Amazon

787 First Flight

Very exciting stuff. I'll definitely be watching. I remember how glued to the TV I was when the 777 first flew, with many of my designs in critical functions. It wasn't too long into the flight test program before had to use my alternate landing gear extension switch. I was so glad that it was a collared circuit breaker (maintenance had failed to remove it) that caused the need for the alternate extension switch to be used, and not something for which I was responsible. Designing airplane parts was a lot more fun than car parts.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Oh I hope the flight test goes better than the wing load test went. We really need that thing to fly and be delivered! That plane will lead to at least 250 more tech's being hired at my hub alone. Come on Boeing get this thing to the customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Very exciting stuff. I'll definitely be watching. I remember how glued to the TV I was when the 777 first flew, with many of my designs in critical functions. It wasn't too long into the flight test program before had to use my alternate landing gear extension switch. I was so glad that it was a collared circuit breaker (maintenance had failed to remove it) that caused the need for the alternate extension switch to be used, and not something for which I was responsible. Designing airplane parts was a lot more fun than car parts.

I have been all over #1, #2 and #3 for a couple years making sure that the mechanics could keep their tablets hooked up to our app that schedules all the kits and parts, ALL the tasks, and all the various QC that every part has to go thru over and over till the FAA signs off.

Did I mention I volunteered to test jump it for them???:)

Full flaps, gear down, rear door open and 4000 ft over Paine:)
( and yes I stood in the rear port door checking out how close the fusalage and horizontal stabilizer was;)) The people I worked with thought I was nutz.. but.. hey its completely doable:)

Well tomorrow morning at 10 AM PST is scheduled to finally be the flight. There is supposed to be a webcast that yall can watch if interested:)
http://787firstflight.newairplane.com/ffindex.html

The weather is supposed to be sucky.. but hey.. its winter in Seattle.:ph34r:

If they let Tex Johnson take it up for the first flight, I'll be watching.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And they had rigs:

"The jet will have a standby radio phone, and Carriker and co-pilot Randy Neville will carry six handheld radios. They'll also have two parachutes.

In the worst-case scenario, they can flip a switch behind them that will blow out eight windows to depressurize the airplane. Another switch will detonate a charge to blow off an exit door behind the right wing. Then they can jump."

From: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/boeingaerospace/2010509548_787profile15.html

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

"The jet will have a standby radio phone, and Carriker and co-pilot Randy Neville will carry six handheld radios. They'll also have two parachutes.

In the worst-case scenario, they can flip a switch behind them that will blow out eight windows to depressurize the airplane. Another switch will detonate a charge to blow off an exit door behind the right wing. Then they can jump."

That kind of sounds like a former DZO's ferry flight a few years ago!:o

Annnd that's why jumpers couldn't do the maiden flight. "Oh no...5 left...cut..." BANG BANG And then the first ever jump of the 787 happens on the first flight. Those firsts would require more then just a case of beer!:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

And they had rigs:

From: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/boeingaerospace/2010509548_787profile15.html

I'm assuming they would have to make the decision to leave while the plane is still flying straight and level. I can't imagine trying to get from the cockpit to a door behind the wing while the airplane is doing pilotless aerobatics.:S:)

And they had rigs:

I'm assuming they would have to make the decision to leave while the plane is still flying straight and level. I can't imagine trying to get from the cockpit to a door behind the wing while the airplane is doing pilotless aerobatics.:S:)

No shit. They'll likely be bouncing around in the cabin. They need a poop chute directly from the cockpit to the aft door. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

And they had rigs:

Yeah, when I heard about the bailout option on the radio this morning I thought "BS", but it might be true. Long walk/crawl on the ceiling/walls/floor to get to the door behind the wing.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG