TrophyHusband

i am so over static light displays

we went driving around looking at christmas lights and 3 houses in my neighborhood have lights that turn on and off set to music. 2 of them have speakers in the yard, but the volume is too low. one house has an fm transmitter and a sign telling the frequency so you can tune it in on your car radio. these displays are fucking cool. i really want to do this, but it looks like it can get really expensive really quick. maybe i'll start with a 16 channel controller and just set my christmas tree to music next year.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Christmas Mortars!

maybe some 130mm ones in red, green, white and blue?

Reminds me of some of the old 'Nam Xmas songs I heard about. e.g.

Jingle bells, mortar shells, VC in the grass,
You can take your Merry Christmas and...
:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Funny you say this!! I have just finished off with my last client of the season for doing this to their house today!!

This can be a little expensive, but for the large majority of my clients, I have designed their houses for this event when I build the home. So this is another 'Smart Home' feature.

The key componet for this to work, is a Universal Powerline Bus (UPS) to regulate different voltage drops, this does the commands for lights to turn off and on. Which every smart home has as this is needed for all the lights settings of the home!

The hardest, and longest part of the install, is the actual programing. My latest home took me over 100hrs to write, since I need to integrate the lights with the Audio portions. I usual start programing in September to be ready for the Christmas Season. (However, I start programing in May to be ready for Halloween too!)

Now what if you don't have a Smart Home? This is a little more difficult, but it is possible! If you just want outdoor sockets for Christmas lights, the investment is about $4500CDN installed into your home. Where as a home can range from $10k all the way up to $150K CDN (the most expensive home I have done to date).

Regardless, if your just looking to do christmas lights, a system will be around $4500CDN. (Yet, I am looking at designing a system, that I can rent out for the Holiday Season so that people can still do with less expense. This system will also power the christmas lights so it doesn't hose your electric bill on top of the rental cost! Though I am looking into if this would be a good business venture. Or if this will be more headache then it is worth.)

Oh the wonders I can do with PCI Boards and A/V equipment!! :$B|:ph34r::S

Call me an asshole, but why not take just a little bit of the money needed to make this AWESOME light dislplay happen, and actually help someone, like maybe give them something to EAT. :S Not trying to make someone feel guilty, just sayin.:|

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

2 of them have speakers in the yard, but the volume is too low.

Wonder if the neighbors share that opinion. [:/]

Lmao... About a week ago, I had the cops called out to a house I was installing asystem like this at. A neighbor had called the cops say that we were about to harass her. I had to show the cop the program, how it will only be on between the hours of 1700- 2230hrs... AND that it will only activate when a car is within 20ft from the house. Plus the lights will turn off once there is no cars within that 20ft radius. Just to address the concern of the neighbors.
The cop wished me a Merry Christmas and walked to the neighbor's house, and I never saw them again!!

Call me an asshole, but why not take just a little bit of the money needed to make this AWESOME light dislplay happen, and actually help someone, like maybe give them something to EAT. :S Not trying to make someone feel guilty, just sayin.:|

+1
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Hey Heatmiser! Good point you bring up here! I hope I don't come across sounding like an ass, it is not my intent here.
First, I am a professional Low Voltage Electrician. This is how I make a living so I can live. If there are people that have the income, AND want these types of systems I will do the work.

With that being said, I do have a few community charity's that my company supports. My business has donated both labour AND hardware to a youth drop-in center that was built. With state of the art multi media, lighting and security systems. I donate a Home Theatre System to a local Cancer Foundation for their annual fundraiser each year. I have been doing this now for 3 years running.
I also volunteer at a center for teens living with Epilepsy and Brain Injuries.

Ok, so its not putting food on anyone's table,you've got me there[:/] But I do feel that I am trying to put an effort at help those less fortunate then me. I do this year round, oppose to some people that think December is the ONLY time to think of those less fortunate. So this Heatmiser is how I am able to grow my business, but still remain connected to my roots.

EDITED: For spelling

+1

and another.

Why? Just why?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hey Heatmiser! Good point you bring up here! I hope I don't come across sounding like an ass, it is not my intent here.
First, I am a professional Low Voltage Electrician. This is how I make a living so I can live. If there are people that have the income, AND want these types of systems I will do the work.

With that being said, I do have a few community charity's that my company supports. My business has donated both labour AND hardware to a youth drop-in center that was built. With state of the art multi media, lighting and security systems. I donate a Home Theatre System to a local Cancer Foundation for their annual fundraiser each year. I have been doing this now for 3 years running.
I also volunteer at a center for teens living with Epilepsy and Brain Injuries.

Ok, so its not putting food on anyone's table,you've got me there[:/] But I do feel that I am trying to put an effort at help those less fortunate then me. I do this year round, oppose to some people that think December is the ONLY time to think of those less fortunate. So this Heatmiser is how I am able to grow my business, but still remain connected to my roots.

EDITED: For spelling

i didn't really get the impression that they were hating on you. i think they are questioning why ppl are paying 10grand on a lights instead of putting some of that towards charity.

i dont feel that you should have to defend what you do. its what you do and how you make a living. i dont feel that just because you deal with Xmas lights you should be obligated to donate to charity. its awesome that you do. but its how you put food on your own families table and its wrong to question that.
Jump more, Bitch less.

+1

and another.

Why? Just why?

Agreed. A pointless waste IMHO.

+1

and another.

Why? Just why?

all this from skydivers? jumping out of planes is just as frivolous. i'll bet we could take a look at all of your lives and find tons more wasteful things that you not bought and fed someone instead. take this hypocritic bullshit to speaker's corner.

www.kjandmegan.com

+1

and another.

Why? Just why?

As is jumping from aeroplanes, in many people's humble opinion.

I'm not into light shows, or any of the gaudiness that accompanies Christmas, but why are we picking on this expenditure as somehow immoral? We all of us 'waste' money that charities could use. :|

i've done a little looking and found a 16 channel controller for $250 american. of course then you have to get several other pieces of equipment plus the software and the lights themselves, but i think it could be done for under $1000. if i were to do it, i would buy the songs with the light sequences already programmed, but at $25 a song, i wouldn't have very many songs.

www.kjandmegan.com

2 of them have speakers in the yard, but the volume is too low.

Wonder if the neighbors share that opinion. [:/]

obviously there's a reason it's low. it would probably be just right for someone walking by the house, but when driving by in a car with three kids its hard to hear.

i wonder what the people who live across the street from these displays think. the flashing would probably get annoying after a while.

www.kjandmegan.com

Sorry dude, that was a stab at myself as much as anyone, and not an attack directly at you. I got no problem with someone spending their money however they want. :)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

i dont feel that you should have to defend what you do. its what you do and how you make a living. i dont feel that just because you deal with Xmas lights you should be obligated to donate to charity. its awesome that you do. but its how you put food on your own families table and its wrong to question that.

Damn straight.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban