at work, so I decided to just eat my food there, and then get theirs to go. So I told the girl behind the counter that the first part of my order was for dine-in, and the rest was to-go. She gave me this nasty look and said "Umm, we close in 45 minutes. All orders are to-go." Come on. 45 minutes? That's a little excessive.

working in a restaurant is about the shittiest job on the face of the earth the hour sucks, and more likely than not u'll have a boss you hate. if u haven't worked in a restaurant STFU and go to hell if ur gonna start a rant about how bad u want ur food.

I'm guessing you should work on those communication skills and find another career.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

When I was a kid I worked at a 24/7 truckstop - Did just about everything there, pumping fuel, restaurant etc -

The worst were the "bar crowds" on the weekends. Most folks were OK, but there are always a few who thought it was funny to trash the area around the table, crap like that. We would take everything off the table - Creamer, salt, pepper - Otherwise it had a good chance of becoming a projectile or dumped on the floor. wall, whatever....

Once in a while we needed to call in the local police or the NY State Troopers - ( Who usually didn't have much humor when dealing with the drunks-) to have some one thrown out, break up a parking lot fight, etc.

There were some local college kids that would camp out on slow nights, drink coffe, etc. and "study" - and that was usually welcome.

Yeah - it sucked working there sometimes, especially when you had a customer that for some reason felt anyone working in a place like that was a lower life form. But we had alot of good times with customers too. Some even got a free lunch or dinner.

Ahhh the good 'ol days !!

Easy Does It

Yep. Like all those skydivers who want to be on the sunset load after a long day. Fuck 'em, the manifester's tired and wants to get home.

Also the packers just wanna drink beer and call it a night. Fuck sunset load.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.