peterk

Rubberbandless d-bags

Anyone know where to get a berger d-bag? One that doesn't use bands, just figure8s, etc... Are manufacturers offering them for those who are qualified, or is it an after marget thing?

Thanks,
Peter
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

As of March when I was talking to a Sunpath Rep they were still trying to work out issues with the bags. They are tending to be a one canopy/one bag design. If the canopy is too loose in the bag its not holding the locking stows shut and it can lead to really hard openings. If the canopy is too tight in the bag its was said to be hard to get the flaps to close correctly. Based on the packing you could have the same canopy be loose or tight I guess.

From my understanding they are just trying to make it as idiot-proof as possible before public release since the average skydiver (like me) can do some really odd things that they had'nt thought of and want to make the bag perform as well as a regular bag.

Contact them on an update though since I'd love to get one too. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Build one.

I did, and found it to be more hassle than it was worth. Didn't change openings worth a squat, and ended up with more wear and tear. Besides rubberbands are cheap.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Another option is a main bag like MojoSparky's which uses two lines stows and then free packs the rest of the lines like a reserve free bag. Only two stows to play with.

Now that's a bag I'd love to have in my rig. Just two stows to worry about and it shouldn't be too picky on sizing. If I could buy one today I'd be all over it.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Another option is a main bag like MojoSparky's which uses two lines stows and then free packs the rest of the lines like a reserve free bag. Only two stows to play with.
The above based upon a conversation with him, not actually seeing it.

Jerry,

That just about covers it. If I ever get near a camera I will try and upload a couple of pictures.

They are easy to make if you have just a little skill and a single needle.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Ptard,

Whats up reggin? Hey, we were supposed to get those with our Wings, but for some reason we didn't. Maybe they didn't have them in service when the order went thru. Call Ankie and ask here.

Other than that......whats up......did that pesky infection finally clear up?

Yea, a little penicillin goes a long way.

You know Mr. Jose, all that BASE I did made me appreciate not having rubber bands in pack jobs that I wanted to open well. :) After I saw one of these d-bags the other day, it seems silly to jump with bands.
---------------
Peter

So I talked to some manufacturers that have extensive experience building and testing these, but was unable to get them to sell me one, not even to help out with the R&D...

So, I am going to build my own, with no known design to work with or copy except for the ones I saw a week ago. I will most likely make the same mistakes that they have made, most likely have malfunctions due to this...

If anyone has a bag design that they are willing to share, please PM it over. It seems silly to develop such a great idea from scratch when they are already developed and working well...
---------------
Peter

Here's a couple pics of my CRW freestow bag. The only difference between a CRW bag and one for freefall is the size of the grommet the PC bridle passes through (for CRW the grommet is #8; freefall uses a #1 or #2, IIRC).

Don't reinvent the wheel quite yet. Try and get in touch with Mikey Morrill, who built this and a couple other freestow bags for me. Mikey built Infinities for Larry Chernis (Northern Lite Enterprises) and later for Kelly Farrington (Velocity Sports Equipment). Last I knew he was working in the loft at Lost Prarie in Marion, MT (http://www.skydivelostprairie.com).

Bob

Here are some pictures of the bag I use. Like Robert said, it does not have a #8 grommet, it uses a #5 SS and the closing stow bands pass through #2 SS. Make it the same size as the bag you use now only but a pocket on the same side as the closing flap.

If I get the time I will try and post a working drawing of how it is built.

Sparky

Sparky, have you considered ditching the velcro and putting tuck tabs on the bag instead? I've got some ideas on how a bag could work but I don't have the materials to make it. Using locking stows solves the sizing issue the manufactors are fighting right now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Sparky, have you considered ditching the velcro and putting tuck tabs on the bag instead? I've got some ideas on how a bag could work but I don't have the materials to make it. Using locking stows solves the sizing issue the manufactors are fighting right now.

Phree,

No, I haven't given it much thought. I made the bag about 5 or 6 years ago. It is a split bag design and I did replace the velcro on the split with snaps. I might have to give tuck tabs some thought.

Sparky

I like that bag idea and agree with phree. Something other than velcro should be used. I'd imagine that the velcro would rub against the lines and make the lines wear more, no? Did you notice any difference when you went to snaps?

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

out of interest why do you guys think this type of d-bag is better than the normal ones you jump with. i mean, the parachute is out so quickly that why would you want to change a d-bag that works fine and canopies that are already designed to open nice and softly?

caspar
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Why would you want rubber bands in your equation?

When the bag is coming out, it is popping left and right feeding out lines. With this setup, you wouldn't have to leave any slack in the pack tray to get some speed for the bag before the first bands... It is quicker to pack, etc...

Thank you very much for the pics. The one I saw from Sunpath had tucktabs, I think that is the direction that we are going to try to go. Jumping 8-10 times a day would wear out the velcro within a week. And if the velcro got weak and opened premature, that would suck. The tucktabs seem to tighten the flaps against the bag just right, most consistently...

I still think it sucks that I can't get the dialed in one from the manufacturer, or at least some ideas of what they found was a bad idea...
---------------
Peter

Anyone know where to get a berger d-bag?

I know a few guys that refuse to jump them anymore after several bag locks in a short number of jumps. It's a bad feeling to throw out your PC and have nothing happen. :S
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I see a lot of tinkering jumpers have developed their own as the manufacturers are not willing to release something that they are not fully confident in every packers hands.
I myself am waiting for the "Eric berger" bag Tm. I got faith in you youngin. Do us up safe. This may not make you a millionaire but it might buy you a flash ride that other IT guys would be jealous of!
Chick-a- boom-chick-a- bow- wow.:o

koodos's thats a great idea. do you have hard openings more often with this bag? that would be my only concern. but to not have the bag tipping side to side during line stretch sounds awsome. you must have alot more head on openings.

As far as I can tell the bag has had no effect on my openings at all. After jumping this bag for several hundred jumps and making about 500 jumps without the use of a bag of any kind, I am convinced that there are only two things that affect the opening of a ram-air canopy. 1. The fill time, which is a function of design and can be controlled by how the nose is handled during packing. 2. Size and design of the slider and how it is handled during packing.:)
Sparky