Squeak

If not an iPhone than What

All due to advertising my friend.

My iPhone works fine in secure communication areas.
Not that I would EVER test it there by any means....:P:ph34r:
Co-workers with Verizon, T-mobile (the worst in our work testing), and MetroPCS (I won't even begin to discuss their issues!), have ZERO signal inside our secure facilities. We've tested them all because we carry their traffic on our networks. Keep that in mind as well. Just because you subscribe to Verizon services, a significant portion of that traffic will pass through another carrier's networks.

The iPhone DOES work perfectly with all business e-mail servers.
Whether an organization decides to support that function is another issue.
Mine synchronizes with Exchange Server without requiring a server app (BES) to run in conjunction with Exchange Server even though the company doesn't support it.

It's simply a matter of choice I think.

My Dad switched from a Blackberry to an iphone a few months ago. He's a big guy and has "fat fingers", as he puts it. He's given up on being able to text or e-mail with his iphone because he makes too many mistakes with the way the letters are spaced on the screen. He said the Blackberry was better in that respect.

I offered to trade him my Blackberry for his iphone but he wouldn't go that far. :ph34r:

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It is well known that the iphone in conjunction with AT&T does not have the greatest network coverage. Hence why SNL did a skit cracking on that issue because of the truth to it.

That's going to be pretty location specific though. I think you're going to need to A> Choose your network and then B> Find a phone that works with it.

SNL is based in New York and I'm sure the AT&T network in that city has been slammed by iPhone usage.

It is well known that the iphone in conjunction with AT&T does not have the greatest network coverage. Hence why SNL did a skit cracking on that issue because of the truth to it.

That's going to be pretty location specific though. I think you're going to need to A> Choose your network and then B> Find a phone that works with it.

SNL is based in New York and I'm sure the AT&T network in that city has been slammed by iPhone usage.

It's more than just NYC and San Francisco, but the density there is highest. Even AT&T is blaming 40% of their data demand on 3% of its iPhone users. They're thinking of ways to encourage less data demand. When a provider blames its customers for its problems and want to throttle back usage, it indicates to me two things:

1. The provider is not equipped to fix/enhance their infrastructure to meet demand near term
2. The provider is not equipped to build out their infrastructure for increased demand for the long-term either
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

3G Coverage for the iPhone sucks in a lot of the country. The iPhone is very slow on the older network. It sucks being dependent on one for work, while at the fringes of the 3G coverage area. Missed and dropped calls, email delays, etc, are part of the daily experience. If you live in a major metropolitan area with good service, iPhone is the way to go.

I have a lot of clients that have iPhones. Battery life is an issue. If you have good 3G service and don't do wireless network connections, turn it off. When you get the 20% battery life error message, connect up to a charger or a USB port ASAP, or turn it off. If you run out the battery a lot, the battery WILL fail. It is not a warranty item.

Apple told me I had a 2 year warranty on the battery when I purchased my 3GS.
I'm not seeing the issues people are complaining about AT&T ... must be a location issue as you said.

I love the device sooooo much, I'm becoming a 'switcher' - and I love the MacBook Pro more than just about any PC I've ever had.
I've not yet had the Kool Aide either.

My Dad switched from a Blackberry to an iphone a few months ago. He's a big guy and has "fat fingers", as he puts it. He's given up on being able to text or e-mail with his iphone because he makes too many mistakes with the way the letters are spaced on the screen. He said the Blackberry was better in that respect.

I offered to trade him my Blackberry for his iphone but he wouldn't go that far. :ph34r:

Has he tried turning the iphone sideways? The keyboard expands and the spacing is much more user friendly for those with "fat fingers".

I'm going through every device I can find to connect to the MacBook....including all the old ones I have.
I have yet to find anything that OS/X won't recofnize IMMEDIATELY.
No 5 minutes spent trying to get it to recognize, 20 minutes on the internet downloading drivers and software, no 30 more minutes trying to convince it to actually install the drivers and software, 10 minutes of cussing because it won't effing work.
And the graphics. OMG.

Quite simply, it just works, Intuitively, correctly, and quickly.
Same with my iPhone.

any who...sorry for the thread drift.

Sounds like it comes down to location for coverage and personal choice or like/dislike of the hardware.

Just a general update to you Squeak, the rantings you're reading about the iPhone and it's performance issues in the US are not necessarily representative of how they perform in Europe and Australasia...there are specific definable issues in the US and AT&T relative to the iPhone. Non-US GSM carriers have higher signal/coverage saturation and capacity. AT&T's incumbent infrastructure was not build from the ground up as a GSM platform.

So, if you get an iPhone, it's not likely you'll see the problems that many are pointing out here in the US.

Now, having said that, I still think you should get a Blackberry because then you can join our BBM Group, http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3736545;page=unread#unread

B|

Make light!

:D:D:D

Bear in mind that "infrastructure" is interesting in the wireless world regarding territories. All ISP's carry ALL wireless companies voice traffic.
All you need is a tower and it will be connected to some carrier's network...so the inability of the carrier to provide sufficient bandwidth for their services is not always their direct fault.

All you need is a tower and it will be connected to some carrier's network...so the inability of the carrier to provide sufficient bandwidth for their services is not always their direct fault.

I'd be really surprised if AT&T wasn't using their own network backbone for data considering they're one of the biggest network providers in the nation. Also I really doubt the bandwidth bottleneck is not enough fiber in the ground.

My T-Mobile phone has a soft cap of 10 gigs per month. I do that per day on my landline cable internet access pretty regularly.

More likely it's just that all these new smartphones are using a shit ton of data and the phone carriers can't scale fast enough. Throw in tethering to laptops and it gets even worse.

Then I won't tell you how many Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile cell towers I've connected to our network, established the EVPL connections, the BGP routes, nor the MPLS/VPLS configs we have.
It's a shit ton.
It's not about the amount of fiber they have or don't have. It's territorial per FCC rules.
T-Moblie would be the largest given they aren't an ISP and have no backbone per se - at least in the US last I knew..

THEN what. Not "than" what. B|

I have been sitting here waiting for 3 days to find out which dickwad would correct that. Thanks for identifying yourself.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

iPhone is a BSD kernel, just like Mac OS X.

A common misconception. Both Mac OS and iPhone are based on the Mach kernel. Although BSD and Mach are similar, they aren't the same, BSD coming from Berkeley, and Mach coming from Carnegie Mellon. Steve Jobs uses Mach on most of his projects, including the now-defunct Next computer.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I'm waiting on the Nexus SIx.
I hear it is really powerful, although it has only a four-year life-span.

Too many buttons on that one ;) Everyone thinks robotic women will be "easier" than the real thing. I think they will be much more complicated :D
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I have been sitting here waiting for 3 days to find out which dickwad would correct that. Thanks for identifying yourself.

Oh quit complaining, Squeak;
We all saw it;
Be thankful that at least one person had hope you were still trainable.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Oh quit complaining, Squeak;
We all saw it;
Be thankful that at least one person had hope you were still trainable.:P

another chain puller
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

:D:D:D

Bear in mind that "infrastructure" is interesting in the wireless world regarding territories. All ISP's carry ALL wireless companies voice traffic.

I'm not talking about the PSTN that carries the back end traffic. I'm talking literally about AT&T's wireless coverage. The PSTN has far more capacity than the wireless system could deliver to it.

Their network was built off the original AMPS/FDMA (like everyone) and migrated to TDMA, which is like GSM in terms of channeling and dividing frequency slots, but does not have any "data" standards per se. GSM accounts for this with larger channels, but actually requires more physical towers (saturation) to maintain service.

In Europe, for example, they migrated directly to GSM off AMPS/D-AMPS. SIM cards were the size of a credit card (my European acquaintances surely remember), and the system was physically installed to maximize that standard. AT&T implemented GSM over their legacy system, and didn't aggressively build out to meet the demand. They've been suffering this problem for over 10 years.
Make light!