Squeak

scotchguard

if you are doing light coats, within reason can you put on too much scotchguard?
I've put on 3 light coats, will 4 coats be better, or is it just wasting liquid once you have complete coverage??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

IANAR (I am not a rigger), but I've always had really good success with 2-3 light coats. I use 2 light coats all over, and the last light coat on the white parts of my rig. I let it dry for a few hours between coats.

My Mirage is 4 years old and the white trim tape and embroidery is still white. It gets grungy during the year, but during my yearly washing of my rig it cleans up very easily.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

A good thing to also keep in your gear bag is Shout stain-removing wipes. They're great for grass stains, etc...

The birthday was great, epic, wonderful.;) Thanks for asking!:)

Sorry Kris, I dont get this... how do you get grass stains on your rig? ;)

I'll man-up enough to say that I've biffed in when trying to go big. The last time was pulling a small carve during a swoop. Yeah, I took it on the side on that one.:$

Yeah, Shout wipes are awsome for getting those out.:)

I knew you'd know that too.:P

I've never scotchguarded a rig.

If it's such a good idea, why don't the manufacturers offer it as an option? They do Birdman mods, tye die, etc. Why not Scotchguard?

Best way to keep your rig clean is not to get it dirty. That works for me.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I've never scotchguarded a rig.

Best way to keep your rig clean is not to get it dirty. That works for me.

t

But t everyone know you is a legend skygod:P mere mortals like me, need a little protection from the dirt:ph34r::ph34r:

BTW.
MY NEW MAIN ARRIVED TODAYB|B|B| NOW TO PUT IT IN MY NEW CONTAINER, WITH MY NEW RESERVE.[/RED]
:)Can't wait for the weekend :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

:)
Enjoy your new rig! Like Koi, we grow with age, but are restricted by the size of the pond we inhabit. I'm only a big fish relative to the size of my pond. That, and the fact that most of the people old enough remember me falling over, hitting powerlines, hooking it in on a 0.8 wingload etc, don't remember things very well anymore!:D

t
It's the year of the Pig.

If it's such a good idea, why don't the manufacturers offer it as an option? They do Birdman mods, tye die, etc. Why not Scotchguard?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Manufacturers do not Scotchguard rigs because of Workplace health and safety issues.
Scotchguard gives off some nasty fumes as it dries.

Do you really want to water-proof your lungs?

They would have to install big-ass ventilators and delay shipping by a day ...

I don't mean to revive an old thread, but I've been looking for more complete information on scotchguarding. Does anyone know which of the scotchguard sprays is best to use? And do you scotchguard the whole container + harness webbing or just the container?

If anyone has scotchguarded a wings with success, let me know :)

I covered my webbing, not because I needed to but didn't want it flaking.
Sandy Reid at RI indicated that it's a good idea to hit the container; I didn't think to ask about webbing. Metal, it just flakes right off. All 75+ of my wingsuits get scotch-guarded after washing.
RI will scotchguard it if you pay em' to do it, I think.
It's worthwhile, IMO, and makes it easier for a rigger to clean/wash the rig later on.
Check with your manufacturer as I did.

"

So its safe to use on the webbing? The stuff I got is the fabric and upholstery kind, with a red lid.

"

Yes!
Red lid or green lid Scotchgard are designed for upholstery and outdoor furniture.
Avoid blue lid!

"

... does the scotchgard degrade the harness webbing and therefore should it only be used on the container (not webbing)?

"

Most containers are made of NYLON fabric (parapack weave or Cordura weave), while most harnesses are made of NYLON webbing.
Chemically, webbing is just narrow fabric.
You would need an (textile) industry chemist to tell the difference. Chances are, you will not see the difference during the 10 or 15 year life of a harness.

IOW, you will do far more damage during one slide across a taxiway, than an chemical deterioration from spraying it with Scotchgard.

That makes sense, and I thought it would be fine, but I masked the harness off anyway to avoid getting it on the metal. When my rig was getting packed, the reserve pin popped out twice during closing, so one thing that scotch guard may do is make metal surfaces like grommets more slick. Could also be because the rigger wasn't feeling 100%.

That report on harness wear with runway damage is very informative, I did see the one where there was runway rash. Reminds me of jumping in Australia where I saw someone whose chest strap looked like one big piece of fuzz; they thought it was fine. I think only engineers consider these details, seems like for the most part things in skydiving are overbuilt.

DSE

Check with your manufacturer as I did.

For anyone else interested in doing this, I sent UPT an email asking about using Scotchgard on my Vector and was told that it's not recommended. Here's the actual response:

Kenneth Gajda @ UPT

UPT does not recommend using Scotch Guard, as we have seen poor results in the past.
While the coating can help repel light dirt, there is a chance that it will also end up collecting some in time. Specifically we have seen container end up looking 'leathery' from Scotch Guard use, and grass is not helping.

That being said, if you use it very lightly and proper there’s a good chance it will help you, but we still do not recommend it.

If you insist on using the Scotch Guard, you would protect any and all hardware, especially friction adapters and webbing, or you could risk slippage!