BikerBabe

Just built my first PC!

and believe it or not, it actually WORKS!

i was honestly a bit scared to do this, i knew i wanted to because it's the only way to get exactly what i want, but the actual DOING was holding me back. Finally got a little help on researching parts (my last machine was built for me, back before things like multi-core processors and SLI/Crossfire didn't even exist).

So I ordered the parts, spent most of today putting it together, took a deep breath, pushed the power button....and it booted!

It's a nice feeling of accomplishment, yanno?

for geeks like me who care, it's an Intel i7 quad core processor, 6 GB RAM, a beastly Radeon 5870 graphics card (lol, the thing is bigger than my netbook, i swear), 1 TB hard drive, 850W power supply, basically a very nice rig for about 1700 bucks including tax and shipping.

Just wanted to say: GO ME!

If you're debating whether or not to do this...do it! It is really not as tough as i expected it to be, and most of the parts came with detailed instructions on how to install them.

just waiting for my games to download....lol!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I built my first PC 5 years ago and it worked great for about that long. I elected to take advantage of a sale that HP was having earlier this summer and bought one all set up and ready. Congrats on getting it done successfully!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Congrats!!

Sounds like a nice machine - don't you feel sorta silly now, for being scared to do it?

absolutely, heh :$

Though I am glad i did thorough research before hand, i could see where problems with compatibility could arise if you don't do your homework.

It's running great, and the one game i've managed to install so far looks AMAZING
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Nice job! I have only built one machine from scratch, and it was cool when it booted the first time!
Sounds like you built yourself quite the system, and I am indeed jealous a bit.
I hope to build another one soon, but for now they are just cheaper to buy retail and then tweek a bit!
Enjoy your MOAGaming machines! Welcome to level 3 of geekdom!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

I built my buddy's machine, and my own. In all honesty, it's really quite simple, as long as you get matching parts. Often the mobo manual will explain the right connections for the case, and other parts. A lot of people don't build their own, because it seems like a complicated task, when in reality it is not. You can save a ton of money, have better cooling, a better looking case, and no junk preinstalled on the OS. Congrats on taking the time and effort to build it yourself!
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

yeah, the extra software and "services" that come on a pre-made one just make me angry, that was one of the main reasons I decided to do this. The other being i couldn't find one that had exactly the specs i wanted within my budget.

It's way cheaper to buy the parts and build it myself...comparable pre-built machine would run about $2500-$3000 ugh.

By the way, if anyone is hesitating about switching to windows 7, i say go for it, seems to be working great on this machine, and a lot of the vista problems are gone. it was an easy transition from XP to 7.

Sounds like a solid computer. Which i7 and which mobo did you use?

I am planning to upgrade an old computer with a new mobo, cpu, ram and video card. I'm debating whether to get an i7 or hold out for the i9. I know most people would say just get the i7 but early reports put the 3D animation and video editing benchmarks for the i9 at up to 50% faster than the i7. Since 3D and compositing will be 85% of what I will use the computer for it may be worth waiting.

Before the i9 announcement the plan was:
EVGA X58 Classified (rumored to support i9 processors with a bios update)
i7 920
4GB DDR3 module x2
Nvidia Quadro FX1800

now I'm thinking same setup except substitute an i9 for an i7.

When I bought my HP computer with Vista installed, I didn't really appreciate having so much bloatware installed, but at the same time I ordered it, I pre-ordered Windows 7 so that I would get it when it first came out, at half-price. :)
As luck would have it, the version of Windows 7 I received, meant I had to do a clean install, not upgrade. So most of the bloatware disappeared. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban