Nataly

Anyone climb Mount Kilimanjaro??

Thanks mate - I will look into that. My mom is in NB and we *are* French-Canadian, so I will pass on the info to her as well :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Thanks mate - I will look into that. My mom is in NB and we *are* French-Canadian, so I will pass on the info to her as well :)

I think we need some pics of Mom so we can determine if she is fit enough for the climb. :ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I think we need some pics of Mom so we can determine if she is fit enough for the climb. :ph34r:

She *is* fit, and no you *can't* see mother-daughter pictures!! :D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Another fantasy shot down.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Another fantasy shot down.[:/]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opcmQFccWK0

What they do is climb mount meru to acclimatise, and then do the kili. Afterwards, they do a safari in the serengeti.

they do the trip in 16 to 20 days depending if you do the safari or not. The acclimatisation climb of the Meru (wich gives you amazing views of the kili) makes the Kili a lot safer, and also gives you better chances to make the summit. Hope this helps!

I was lucky enough to spend a month in Tanzania several years back. While I didn't have time to climb Kili during my stay, I did climb Mt. Meru. It was TOTALLY worth it, and I would definitely recommend it. Most people used the local porters for their gear, and just carried a day pack. We hired a park service guide even though we didn't use porters, I think it was mandatory - he carried a rifle for our "protection" from the wildlife. We encountered elephants and water buffalo, although I never felt in any danger.

It was a 3-4 day trip, I went in September and although the temps on the ground were pretty hot, at altitude it was COLD! My water bottle was frozen solid at the top.

I would recommend Meru because the views of Kili are phenomenal. We watched a full moon rise behind Kili, it came out of nowhere. Then several hours later we got up at 2 am, summited just before dawn and watched the sunrise behind Kili as well.

There are 2 "base camps" on Meru - bunk style housing - so there is no need to bring a tent or anything. And the porters take care of your meals too. One of the friends I went to Meru with did climb Kili earlier in his stay (he was in the Peace Corps) and from what he told me the trip was very similar...just longer, obviously. PM me if you want more info....

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Water buffalo are fairly placid animals, Caped Buffalo are another thing entirely.

My bad, they must have been Cape Buffalo. I googled water buffalo & cape buffalo and we definitely saw a herd of cape buffalo (the horns are different). Looks like wild water buffalo don't even live in Africa. :D:P

I wish I had access to my pics, I got some great ones but they're all on my external hard drive at home and I won't be home for several weeks. :S

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

No problems, I just didn't want people to make a fatal mistake.

With the Caped Buffalo is you can see them, you are in danger.

They are the most dangerous animal in Africa, Hippos and Crocodiles are just slightly behind.

With the hippo and the crocodile you need to be pretty close and or near water to get attacked.

Yes I know Crocs get all the press but you usually will not get a group of over 100 after you.

.With the Caped Buffalo is you can see them, you are in danger.

They are the most dangerous animal in Africa, Hippos and Crocodiles are just slightly behind.

Hippos kill far more people in Africa than buffalo do.

PS. Is a Caped Buffalo some kind of bovine super hero?
:)

I climbed it back in 2001. Machame Route. Fantastic trip! Definitely worth doing. If you get the option to take an extra day or couple of hours to acclimate on the Shira Plateau, DO IT! It will make the remainder of the climb more enjoyable.

Cheers,

Vinny
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!